Author Topic: Who was rude here?  (Read 2220 times)

christmascarol

Who was rude here?
« on: May 11, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »
Waiting to pay at the supermarket,  I heard a voice say, "Do you mind if I go in front of you?  I've only got two things."

Then I heard the woman behind me say, "Of course not and I'm sure nobody else will mind either."

Woman1 obviously took this as permission because although she did start asking me if she could go in front, she did it whilst actually putting her things on the belt, as if it was a foregone conclusion.
I just looked at her and said, "I only have three things."  Which I did, three small things and I'd been waiting a long time to pay for them, though I know woman1 didn't know that.
Woman1 took the hint, picked her things up again and went back behind me.  But if looks could have killed...

So who was rude/rudest? 

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: Who was rude here?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 01:56:46 AM »
Woman behind you was clueless, Woman1 was rude for glaring at you.

You handled it well.  Your comeback of "I only have three things" was perfect!

CakeEater

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:43:40 AM »
I actually think it's rude to ask to go ahead of anyone. It doesn't matter how many things you have - it doesn't entitle anyone to go first.

Of course both of the other women were rude.

Eclectic Dugong

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
I think it's a little off that woman 2 said that nobody else would mind, I mean, allow that person to go ahead of you if you want, but to say that everyone else will be fine with it is putting a little pressure on others in the queue.

The glare was definitely rude.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
I think it's a little off that woman 2 said that nobody else would mind, I mean, allow that person to go ahead of you if you want, but to say that everyone else will be fine with it is putting a little pressure on others in the queue.

The glare was definitely rude.

POD

If I someone go in front of me I usually only do it if I'm first in line. W2 was off base.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
They were both rude. I hate it when people speak for me. You were perfect.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
You weren't rude at all. Woman2 was fine to allow Woman1 to get in front of her (assuming she was the last person in line) but she shouldn't have spoken for everyone else. Woman1 was rude to assume that she could get ahead of everyone and not just the woman who she asked.

The other day DH and I were in line with one man (probably 20+ items) in front of us and two people behind us. We had 4-5 items. Just as the man was about to step up and begin unloading a woman approached, put her arm around him, and said "HI!! I was heading to a line over there (indicating another line with 3-4 people waiting) and I saw you standing here so I just had to come and say hello. How are you?" As he began to reply she set her hand basket on the counter and interrupted him, saying "You don't mind if I go first, do you? I only have a few things." He said "Not at all, go ahead!" and she did as they continued to chat.

DH, who wasn't polite either and I'm not excusing him, said sarcastically and loudly enough for them to hear "I suppose it's fine with us, too, not that you asked, but I don't know how anyone behind us feels." They both ignored him completely. The lady immediately behind us let out a big sigh (not sure if that was for the lady who cut or DH, honestly) and the lady behind her left and got into another line.

Who does that? I don't know if she was genuinely happy to see the man or just angling for a good excuse to cut but it was such total snowflake behavior!!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
I wonder if Woman2 was being sort of sarcastic.

If not, she was really rude to speak for herself.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »
Wasn't there a "Oh, you can have So-and-So's old one" thread a few months ago?  Woman 2 reminded me of that.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »
I hate when people try to wheedle themselves to the front of any line just because they are more special and their time is more important.  I have allowed someone to go ahead of me as I noticed they may have 1 or 2 things and I have more, but they didn't ask and I am in no rush.  The only time I don't mind someone asking is if I am in a bathroom line and they have a dancing child with them because I understand that!

Calistoga

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
If you come across a line where 1 person has a giant cart and you're just trying to buy some gum, I can understand politely asking if you can go ahead. I don't think the lady that asked was wrong.

And it's fine to let someone ahead of you in line, so long as you're the last person in line.

But you don't get to speak for others.

MerryCat

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »
I agree that Woman2 shouldn't have presumed to speak for everyone else. There are strict rules to queuing. If you go ignoring them it would be anarchy!

CakeEater

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 12:45:33 AM »
If you come across a line where 1 person has a giant cart and you're just trying to buy some gum, I can understand politely asking if you can go ahead. I don't think the lady that asked was wrong.

I think that is wrong. I don't think it matters how much each of you has. It's first come, first served. And then you're putting the person in front of you in the awkward position of having to look like kind-of a meanie if they say no. And if people with a big cart let everyone with their one or two or three items in front of them, they'd never leave the shop.

Don't get me wrong - if I was the person with the cart, I would probably offer, but I don't think the person with the gum should ask,

christmascarol

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 02:18:20 AM »
Oh good, nobody said me  ;D

I don't think woman2 was being sarcastic.  I only heard her voice though, so she might have been.  I must admit, I found her offer very rude, possibly even moreso than woman1. 

And I have a face like an open book, so it was probably my expression that netted me the glower.  I hate pushing in and that was what I took it for.

Mikayla

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 12:51:58 PM »

I think that is wrong. I don't think it matters how much each of you has. It's first come, first served. And then you're putting the person in front of you in the awkward position of having to look like kind-of a meanie if they say no. And if people with a big cart let everyone with their one or two or three items in front of them, they'd never leave the shop.

Don't get me wrong - if I was the person with the cart, I would probably offer, but I don't think the person with the gum should ask,

This is my take.   Also, there's a slippery slope component to it, which quickly complicates it.  Pack of gum vs loaded cart doesn't sound like a big deal, but what if it's a  pack of gum and some shampoo?  If that's ok, what about adding some peanut butter?

I just wait to see if the person offers and if they don't, I self scan or stand in line just like the little person I am.