Author Topic: Family breakfast  (Read 10122 times)

oogyda

Family breakfast
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
Oogydad and I stopped out for breakfast this morning.  We went to Denny's.  Not high-end, but at least they bring your order to you at the table.  We were given a booth and set out to enjoy our meal.  Shortly after we ordered, a family of Mom, Dad, Teen Girl and Tween boy were seated at a table near us. 

After they had placed their orders, Mom got busy on her Ipad, Teen girl got interested in her phone, and Tween boy put his ear buds back in to continue his game on a DS.  Poor dad just sat there with nothing to do.  I felt like asking him to join us since we were at least talking.  Of course, I didn't. 

This behavior continued even after their food was brought to them.  In the whole time they were there before we left, they didn't say a single word to each other. 

Very rude to the dad, but I kind of got the feeling he was used to it. 

If this is this the new way to do a family breakfast, I think I'll stay home and have a bowl of cereal.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Family breakfast
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »
I don't think it's "the new way" to do anything--it's just the way this one family behaved. After all, you and oogydad were there too, presumably enjoying a family breakfast in which you talked to each other. No reason to deprive yourselves of a nice breakfast out, if that's what you want, just because some people at another table were being rude to each other.

ncgal

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
My rule, at home or out to dinner is that all cell phones and other devices are put away during the meal time. 

Feel for that dad. 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
They were rude to each other.  I say that since I got my DD her phone (electronic leash), I only see the top of her head because she is always hunched over it, but meals, especially meals out, or any family thing we do together (which with her almost 18 are few and far between) are phone free.  I see parents walking with their little ones, head phones in or yapping on a phone and the kids trying to get their attention and being ignored. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »
Maybe that is their way of starting the day. I remember being on vacation and Dad would still read his newspaper, Sis would be a grump (not a morning person), Mom would be thinking, so I brought a book to the table. Dad objected, I pointed out he was reading the paper, he agreed. The spring we had to move out of our house due to black mold repairs we did the same every day in the hotel restaurant for 2 months.

I picked up Loren and Brett one day over spring break. We went to Ihop. After we ordered, I pulled out my Ipad and showed them a couple of different activities we could go do - they voiced their opinions and we set our day. Once the food arrived we talked. After I finished and they were finishing/waiting for check, I got out the IPad again to check traffic and figure out the best place to park and walk from to go to 3 different venues. This woman at the next table stage whispered her disapproval of me paying more attention to my device than the kids. I laughed and walked on.

I'm sure she would have a fit if she saw us get in the car. I turned on my hot spot gave Loren her Ipad, Brett his Nook, started my podcasts (audio only) on my phone, and then started the GPS App (the podcast play through). There are those that say I gave up a perfect opportunity to talk with the kids. Except I don't talk to people when I'm driving in Houston rush hour traffic. I love the fact they are entertained, and not trying to talk to me. Brett is usually asleep 15 min into any drive, so Lauren is can't talk/play with him.  The only problem now is they bug their parents to put on their hot spot. (They don't have one).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
I find it rude to pass judgement on how other people choose to interact or not. If someone is on their cell phone with me I can be annoyed etc.. But if they are with someone else that it up to them. For some people a chatty breakfast is like pokers in the eye. For others ( like me) I like a bit of conversation.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
I don't think you can judge them to be rude as an outsider.  I'm not very chatty in the morning.  Sharing breakfast with other people, each of us doing out own thing, sounds pretty good to me.  OP, I get that it wouldn't be your chosen style of breakfast, but that doesn't make you better than anyone else.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
My family don't like to talk much in the morning either.  We don't have gadgets, but often just stare into space with our own thoughts, people watch, read the paper, or concentrate on our food.  We still like sitting at the same table and feel the togetherness though.

oogyda

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
Alrighty then. Sufficiently chastised.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

ccnumber4

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
Why would another family's interactions with each other make you stay home instead of enjoying breakfast out with your husband?

peaches

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
I see this at every restaurant we go to. Not everyone at a table necessarily, and not every table, but there's a lot of it going on, and this is at the dinner hour.

It only bothers me if it's at our table.  :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:35:27 PM by peaches »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Sorry but that is very judgmental.  You have no idea how they relate to one another on a daily basis.  You got a glimpse of them, for less than an hour and based on that you 'pity' the husband/dad. 

My DH and I start our morning on our iPads.  When my mom visited, she wrongly assumed that we ignore one another every morning when the opposite is true.  We read the news and discuss current events.  Just because we are using technology doesn't mean we tune one another out. 

Those that think so make a very huge interesting assumption.   

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
I feel that as long as everyone at the table is ok with something and it doesn't interfere with other tables, then how people interact is up to them. So, if everyone wants to read, fine, but a shouting match isn't (since it will annoy everyone around).

Breakfast, in my family, has always been a reading meal (newspaper, book, magazine). Every other meal, no way. We all agree with Oscar Wilde that "only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »
I find it rude to pass judgement on how other people choose to interact or not. If someone is on their cell phone with me I can be annoyed etc.. But if they are with someone else that it up to them. For some people a chatty breakfast is like pokers in the eye. For others ( like me) I like a bit of conversation.
I agree. They could have been traveling for awhile and needed a break from each other. Dad could have been a real a** this morning and the family wanted to tune hin out.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »
You'd hate it at our house.   ;D  Mom and I have dueling laptops at the dining room table.  She's been working all day and wants to watch TV and play about on the internet.  I'm a writer and in between far too many projects of original and fanfiction.  However, we visit and talk about whatever we're watching.  Or not, in the case of Sherlock.

When we are out, we do have our phones / Kindles with us.  Again, we love each other.  But sometimes, we just want to read.  We also talk while reading - her to show me a funny passage and me to say something that's happening in the world.  So, we are visiting.  It just involves electronic devices and seeming to be in our own worlds.  Also, if I or mom forgot one our devices (very unlikely - our phones are glued to us), I'd go spend the money to get a newspaper or ask the waitress if there's a newspaper the place has that I could buy/borrow.  So, I don't understand the part of dad not having anything to do.  I think that he could have asked the waitress - or even the two of you - about if there was a bin outside to get a newspaper out of.  However, that is me and my worldview in a suburb of a big city.  I don't know where you and your DH are, OP, and if that could really be done.

About headphones - I only break out headphones in the car when she wants to talk in private with work / relatives / friends of hers.  I love it, due to being a big introvert and wanting the downtown of music as it relaxes me for the next stop that we're going to make in the day.  That is kind of strange, but at the same time, it's a kid. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.