Author Topic: Gifts Unwrapped?  (Read 3649 times)

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
Gifts Unwrapped?
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I recently received an invite for a bridal shower with no registry info (personally I like it to be included but no biggie that it wasn't I just asked when I RSVP'd) and I was forwarded the info via email which included a little note that the bride requested gifts to be unwrapped "so she has more time to spend with her guests". On one hand I get it the BTB has tons of family and friends and the shower will be upwards of 100 people (not gift grabby at all these are all immediate family and close friends) but for some reason this kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I'm weird but I love wrapping gifts and I find it a little strange to just plop a box on a table with my card taped to it but maybe I'm the odd duck....is this the new normal?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Gifts Unwrapped?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
Did they specifically say that she wants gifts but she'd prefer the gifts to be unwrapped? I've seen phrasing such as "no wrapped gifts" to mean "we want cash".

I can see the practicality of the request - it'll cut down on time and waste (paper, ribbon, etc) but it doesn't seem very fun. I, too, would feel strange walking in with the item and putting it on a table.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »
No, I don't see it as the "new normal". I don't think gift wrapping will fall from favor.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »
Ok..I sort of get this.  The longest part of the shower is opening the gifts.  The guests really only look at their gift being opened then that part id over for them.  This way, everything is displayed and if people want to see what the honoree received, then they can but they aren't held 'hostage' with the tedious gift openings (all cards are read, everything is carefully opened, ohhed and aahed at).  And there are no awkward pauses if the honoree opens up something bizarre or something so far from what they registered for.  And I see the point about spending more time with the guests if there will be that many in attendance...opening that many gifts would take hours.  They may have a system set up that someone takes your name and denotes your gift when you bring it in to keep things straight.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »
This happened to me. I had a thread about it somewhere. Or, maybe not; maybe I wrote about it on my blog.

It turned out to be just fine--there was a "gift revealing," but no unwrapping. Which made it all go faster. And since in my ILs' family, showers are 70 people if they're small, you really could spend a lot of time watching her take the wrapping paper off. And the gifts are all in a pile, so it's not like anybody gets to admire any wrapping paper.

I'll admit--I cheater. I bought a set of nylon grocery bags, ironed them, and put her gifts in there. So, I *sort of* wrapped them. It made me feel better.

peaches

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:29:31 AM »
It wouldn't bother me at all. It seems practical, especially for a large shower.

I've never been creative or good at wrapping gifts. I wouldn't miss it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:36:56 AM »
No, I don't see it as the "new normal". I don't think gift wrapping will fall from favor.

Oh, and I agree with this. Even a small trend (which I think this will become) doesn't make something "the new normal."

It may become *A* new normal.

But I think people will always want to wrap presents. Especially in situations where the gifts will arrive more singly or will sit around for longer.

squeakers

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:52:28 AM »
Gift bags work great for times like this.  Your present is still pretty when you bring it and your card can be set on the present when it is taken out of the bag.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

kudeebee

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »
Gift bags work great for times like this.  Your present is still pretty when you bring it and your card can be set on the present when it is taken out of the bag.

But a gift bag can still be considered "wrapping"--it still covers up the gift and it must be handled like wrapping paper..  Sounds like btb doesn't want to spend time unwrapping or taking anything out of a bag/box.

squeakers

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »

But a gift bag can still be considered "wrapping"--it still covers up the gift and it must be handled like wrapping paper..  Sounds like btb doesn't want to spend time unwrapping or taking anything out of a bag/box.

BTB doesn't have to unwrap it.. OP can take it out of the bag and set it wherever.  The bag can be folded up and placed under the gift.  It then can be used for hauling the "loot" later.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Specky

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
I hope it does become a new normal.  It sounds very practical.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

Practical, yes.  Festive, no. 

However, with a guest list of 100 or more people, I can understand the logic of it.  You can still put a nice bow on the dust buster box.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »

I do too.  And you can up the budget a bit since you don't have to pay for paper, trim, tape etc.  But this is biased as I hate wrapping presents thus I hate wasting money on it as well.  And yes I know people make an initial investment and just keep it on hand but I don't.  Plus those pesky rolls of paper keep falling out and getting all wrinkled despite being in a tupperware made for it.

gen xer

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »
Ok..I sort of get this.  The longest part of the shower is opening the gifts.  The guests really only look at their gift being opened then that part id over for them.  This way, everything is displayed and if people want to see what the honoree received, then they can but they aren't held 'hostage' with the tedious gift openings (all cards are read, everything is carefully opened, ohhed and aahed at).  And there are no awkward pauses if the honoree opens up something bizarre or something so far from what they registered for.  And I see the point about spending more time with the guests if there will be that many in attendance...opening that many gifts would take hours.  They may have a system set up that someone takes your name and denotes your gift when you bring it in to keep things straight.

I am with this.  I know wrapped gifts look nice.......but it is time-consuming, a tonne of garbage......and I hate watching gift openings.   I'll bet a lot of other people do too!

SheltieMom

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »
I've been to several of these lately. Around here, they are called Sip N See, or display showers. It seems to be very popular with my DIL's friends. She said a lot of them don't like being the center of attention and having people watch them while they open gifts. All the gifts are displayed with their cards, and people can go in and see them.
As a "giver", it does kind of bother me to not see the reaction my gift gets. I try to give something personal, usually handmade, and I guess I see that as my "reward" for my hard work. That seems a little selfish, since it shouldn't be about me, but that's my feeling.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!