Author Topic: Job interview question  (Read 1263 times)

KB

Job interview question
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
I'm not sure if this is actually etiquette or just common sense, but I would be interested in people's opinions.

Recently I have been going to a lot of job interviews, only to find out that there is already someone in the role (either a temp staff member or a more junior staff member who has been doing the work) and unsurprisingly they have been given the job once the interviews are complete. (It's compulsory to advertise positions in Victoria even if someone is basically doing them already, hence why this situation arises so frequently.)

My question is this: during the interview, is it considered rude to enquire whether there is already someone in the role? I would much rather know that there is a 'no' coming than wait eagerly for days and then be let down.

Bluenomi

Re: Job interview question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
You don't even need to wait until the interview. It's pretty common (especially in the public service) to ask the contact person for the job before applying if there is currently someone in the position. They are usually more than happy to tell you since it can cut down on the amount of people applying and the amount of work they need to do.

It's standard to ask the question when applying for a job here in Canberra!

KB

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Thanks for your quick response, but the applications I'm putting in are all automated and I won't have the chance to ask questions before the interview.

Amara

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
KB, is the job in academia?

KB

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
KB, is the job in academia?

Nope, local government. Oh, and I should add that the contact person is usually someone in HR rather than in the relevant department.

Bluenomi

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »
In that case I think it is fine to ask at the interview.

GSNW

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 01:34:27 PM »
Can you ask when they call/email you to set up the interview?