Author Topic: Question for UK theater goers  (Read 676 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Question for UK theater goers
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
When we go to a play here in the US, we get a Playbill when we walk in that shows the scenes and songs and stuff.  Is the same thing done in the UK?

I have a friend who went to see a play when he was there last year, and he says you don't have such a thing.  That the only thing you have is the program that you pay for.  We have one that you pay for - but it's more of a keepsake type of thing.  What I'm wondering about is the free thing you get when you walk in.

faithlessone

Re: Question for UK theater goers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
Not that I've ever seen?

The programme can be anything from a little pamphlet (usually cheap) to a big, glossy, booklet (usually expensive). Once, I went to a production of Chechov's "The Seagull", and the "programme" was actually a book - the translation of the script being used in the show, complete with actor bios and an introduction from the director. It was only 5 as well, (2007), which was pretty impressive!

I don't think I've ever seen a free one though, and you generally don't get anything handed out at a professional production. School plays or amateur (not-for-profit) works can be different.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
So even the "little pamphlet" isn't free?

What do you have that lists the songs and scenes and things like that?

faithlessone

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
No. I've only seen them at a couple of more amateur/semi-professional shows, and they usually cost 1/2.

The list of scenes/songs would be in the programme, along with the cast list, etc. If you don't get a programme, I guess you just have to watch the show or look it up online? I always buy a programme though - I collect them.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
How interesting.  I thought passing out a free booklet was a universal theater thing.  Sometimes I end up with several when really enthusiastic ushers are working. 

Snooks

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »
You always have to pay for a programme at the professional theatre.  Sometimes they have a regular programme for about 3 and a souvenir one for 5 which has pictures of the show.  My parents were shocked when they went to the theatre in the US to get the equivalent for free.

Margo

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
I agree, you don't get that in the UK. My experience is that programs usually cost 3-5 (For professional shows) it normally includes brief bios for the cast, director etc, and usually extra info such as an author/director interview, history of the play and so on.