Author Topic: Odd. Just odd.  (Read 2559 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Odd. Just odd.
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
I was on the bus to work this morning.  The driver stopped the bus after a stop. He then walked into a nearby betting shop, after mumbling "I'll be a minute".  All we passengers were confused anf worried.  Bear in mind this is a main bus travelling to the hospital at peak time. People either needed to get to work or to the hospital for an appointment.  It isn't the done thing to stop a bus full of people to go into a betting shop. He returned after a few minutes, smiling and yhen resumed the journey.  There were some angry people on that bus, some of whom stated their intention to complain. Personally I said nothing as I couldn't add more than other people had said.

It was unlikely to be a "toilet" break as he had only just started shift (drivers changed before the bus departed).

Just...wow. I've used the city buses over 10 years and never encountered anything like this.  Clearly drivers are human and when they need to go, they need to go. But usually they somehow make it clear as to what they're doing.  Being seen in a betting shop whilst leaving a bus full of people is not a good idea,  especially not at peak times.

Should I or could I have added my voice?  I was somewhat annoyed as it made me very nearly late for work. 

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Odd. Just odd.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
What is a betting shop?  I've never heard the term before so I'm not sure what the issue is.  Something to do with gambling?

In my city, a bus driver stopping the bus to run into a shop (convenience store, coffee shop) is pretty normal.  They usually don't say anything as they leave the bus because it's pretty obvious what they're doing. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
Yes it's gambling.  Our drivers dont tend to stop midway through the first trip of their shift.  The hospital buses are quite important...hmmm.  Struck me as odd.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
No, you should not have added your voice, the driver clearly didn't care.

What you should do now, is add your polite complaint to all the others that the driver's superiors are certainly now receiving. If you don't have his name, the route and time should be helpful, as well as the fact that it was his first run, as the drivers had just changed before that trip.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
In Britain, bookmaking (as in taking bets) is legal, so yes, it's a shop that takes bets.

At least it's not as bad as an experience I had once in Philadelphia, taking a shuttle bus to the airport. I was the only person on board, except for the driver. After a few miles, the driver stopped behind a building, muttered something, and got off. Just as I was wondering if I had been completely abandoned, a completely different man (not in uniform) boarded the bus and drove it away.

Until I had been safely delivered to the airport, I wasn't sure if I was on the scheduled run, or was now on someone's getaway bus.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
No, you should not have added your voice, the driver clearly didn't care.

What you should do now, is add your polite complaint to all the others that the driver's superiors are certainly now receiving. If you don't have his name, the route and time should be helpful, as well as the fact that it was his first run, as the drivers had just changed before that trip.

POD to this. Saying something at the time wouldn't have helped, but you can certainly mention it now to his superiors. If he was going to place a bet or something that seems pretty bad to me; but you never know, it could have been an emergency bathroom trip that he was really embarrassed about. Actually, for my part, I probably wouldn't even complain about it happening this one time, only if it seemed to be a pattern, but it would be perfectly okay to complain about it now.
~Lynn2000

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Wow Twik!! That's scary!

Yeah I'll call the bus office tomorrow and explain.  I thought at the time that speaking up would do no good. 

He really didn't care,  that was clear.   ::) I wondered about an emergency  visit. I have visited these places two or three times in my life.  I've no idea whether they have facilities...maybe the larger ones do, I honestly couldn't say. He didn't look embarrassed in the least. As he left the premises he was smiling and waving.  If it were a sudden desperate need, would he not have been even a little apologetic? 

Yes. I'll call tomorrow.  Thanks!

LeeLieLow

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
I think your assumption that the driver didn't need a bathroom break because he had just started his shift is an interesting assumption. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
I'd be reporting him to the bus company. I highly doubt it was a bathroom break, I suspect he was picking up his winnings on company time! Smiling and waving as he left, he was in a good mood because he'd gotten a wad of cash

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
I think you should report the incident. If it was justified, then his superiors can clear him. If it was not, then his behavior was unacceptable.

I think your assumption that the driver didn't need a bathroom break because he had just started his shift is an interesting assumption.

The OP said it was "unlikely" not absolute. And I think it was a very reasonable assumption. All of life is a series of assumptions, and one very reasonable assumption is that a fresh bus driver during rush hour will be able to complete his route without interruption. I have commuted via bus for years and never once known a bus driver to stop for anything other then red lights, traffic and letting passengers on or off.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »

Even if he did, there are usually scheduled stops along routes for a driver to get off and take care of his or her needs.

This varies, of course, from city to city and country to country, but most places that allow their drivers to take breaks (believe it or not, there are some that don't) make arrangements to allow this.  There are usually appropriate arrangements made at appropriate places - this would typically be at the beginning/end of a driver's run, or at a turnaround spot on the route - not at a betting shop.  It might be legit, but it seems unlikely.

In any case, a politely worded complaint would alert the appropriate people to a problem.  If it's not a problem, no harm has been done. 

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
I'd be reporting him to the bus company. I highly doubt it was a bathroom break, I suspect he was picking up his winnings on company time! Smiling and waving as he left, he was in a good mood because he'd gotten a wad of cash

POD to this! Do betting shops even allow members of the public to use their toilets? I find it unlikely they would.

OP, I would definitely let the bus company know about this incident.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
Definitely report him. Whatever it was he was doing, it was an unscheduled stop that delayed his route by a few minutes. That's not OK. Had it been some ''emergency'', and had he apologized for the delay, I would let it go. Once.

In my city, sometimes drivers on certain routes will arrange to pick up falafel-the falafel guy has it all wrapped and ready to go, the driver has his cash ready, the whole transaction takes a few seconds and most people just fund it amusing

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:07 AM »

POD!  I've never experienced  this before, and would have reported him to the company as soon as humanly possible.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 01:33:03 AM »
It was unlikely to be a "toilet" break as he had only just started shift (drivers changed before the bus departed).

After my morning coffee I seem to have to go every 5 minutes. Or maybe he didn't have a chance right before his shift.

I've seen bus drivers stop and run into store occasionally. If he was at all ahead of schedule too, he'd have to stop somewhere and wait anyway as people get mighty annoyed if their bus shows up early and they are not there yet.