Author Topic: That Party is Offensive! (Or, "Those Racist Unicorns")  (Read 9477 times)

ilrag

Re: That Party is Offensive! (Or, "Those Racist Unicorns")
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
Well was it that it was a unicorn or a piñata that was the issue.

The best I can come up with is maybe the fact that unicorns are usually (always?) white is how you could call them racist?

Carotte

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
Maybe it's because a unicorn is a fantasy animal, doesn't exist, so using one instead of say a donkey would be sending the message 'we don't care if it's accurate we just want to party' ?

Unless I'm missing something and using a unicorn pinata is extremely common.

But then that wouldn't be racist, but insensitive.

Chivewarrior

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
The signs featured a man lying on the beach with a sombrero over his head and another covering the bits that need to be covered. There was that, the fact that it's a Cinco de Mayo party at all, and the unicorn pinata, and that's really all there was to the party. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't had a fight with anyone in the house or anything like that-- he's just like that; this isn't the only minority group he's "stood up for".

It just seems to me that in all of his speaking out, he only ends up upsetting people and calling controversy to the issue, and then claiming that the people who are upset are just racist/sexist/whatever-the-issue-of-the-moment is and don't want to check their privilege, and there really *has* to be a more appropriate way to go about raising issues like this that won't result in crazy amounts of drama.

I'm not actually sure whether it was unicorn or pinata that was the issue, although the phrasing used was always "*curse words* unicorn pinata" and followed by how racist it is; the two words were never used separately.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
The signs featured a man lying on the beach with a sombrero over his head and another covering the bits that need to be covered. There was that, the fact that it's a Cinco de Mayo party at all, and the unicorn pinata, and that's really all there was to the party. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't had a fight with anyone in the house or anything like that-- he's just like that; this isn't the only minority group he's "stood up for".

It just seems to me that in all of his speaking out, he only ends up upsetting people and calling controversy to the issue, and then claiming that the people who are upset are just racist/sexist/whatever-the-issue-of-the-moment is and don't want to check their privilege, and there really *has* to be a more appropriate way to go about raising issues like this that won't result in crazy amounts of drama.

I'm not actually sure whether it was unicorn or pinata that was the issue, although the phrasing used was always "*curse words* unicorn pinata" and followed by how racist it is; the two words were never used separately.

OK, the signs sound offensive and stereotypical to me.  I can understand being offendedby them, though it would be better to express the sentiment in a more refined manner.

Chivewarrior

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
Well, yes, the signs *were* offensive and stereotypical-- which is why I want to know what the effective way of calling attention to that would have been, because this wasn't it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
We know he could have/should have expressed himself better but has your group spent any time at all on "what were we thinking?"  I am kind of flummoxed as to why you would spend all that much time worrying about him when you have plenty of material to evaluate on the end of your group.  Yeah, the way he voiced his concerns were monumnetally ineffective but what you describe just kind of stuns me.

Chivewarrior

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
Oh, the group doesn't think it's offensive at all, and the time they're spending on it is making fun of him for daring to be offended. I'm kind of in a weird position because I think everybody did it wrong; I'm only "we" in the sense that I live here-- hence my original question about "what would be an effective way to express offense to a campus event, because this wasn't it?"

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
I would probably write a letter to the school paper.  I might also contact any governing board and/or staff advisor connected with the group.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
There was a kerfluffle at my college when one of the frats had a "Viva Mexico" party and gave everyone green cards  :-\ I know there was quite a bit about it in the school paper and the frat's governing body got involved, but that was mostly because of the bad press.  I don't know that you'd want to encourage that route, though, because it can get so easily out of hand from a public relations angle.  Far better to have an internal grievance process.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
There was a kerfluffle at my college when one of the frats had a "Viva Mexico" party and gave everyone green cards  :-\ I know there was quite a bit about it in the school paper and the frat's governing body got involved, but that was mostly because of the bad press.  I don't know that you'd want to encourage that route, though, because it can get so easily out of hand from a public relations angle.  Far better to have an internal grievance process.

If I wasn't in the group I probably would be perfectly comfortable with them reaping the consequences of their actions so far as public relations went.  I think in that case it would be even more important to express the objections in language that was firm but appropriate so there was a clear contrast.

delabela

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
We know he could have/should have expressed himself better but has your group spent any time at all on "what were we thinking?"  I am kind of flummoxed as to why you would spend all that much time worrying about him when you have plenty of material to evaluate on the end of your group.  Yeah, the way he voiced his concerns were monumnetally ineffective but what you describe just kind of stuns me.

Pod to this.  When a group or individual puts out offensive material, they should not be surprised when people take offense. 

I edited my post because I realized my first response was too emotional.  It's a hot button issue for me when people do something racist/sexist/homophobic etc, and then focus on how oversensitive the people who call them on it are.  OP, I can't quite tell if that's what you are doing here; I will assume not.  However, the others in your group are. 

To be more effective, he could write to the paper and contact the governing body.  To be particularly effective, he could contact financial contributors to the group and let them know what their money supports. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:08:49 PM by delabela »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
Well, he could have written a strongly worded but polite letter to the group, its sponsors or the administration. Hurling insults was a poor approach.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Iris

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
Cracked.com has a funny take on why it's not so insensitive to celebrate it (warning: language).
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-cinco-de-mayo-most-american-holiday/

Why? Why would you post a link to Cracked? I had things to do today you know  :'(
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

HorseFreak

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
Cracked.com has a funny take on why it's not so insensitive to celebrate it (warning: language).

Why? Why would you post a link to Cracked? I had things to do today you know  :'(

MWAHAHAHA!

BarensMom

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

MWAHAHAHA!

Because of this thread, I've broken out the Daily's margaritas (and it's 8 a.m. here). Now I'll be reading the Cracked site in a drunken stupor for the rest of the day.