Author Topic: Mobility scooters at the grocery shop - rude?  (Read 3640 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Mobility scooters at the grocery shop - rude?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
I know that at least one of the grocery stores around me has altered their mobility scooters to make them so that they will only go fairly slowly.   Of course, some people have their own and there's not much the store can do about that unless they're truly being reckless drivers.

A lady backed into me once in the cashier's line with a store scooter.  I think she hadn't even been aware that it had a reverse gear.  She was very apologetic.  No harm done, but I did certainly get a personal glimpse at the unexpected power those things have!!

nayberry

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
at a store i worked at,. we had several of these.  the people who were worst were the elderly ladies who would run into you and then berate you for being in the way!?!?   

we ended up barring a couple of them (from using the scooters) and when they complained we said they were welcome to shop elsewhere!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »
I (my body...not my cart) was nearly run into by one of the store supplied ones and if he, who was not watching what he was doing, had hit me I would have been very injured.  If the user cannot navigate around the store in one of those carts responsibly then they should not be using them. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Rohanna

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
Those things are super common here, and a large part of the reason I don't let my kids walk around box stores until they are big and smart enough to dodge! I watched a 2 1/2 year old (who was behaving perfectly normally and walking holding on to her parents cart nearly get crushed between the shopping cart and one of these things by someone who backed up too quickly and carelessly. We did first aid til the ambulance showed, and it seemed like 'all' she suffered was a possible ankle fracture- but she'd banged her head and was taken off for a cast and a scan. I got all the skin taken off the back of my ankle by someone who hit reverse too fast and smacked me into a wall.

I think it's largely a problem in places like where I live where you get a lot of people shopping who haven't used them before (we get lots of visitors from the surrounding Northern regions where box stores and scooters don't exist).

I cringe when I see people letting very small kids walk and run around warehouse stores... between the scooters, overbalanced enormous shopping carts and huge pallets being wheeled around I'd rather they were (buckled) in a cart where I can see them :(
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

mdatca

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
I have on many occasions witness people racing them through a very crowded and congested area sometimes honking their horn continuously to get people out of their way without having to slow down.  It makes things worse because there is really nowhere for those who are in the path to move so they shove in so they don't get slammed into.
I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D.H. Lawrence

Iris

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
I agree they could be kept to a walking speed. But I know there has been times when my cart is being checked out and I forgot something so I'll do a fast walk or trot to grab it and be back before the checker is finished. Maybe it was a one off for her and she needed something quick.

I'm willing to bet you didn't do it close to other patrons, though, as in getting in their way or making them move!

I guess I didn't see the part about almost getting run over. I took the scuse me love that the woman was giving a warning that she was about to pass her. Sort of like being on a bike trail and a cyclist shouts out "on your left" even though they have plenty on space to pass you comfortably.

I agree it's not appropriate, my trotting through the store is probably not appropriate but I am cautious to not impact other shoppers.

I think it would be an exaggeration to say I almost got run over. It was more a case of HAD I been about to step back, her 'scuse me would have been WAY too late. She seemed to be supremely confident that other shoppers would be in a "road aware" state, which is not my experience in a grocery store. I also think we've all trotted back to get something but this was WAY faster than a gentle trot. As I said I would have been sprinting to match her speed. Admittedly I'm not Usain Bolt, but I'm not mobility challenged either.

Now that I've slept on it I still feel annoyed at her behaviour, even though I'm over the grocery store grumps.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
I taught my children that it is rude to run or play near enough to people that you make them *worry* about whether they're going to get bumped into.

I taught them that it doesn't matter whether THEY know that they aren't going to jostle the person. It's not polite to make them WORRY about it.

I even taught them to say something just to keep from STARTLING other people. Sort of like the cyclist's "on your left."

So yes, I think a mobility scooter should be used at walking speed. OK, if the aisle is pretty clear, maybe a little bit faster than walking speed. "Indoor feet," please.

mmswm

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
Yes, rude. In fact, I busted a kid for "running in the hall" in his wheelchair when I was working in the school. He was a real menace. Cute, but dangerous.

I see you've met my youngest son.  He's having a bit of a difficult time learning this particular lesson.

As to the OP: Yes, operating a mobility device faster than conditions warrant is very rude.  The person on the scooter was out of line.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »
Those things are super common here, and a large part of the reason I don't let my kids walk around box stores until they are big and smart enough to dodge! I watched a 2 1/2 year old (who was behaving perfectly normally and walking holding on to her parents cart nearly get crushed between the shopping cart and one of these things by someone who backed up too quickly and carelessly. We did first aid til the ambulance showed, and it seemed like 'all' she suffered was a possible ankle fracture- but she'd banged her head and was taken off for a cast and a scan. I got all the skin taken off the back of my ankle by someone who hit reverse too fast and smacked me into a wall.

I think it's largely a problem in places like where I live where you get a lot of people shopping who haven't used them before (we get lots of visitors from the surrounding Northern regions where box stores and scooters don't exist).

I cringe when I see people letting very small kids walk and run around warehouse stores... between the scooters, overbalanced enormous shopping carts and huge pallets being wheeled around I'd rather they were (buckled) in a cart where I can see them :(

It's not just the older people speeding around that are menaces....

I broke a toe and damaged some tendons (bent middle three toes backwards to close to a 90 degree angle) dodging a running around small child (four at the oldest, based on height & running around like a crazed squirrel on crack) in a Wal*Mart in August 2011.  I still have trouble walking (broken toe didn't show up in x-rays until it healed with the "thickened" area showing up as a white streak in the bone).  The child's parent(?) didn't respond to me screaming & going down after "dodging" their child.  Someone else did - but at that point, it wasn't Wal*Mart causing the issue and the crazed squirrel had ricocheted up the aisle and on to the next aisle.......

At 54, I didn't heal the way I would have twenty years earlier......the tendons (? ligaments?) in the top of that foot still hurt at times......

I don't wish any ill to the child.  But the parent who left them off their leash that day......I will admit that there is some residual desire to have a talking to that person who shirked their duty in the hearts of Snarky & Evil.  I just never saw the parent - before or after the kid ran in front of my cart.

I have to admit that a scooter running into me would have probably done more damage...doesn't mean that I want to be in another accident with a speeding anything (child, cart, scooter, etc.) while shopping!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:00:26 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »
Mobility scooters in the store aren't rude per se, but I do agree that users need to limit their speed to a walking pace.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »
As someone who has almost been run over by people speeding down sidewalks with those, I think they need to realize they are not cars and they need to respect those around them who are walking.  I am trying to talk my dad into getting one but he says he doesn't want to be 'one of those old coots flying around like they are on a NASCAR track'.  Keep in mind, at 80, he has reached old coot status  ;D but he sees it too.  It would be rude to yell "Slow down Granny!" but you can think it!  And I believe stores should do a better job of policing who uses theirs because I have seen parents allow their kids to take them around stores like they are fun toys while an infirm person is trying to shop without one. (A certain large box store known for using a smiley face)