Author Topic: No prices on cocktail menus - what do I do?  (Read 6430 times)

lilblu

No prices on cocktail menus - what do I do?
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:32:26 AM »
I don't eat out at restaurants very often. On the rare occasion that I go out with relatives, they usually order cocktails and I'm often tempted to get one too. But the problem is that the cocktail menus don't include prices and I like to know how much things cost beforehand. In fact, I always base what I order on how much things cost. I usually order the lower priced items even if I want the more expensive stuff.

So how am I supposed to find out how much the cocktails are if there are no prices on the menu? I don't feel comfortable asking and it seems rude to ask about the prices. I guess I should mention that these are just regular restaurants where jeans are the standard attire. If this were a fancy restaurant I believe it would actually be considered inappropriate to ask about prices, correct?

I'm inclined to think that asking about the prices is inappropriate and that I shouldn't do it. But I just don't know. These are the same restaurants that offer coupons online if you signup with their website, so it can't be that horrible.  What's the opinion on this?

I hate going to restaurants because of this kind of thing. I'm extremely shy and I have anxiety whenever I have to talk to the server. Giving my order isn't too bad, but anything beyond that is horrible for me.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: No prices on cocktail menus - what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:38:22 AM »
Asking for prices isn't inappropriate - at least not at any of the restaurants I've been to. However, if asking the server makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe you could call the restaurant at a different time (early, so they won't be busy) and ask about the prices there?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

sweetonsno

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:27:03 AM »
It seems very strange to me that there are no prices on the menu. Are you sure about that? I've been to restaurants that organize the cocktail menu by price. There might be a $6 page, an $8 page, and a $10 page, for instance. Sometimes it's hard to find the prices because they aren't right next to the menu items and they may be written in a more subtle font.

Anyway, I understand your hesitation about asking, though I don't think it would be rude to do so. MariaE has a good idea if you decide that you'd prefer to not ask while you are sitting with your relatives.

Are your relatives treating? If so, and they're ordering cocktails, you probably have a green light to do the same. You can ask your hosts for a recommendation (and assume that they will suggest items that are within their "acceptable expenditure" range), order what they're having, or order a well drink, which is likely to be cheaper.

StarFaerie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:46:16 AM »
I don't think it is even inappropriate to ask about price when it's your money that you are spending. I have asked prices in very expensive restaurants, usually when the sommelier is giving his wine suggestions, price is always part of my decision so I ask for the information that I require.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:27:28 AM »
I have seen some restaurants who don't list prices on cocktails and usually because the price can change if the a specific brand of alcohol is requested. Call the restaurant before hand and ask the price of a specific type you enjoy.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:19:53 AM »
I've been to several restaurants that don't put the prices on their mixed drinks.  I have ordered a drink only to find it was more expensive than the meal.  Since then I ask.

Kaypeep

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:10:13 AM »
If possible, arrive at the restaurant early and go to the bar and ask the bartender to explain the drink menu and pricing structure.  As someone pointed out, depending on the brand of liquor, the prices can change.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
This is one of my biggest peeves about restaurants these days.  There are chain restaurants that don't list any drink prices, including soda.  It really would be a good thing if people massively complained about this by sending e-mails to corporate and posting this on Yelp.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »
What do you do? You do what anyone does. You ask.
Words mean things.

ti_ax

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
If you're spending your money, you have every right to ask the price up front.

audrey1962

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
If youre paying, then It's always appropriate to ask about prices, regardless of how "fancy" the venue is.

gellchom

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »
 I see this more and more, and I hate it.  I can only assume that restaurants are counting on customers being too embarrassed to ask.  I'm not shy, and I feel uncomfortable asking, too.  I do it, but I resent it.   If someone else is treating, I wouldn't ask, and if I am treating others, I feel like I am dissuading them from ordering whatever they want, so I don't like to ask then either.

I don't buy it about the price of a requested premium brand changing the price.  In that case, the server should simply inform the patron of the additional charge when they request the brand, with or without a notation on the menu.  They seem perfectly capable of doing that with food -- like onion rings instead of fries with a sandwich.

I really wish restaurants would stop this nasty practice.

thedudeabides

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 08:59:53 AM »
Ask.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »
I've seen the no price thing, and that is enough to make me decide to not. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »
I hate when they don't even have the price of soda listed.  I just ask "What's the price of XYZ?"