Author Topic: That Party is Offensive! (Or, "Those Racist Unicorns")  (Read 9426 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: That Party is Offensive! (Or, "Those Racist Unicorns")
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
OK, dissenting voice here...I see nothing wrong with ChiveWarriors party poster.  It is a picture used on post cards from Mexico and on Hallmark greeting cards!  I have seen it before, years ago, so it is not new.  If they had put out green cards or (and I heard about this theme and found it wrong) a border crossing party where there was barbed wire around doors, then it is racist, but a picture of a guy laying on a beach with a sombrero on his face and a tiny sombrero on his manly area?  Well, the obviously non Mexican girls at an event I was at today who wore sombreros should have been booed because they were being racist.  And a unicorn pinata is not racist...it is something my DD would squeal with delight over.  Most of the pinatas you see for Cinco De Mayo are brightly colored burros.  All Mexican chain restaurants also can be considered racist, as they are not run by Mexicans, but middle aged white men, but they pull out all the stops to have people come in to eat their meals and drink their margaritas.  Real racism exista and it is disgusting to me, and I stand up to it , but this was so not racism, but a event, not unlike St patrick's day for everyone to have a reason to drink (my issue with certain holidays!)   

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
IMHO people throw out the racist card much more often than warranted because it gets attention and people need to take it seriously.

Kind of like hem they banned Speedy Gonzales because people thought he might be racist.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
OK, dissenting voice here...I see nothing wrong with ChiveWarriors party poster.  It is a picture used on post cards from Mexico and on Hallmark greeting cards!  I have seen it before, years ago, so it is not new.  If they had put out green cards or (and I heard about this theme and found it wrong) a border crossing party where there was barbed wire around doors, then it is racist, but a picture of a guy laying on a beach with a sombrero on his face and a tiny sombrero on his manly area?  Well, the obviously non Mexican girls at an event I was at today who wore sombreros should have been booed because they were being racist.  And a unicorn pinata is not racist...it is something my DD would squeal with delight over.  Most of the pinatas you see for Cinco De Mayo are brightly colored burros.  All Mexican chain restaurants also can be considered racist, as they are not run by Mexicans, but middle aged white men, but they pull out all the stops to have people come in to eat their meals and drink their margaritas.  Real racism exista and it is disgusting to me, and I stand up to it , but this was so not racism, but a event, not unlike St patrick's day for everyone to have a reason to drink (my issue with certain holidays!)

Full on pod.

How is showing a picture of someone from that culture racist?  Can someone please explain that to me?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »

Full on pod.

How is showing a picture of someone from that culture racist?  Can someone please explain that to me?

I am offended by the description because it is caricature of a stereotype. No one need share my view, but it would be polite to respect it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »

Full on pod.

I am offended by the description because it is caricature of a stereotype. No one need share my view, but it would be polite to respect it.

How did I disrespect it?  I asked for clarification.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

citadelle

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

Full on pod.

You didn't.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »

Full on pod.

You didn't.

I thought you implied that I did because you included it after your explanation to me.  Sorry for misreading that.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
citadelle..I respect your opinion, but having seen this picture I was just explaining it is some guy whose face you can't see laying on a beach that could be anywhere because it is just some sand.  The only reason it is vaguely Mexican is the sombrero and I have seen it on a Hallmark card and a postcard from Mexico.  You have every right to feel it is racist from the explanation of it being used in a party invite,  but I have the opinion of seeing much, much worse being used in connection with these themed parties for different nationality celebrations that I felt this was tame and that the guy just wanted something to scream about so he went looking as hard as he could (unicorns are sweet mythical creations!).

citadelle

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
citadelle..I respect your opinion, but having seen this picture I was just explaining it is some guy whose face you can't see laying on a beach that could be anywhere because it is just some sand.  The only reason it is vaguely Mexican is the sombrero and I have seen it on a Hallmark card and a postcard from Mexico.  You have every right to feel it is racist from the explanation of it being used in a party invite,  but I have the opinion of seeing much, much worse being used in connection with these themed parties for different nationality celebrations that I felt this was tame and that the guy just wanted something to scream about so he went looking as hard as he could (unicorns are sweet mythical creations!).

I, too, have seen much worse. I am of the opinion, though, that there is no such thing as "a little racist."

The man in question was certainly out of line. As I said previously, a polite comment explaining his position would have been appropriate. What he did was not.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »
The "sleeping/lounging Mexican under a sombrero" caricature is offensive because it implies that Mexicans are lazy. The fact that such images have been around for a long time and/or has been on Hallmark cards doesn't make it any less offensive -- the Black "mammy" and "Sambo," Chinese "Fu Manchu," and Native American "savage" caricatures were also around for a long time before they fell out of favor.

It bugs me that a lot of people are celebrating Cinco de Mayo without knowing anything about what it means -- there is this widespread perception that May 5 is Mexican independence day, which it isn't. It's become an excuse to consume mass quantities of Mexican food, Corona and tequila. St. Patrick's Day here in the U.S. has also devolved into a party op, but at least there is some acknowledgment of and homage to the Irish there. I've been hearing "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day" for years, but I've never heard "Everyone's Mexican on Cinco de Mayo."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
The "sleeping/lounging Mexican under a sombrero" caricature is offensive because it implies that Mexicans are lazy. The fact that such images have been around for a long time and/or has been on Hallmark cards doesn't make it any less offensive -- the Black "mammy" and "Sambo," Chinese "Fu Manchu," and Native American "savage" caricatures were also around for a long time before they fell out of favor.

It bugs me that a lot of people are celebrating Cinco de Mayo without knowing anything about what it means -- there is this widespread perception that May 5 is Mexican independence day, which it isn't. It's become an excuse to consume mass quantities of Mexican food, Corona and tequila. St. Patrick's Day here in the U.S. has also devolved into a party op, but at least there is some acknowledgment of and homage to the Irish there. I've been hearing "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day" for years, but I've never heard "Everyone's Mexican on Cinco de Mayo."

Agreed.  People see those images and accept them and them perpetuate them further.

The question was asked - How is showing a picture of someone from that culture racist? and that really encapsulates the problem for me.  The idea that anybody would see that as a picture from the Mexican culture or would accept that as a picture of somebody from the Mexican culture is disturbing.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
Somebody lounging on the beach with two strategically placed sombreros is more likely to be a tourist than a native.

And Mexico has had a lot of immigrants from other countries, over the centuries.  There are blonds from Germany, French people from when Napoleon tried to turn it into a French possession, and probably any number of other strains of humanity present (whether you sort them by races, nationalities, or religions).

Pass me a burrito, hold the margarita, and some papas fritas would be tasty, too!  I'd dance, but I'd trip over my own feet.......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »

People really think that seriously about stereotypes? A Mexican sleeping under a sombrero may just be tired or having a siesta. It does to an he's lazy.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
Yes, people really do "think that seriously about stereotypes". In fact, there are large swaths of people who do believe that people of Mexican ancestry are less worthy than those of other ancestries. It isn't a trivial issue, even though I believe the cartoon was innocently intended.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »
Yes, people really do "think that seriously about stereotypes". In fact, there are large swaths of people who do believe that people of Mexican ancestry are less worthy than those of other ancestries. It isn't a trivial issue, even though I believe the cartoon was innocently intended.

I would say that maybe it was thoughtless rather than innocent.