Author Topic: Calling about test results; am I being pushy?  (Read 2540 times)

Syrse

Calling about test results; am I being pushy?
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
I got a test done at the hospital one week ago. They told me they would call me today with the results. Somewhere in the afternoon I ended up calling them. The front desk connected me with the right department, and I politely asked if there was any news. The told me the doctor was very busy (understandable), but they took my name, phone number and date of birth, and told me Doc would call me as soon as possible.
About three hours later I decided to call again, just in case they forgot about me, jotted down my info wrong... Front desk was, in my opinion, a bit rude, but that could be the stress talking.

Me: Good afternoon, could you connect me with *department* please?
front desk: Err, *department* has been closed for the day miss.
Me: *surprised, because last friday at that exact hour I had seen said doctor still calling around, telling patients about their results* Oh, ok, I was just wondering if Doc would still call me or not?
Front desk: Well obviously it would be for Monday, so you'll just have to call back then.
Me: Oh, well thank yo--
Front Desk: *doesn't let me finish* Bye *hangs up*

So now I'm a bit let down because I honestly thought I would know today, and it's been pushed back another three days. I also don't respond well to being treated like a child  ::)

Would it be impolite of me to call first thing Monday morning? I realize there's more important testings going on, and that there's people with far worse waiting for their news, so maybe I should just be patient?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Calling about test results; am I being pushy?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »
Why would it be rude for you to call?  You need your test results.

jilly

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »
You were expecting results on Friday and when you called were told the Dr would call you back which he didn't. I don't think calling back first thing Monday would be at all pushy. It's entirely reasonable to want your results

Mikayla

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
I agree with PPs.  Also, don't torture yourself by by making comparisons about others needing their result more than you do, or having more serious conditions.  That's a quick trip to nowhere, and you have as much right to get info when it was promised as anyone else.

I also think you were treated rudely.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
This is business. You are entitled to ask for what you need.

Please, please don't get into the "I don't want to be a bother" mindset. be polite, don't be a snowflake, but ask for what you want. Directly, etc.

And that was a really rude, snotty way to treat you, btw.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
When a business says they will deliver something at a given time, you have a complete right to call about that item or information.

Syrse

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
Thanks everybody  :)

Doc ended up calling me around 8 o'clock, so absolutely no complaints about her! She made sure I could get my next appointment next Thursday, so thankfully it's all moving smoothly.
She had trouble finding me in the system because apparently they wrote my name down wrong. Let's say they turned Syrse into Syharo  ??? Maybe I should start going by my DH's name  :P

I guess I panicked a little. Of course my results are important as well. But with a mom who would have started demanding the doctor call her back RIGHT NOW I am extremely careful not to feed the SS gene

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:14:40 PM by Syrse »

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
Parking my POD right here!  Waiting for test results can be very stressful, and your doctor (and his staff) should realize this.  You should not have to wait longer than necessary to hear those results.

Nothing pushy about it!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:53:44 PM »
You were not rude at all.  You called twice on the day results were in.  If the Dr. was too busy to call you, he could have had a nurse call.  And yes, the front desk was brusque, but they may have had hundreds of these calls all day and (while no excuse) are sick of taking them because people get mad at the front desk where they don't have the results and can't help.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 06:34:33 AM »
I don't work in a hospital, but do work in a family practice office and get these calls all the time.  Asking more than once isn't wrong, but keep in mind there might be multiple people handling the message. 

GLaDOS

• FKA TheAscension
  • Would you like some delicious cake?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »
I agree with nolechica, and I also work in a medical office. Absolutely, feel free call to request your results on the day they're available, but I'd avoid calling back more than once a day.

At least in the office I work in, all the calls are taken by the front desk and the messages are attached to the electronic medical record in the computer and the nurse who handles them gets a message in her inbox.  Sometimes it gets really hectic and they really can't get to them until near the end of the workday (and occasionally will stay past closing to finish them, especially  on Fridays), but if there's a cause for concern, they definitely make an effort to talk to you as soon as humanly possible, or the doctor will. In that case, calling multiple times will only keep flagging your chart that's already flagged.  The nurse might take care of yours first, since you really want your results, but it gets something of a side-eye.

I can understand your surprise at being told the department is closed when you saw the doctor there before at that time, but most likely she was staying over to knock them out, and it's best to go by business hours.

I will say, however,  the front desk shouldn't  have been brusque with you. You were polite, and it's the job to be professional and polite, even when there's someone  with a snotty tone and a sense of entitlement a mile wide, or someone asking a question you've already heard two hundred and seventy-one times that day.  I think the "obviously" was uncalled for, as well as hanging up on you.
There's Science to do!

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
At least in the office I work in, all the calls are taken by the front desk and the messages are attached to the electronic medical record in the computer and the nurse who handles them gets a message in her inbox.  Sometimes it gets really hectic and they really can't get to them until near the end of the workday (and occasionally will stay past closing to finish them, especially  on Fridays), but if there's a cause for concern, they definitely make an effort to talk to you as soon as humanly possible, or the doctor will. In that case, calling multiple times will only keep flagging your chart that's already flagged.  The nurse might take care of yours first, since you really want your results, but it gets something of a side-eye.

That's my office too.  I try to find out who sent the EMR note if not me, as some nurses are more prompt than others, plus some doctors are more prompt at getting test results to nurses.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
My dad's an ophthalmologist, and he frequently ended up making patient calls like this after dinner.  He couldn't do it at work because he'd be constantly interrupted, so evening was what was left.  From what I understand, this is pretty standard - an outside-the-workday part of the job much like teachers grading papers.  I think if it were me, I'd wait until the next morning and call (so if I was told results would be in on Wednesday, I wouldn't consider them "late" until it was Thursday morning).