Author Topic: Mobility scooters at the grocery shop - rude?  (Read 4674 times)

Iris

Mobility scooters at the grocery shop - rude?
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:31:51 AM »
I just got back from doing the big family grocery shop, which is not my favourite activity I will admit. One thing that happened seemed really rude to me, although that may be my hatred of shopping talking, so I thought I'd ask here.

While I was shopping I heard a "'scuse me love". I barely had time to even look up, let alone react, before a woman zoomed past on one of those scooters for the less mobile. Now, I have no problem at all with people using those things, in fact I am encouraging my mother to get one, but she was going so fast. For me to match her speed I would have had to out and out run as fast as I can.

This seemed really rude to me. After all, I wouldn't run in a grocery store because of the possibility of collisions with other shoppers or trolleys and in her case it seemed if anything worse because she wouldn't be the one who got hurt in those collisions. As I said, I was grumpy anyway so I thought I'd bring it here to get opinions. Are people obligated to keep scooters to a walking pace when in an environment where walking would be the expected norm? She was gone before I could say anything and I didn't think of reporting her to management, although now I'm wondering if I should have.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Syrse

Re: Mobility scooters at the grocery shop - rude?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:23:34 AM »
I would expect them to keep to a walking pace, yes. Same reason why it annoys me when children run around with the cart. It's not safe, and it's not very courteous.
Maybe next time say something to an employee?

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:34:48 AM »
I agree; keeping to a walking pace is better.  My mother has one of the mobility scooters and they can move surprisingly quickly.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:09:49 AM »
If there are other people around, yes, the scooter should be kept to a walking pace. If there aren't, say the entire aisle is empty at the grocery store, I don't see why the driver can't go faster, as long as they have the scooter under control. But in a situation where there are other shoppers, I'd say the scooter driver needs to adjust his/her speed, not expect other people to leap out of the way as they barrel on through.

In the OP, I'd say the driver was rude.

My nephew uses a power wheelchair. When he was about 7, this became a big issue, because he was zooming around in the hallways at school and could have hurt someone--250 pound chair vs. small first grader--the first grader is going to get hurt. The teachers and his parents had to work with him for months to get him to understand that just because he *could* go fast didn't mean that he *should* go fast. But I'd expect an adult to learn that lesson a bit more quickly.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »
Yes, rude. In fact, I busted a kid for "running in the hall" in his wheelchair when I was working in the school. He was a real menace. Cute, but dangerous.

Shea

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
It's not rude to use mobility scooters in the store if you need them, but it's definitely rude not to take other peoples' safety into account. The woman was rude and potentially dangerous by zipping around at above walking speed in the store. I don't know if you should have alerted management (hopefully they noticed her and asked her to slow down) but you were quite right that the woman was misusing her scooter.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Redsoil

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »
Absolutely agree with your perception, Iris.  Mobility scooters are wonderful inventions for those needing such assistance, but often, they can be dangerous if used without care. 

It seems to me that some users feel they should have right of way all the time - on the road, in the shops, on the sidewalk.  It never seems to occur to them that they could cause injury to others, or at very least, startle them unnecessarily.  (And taking on a vehicle on the road just seems foolhardy - a loaded cattle-truck is going to "win" over a scooter.)

A couple of times, I've witnessed other elderly people stepping out of a shop almost getting mowed down by these inconsiderate users.  Even when they notice, they don't seem to care - just wave nonchalantly and zoom off.  Makes my blood boil - if I could catch them, I'd educate them!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
We had a similar problem at school, with a boy that used a walker. In his case his mom was an enabler and insisted he couldn't get in trouble for running because he used a walker. (This kid could fly down the hall) It only stopped because the parents of the one of the kids that he knocked down were bigger trouble makers than his mom.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

datcat

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 10:03:27 AM »
Not at all rude if used correctly. If however the person using the scooter is treating an indoor area like its a race track then it goes beyond rudeness into stupidity. Those things can and have done some damage to other people. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8109928/Mobility-scooter-hit-and-run-leaves-couple-badly-injured.html

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »
I agree they could be kept to a walking speed. But I know there has been times when my cart is being checked out and I forgot something so I'll do a fast walk or trot to grab it and be back before the checker is finished. Maybe it was a one off for her and she needed something quick.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »
I agree they could be kept to a walking speed. But I know there has been times when my cart is being checked out and I forgot something so I'll do a fast walk or trot to grab it and be back before the checker is finished. Maybe it was a one off for her and she needed something quick.

I'm willing to bet you didn't do it close to other patrons, though, as in getting in their way or making them move!

Reika

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »

That doesn't excuse her from almost running people over.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »

I'm willing to bet you didn't do it close to other patrons, though, as in getting in their way or making them move!

I guess I didn't see the part about almost getting run over. I took the scuse me love that the woman was giving a warning that she was about to pass her. Sort of like being on a bike trail and a cyclist shouts out "on your left" even though they have plenty on space to pass you comfortably.

I agree it's not appropriate, my trotting through the store is probably not appropriate but I am cautious to not impact other shoppers.

NyaChan

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
Definitely should be more careful when there are people around.  One of my fellow students in HS had a powered chair and she was not careful, in fact sometimes deliberately so  >:(  I think others should also keep an eye out just to be aware, but a walking pace or close to it would be the best.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
The place where MIL lives has a indoor speed limit for scooters.  When they first moved there, FIL was given one.  He'd been a fast driver all his life and eventually, his scooter license was revoked.   ;D

They are wonderful things for people with mobility issues. At times on ships, there seem to be more scooter riders than pedestrians.  Some of these people can walk but the scooter makes getting around much safer on a moving deck.  the problem here is that many of these scooters are rentals and the riders haven't had much practice with the things.  On the first day or two it can feel like you're strolling through a bumper car ride.