Author Topic: Does this sound okay? Dog pooping on lawn.  (Read 3614 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Does this sound okay? Dog pooping on lawn.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02:30 PM »
It's possible that if you put up a dog poop sign the perp will deliberately choose your lawn just to be snarky. Our town has a law about dog owners have to pick up after their dogs but no one really enforces it. I think it's something you live with. I have two dogs and really you can't stop them much from where they stop to go. However, most good dog owners take a plastic back with them just for this purpose. You put you hand in the bag, scoop it up, turn the bag inside out, knot it and toss it.
Really? I thought I had the most stubborn, worse trained, dog in the world. But I can force him to not poop in certain places just by not allowing him to stop there. Our neighborhood is pretty ok with dogs stopping to do their business and most are good about cleaning up after. But there is one place that my dog really, really wants to go but it is not a convenient place for me to bag afterwards so we have a little bit of a tug of war anytime we pass that house.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
It's possible that if you put up a dog poop sign the perp will deliberately choose your lawn just to be snarky. Our town has a law about dog owners have to pick up after their dogs but no one really enforces it. I think it's something you live with. I have two dogs and really you can't stop them much from where they stop to go. However, most good dog owners take a plastic back with them just for this purpose. You put you hand in the bag, scoop it up, turn the bag inside out, knot it and toss it.
Really? I thought I had the most stubborn, worse trained, dog in the world. But I can force him to not poop in certain places just by not allowing him to stop there. Our neighborhood is pretty ok with dogs stopping to do their business and most are good about cleaning up after. But there is one place that my dog really, really wants to go but it is not a convenient place for me to bag afterwards so we have a little bit of a tug of war anytime we pass that house.

That's what I was thinking. Just don't let the dog go there. One of my neighbors has a Great Dane, and manages to keep the dog from going wherever she pleases (thankfully, since the piles are HUGE). Another neighbor has a large, strong mutt and he just pulls the dog away from the spot it wants to go on if it's not an appropriate place.

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
While you can definitely stop a dog from where it wants to go sometimes, I don't think it's always possible nor quite so simple. I used to walk a friend's dog while she was at work, and he would wait to stop until he had to go *right then* (I suspect to draw the walk out as long as possible  :) ). There was basically no time whatsoever between him stopping and, um, the product. Sure, you could tug him away, he wouldn't resist - but it would be mid-poop, not pre-poop.

Of course, even if that's the case, there's no excuse for not having a bag to clean it up.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 10:24:36 AM »
I agree with others, I wouldn't be coy/indirect.  And plus people will always think, "Oh that doesn't apply to me."

I would go with a sign, "Please no dogs on lawn"

White Lotus

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
A bit off-topic:  please don't go out and scream at people standing there with their pick up bags in hand, with obviously every intention of scooping as soon as the properly leashed dog is done.  Scream at -- or better yet, film -- the people who aren't and don't. 

menley

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
While you can definitely stop a dog from where it wants to go sometimes, I don't think it's always possible nor quite so simple. I used to walk a friend's dog while she was at work, and he would wait to stop until he had to go *right then* (I suspect to draw the walk out as long as possible  :) ). There was basically no time whatsoever between him stopping and, um, the product. Sure, you could tug him away, he wouldn't resist - but it would be mid-poop, not pre-poop.

Of course, even if that's the case, there's no excuse for not having a bag to clean it up.

Agreed, I have a dog that does the same. It doesn't matter how much I drag him away... he will remain in the squat position and instead of a pile, he'll leave a trail :) Of course I always carry bags with me and clean it promptly, but it's silly to say that you can always stop a dog from pooping. Have you never had a time where you HAD to go to the bathroom, right then, and nothing was going to get in your way?

MindsEye

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
A bit off-topic:  please don't go out and scream at people standing there with their pick up bags in hand, with obviously every intention of scooping as soon as the properly leashed dog is done.  Scream at -- or better yet, film -- the people who aren't and don't.

Honest curiosity here. 

Say the situation was that you didn't want people to let their dogs toilet on your property.  Full stop.  Even if the owner was prepared to pick up the poop. 

How would you go about getting that message across?  And how would you deal with dog owners who are of the opinion that as long as they pick it up, their dog should be able to poop wherever?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »

Honest curiosity here. 

Say the situation was that you didn't want people to let their dogs toilet on your property.  Full stop.  Even if the owner was prepared to pick up the poop. 

How would you go about getting that message across?  And how would you deal with dog owners who are of the opinion that as long as they pick it up, their dog should be able to poop wherever?

We had this problem, too. It's great that people intend to pick up poop but sometimes the circumstances make that difficult (rain + upset dog tummy, for example) and pee can be very damaging. We had someone letting their dog pee in our yard and it was making big round dead spots of grass. DH asked him to stop.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »

Honest curiosity here. 

We had this problem, too. It's great that people intend to pick up poop but sometimes the circumstances make that difficult (rain + upset dog tummy, for example) and pee can be very damaging. We had someone letting their dog pee in our yard and it was making big round dead spots of grass. DH asked him to stop.

A few years ago we laid down new sod for our entire front yard.  We posted signs all along the front by the street curb with a sign saying, "New Sod, No Dogs Please".  We did about 15 of the small signs on the wooden stakes.  And the neighbors that walked their dogs respected that.  If I did see someone out there with an animal regardless of bags in hand, I would tell them, "Please don't use our lawn.  We just put down sod and while you may pick it up, it still damages the sod."