Author Topic: No prices on cocktail menus - what do I do?  (Read 6932 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: No prices on cocktail menus - what do I do?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
Just ask, no one is going to think less of you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:01:50 AM by Harriet Jones »

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
DH and I went into this bar/lounge because it looked cool and ordered cocktails. We hadn't consulted a menu because drinks are generally drinks.  The bar snacks were truffle oil popcorn. After I discovered this I asked how much a round of drinks for the two of us was. The bartender did not think the question was rude at all. ($30, about twice the normal, if you're interested). If money is a concern, just ask.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Oh Joy

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
I can see how this would be uncomfortable, as I'm picturing several different exchanges in my head.  All socially acceptable, but possibly not feeling very refined.

If it were me, I might start with, 'Some of these cocktails sound really good!  What's the price range for the drinks on this menu?'  If the bottom's in my range but the top isn't, then I might follow by asking about a couple that appealed.  Otherwise I know they're all OK or not OK for me.

Best wishes.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
It is not rude to ask the price of something for sale in a retail establishment. And that's what a restaurant or bar is--a retail establishment that sells food and drink for consumption on the premises.

I think it is rude of the restaurant not to list prices.

Just ask. "How much is a martini?" or "How much is a gin and tonic?"
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
Of course, you should ask but several factors can give you an idea of relative prices. 

As a rule, drinks may be priced by 'moves'.  A gin and tonic is a two-move drink so it will normally be cheaper than a fancy martini. A sea breeze is a three-move drink but, since two of the ingredients are fruit juice, it may be only slightly more expensive than a gin and tonic. 

A gin and tonic made with 'well' gin (say Gordon's) will be cheaper than one made with Bombay Sapphire. 

You also have to be careful with wine.  I once ordered a glass that turned out to be more expensive that Mr. Thipu's Maker's Mark.  From that point on, it was house wine only. 

Still, it's always best to ask.  No one will think any the less of you for it. 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
Some restaurants have a separate drink menu with prices, but most of the time, drink prices are not listed because they do change often.  You seem to limit yourself to the cheapest items on the menu, so why not ask the server what the drink specials are for the day?  That way you know you are getting something that won't be too expensive. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
A gin and tonic made with 'well' gin (say Gordon's) will be cheaper than one made with Bombay Sapphire.

This is a very good point. They may not list prices because it depends on whether you get well booze or brand name booze. Just use your words, OP, and ask.

delabela

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
Some restaurants have a separate drink menu with prices, but most of the time, drink prices are not listed because they do change often.  You seem to limit yourself to the cheapest items on the menu, so why not ask the server what the drink specials are for the day?  That way you know you are getting something that won't be too expensive.

This might be a good idea - or if you want to not deal with the whole thing, generally beer and wine are going to be cheaper than mixed drinks.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
What do you do? You do what anyone does. You ask.

My very first POD.

Otterpop

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
I've been to several restaurants that don't put the prices on their mixed drinks.  I have ordered a drink only to find it was more expensive than the meal.  Since then I ask.

I've had that happen too, ordered the enchilada special for $7.99 and a margarita.  When the bill came the margarita was $13.99!!! I had brought only $20 and had to pay the rest on credit card.

Ask the server without hesitation or embarrassment.  Having no prices on the menu is aggravating and is THEIR problem, not yours.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »

This might be a good idea - or if you want to not deal with the whole thing, generally beer and wine are going to be cheaper than mixed drinks.

I'd be careful. I've found that the special cocktail of the day, much like the dinner special, is more expensive than otherwise.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
Ask if they have a cocktails menu.  Then if they hand you one with no prices in it, you can say nothing interests you, and go with water or iced tea.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
Ask if they have a cocktails menu.  Then if they hand you one with no prices in it, you can say nothing interests you, and go with water or iced tea.

I just don't see this as more desirable than simply asking. I mean, if I specifically want a cocktail, I'm not going to punish myself by only having water just because I'm piqued about the menu format.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
Not putting the price of the cocktails on the menu seems like an attempt by the restaurant to be hoity toity and I can see how it would be intimidating to ask (as in, 'if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it.").  I say ask anyway.  I sure wouldn't go into a clothing store or a auto sales business and buy something without checking the price...or even the five and dime, for that matter.  Imagine ordering a cocktail, price unknown, drinking it, worrying all the time about the price, and then getting the bill for $51.95 for one Screwdriver.  >:(
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Specky

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
If they don't list prices, I order water.