Author Topic: How often do you grocery (food) shop?  (Read 2670 times)

magicdomino

Re: How often do you grocery (food) shop?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Once a week, twice if another store has some good specials or I need something that won't wait until Saturday.  I also go to a farmers market once a week during the growing season.

heartmug

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
I make a meal plan for the week and shop once, on Saturday.

Same here.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »
I go to the grocery store usually once a week, unless I run out of half & half for my coffee. Every other week I get veggies delivered, as well. I stock up whenever I go to Costco or Trader Joe's since I do it so infrequently.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

demarco

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
I usually do my big shopping on Sunday and then two or three more times during the week to get the stuff I didn't know I was going to need when I shopped on Sunday.  This is way too much, especially for someone who has come to loathe grocery shopping with an outsized passion.   

What I aspire to is to do a huge shopping trip once a month and a weekly trip for dairy and produce.  Then,  I could steel myself for the big trip ( and reward myself afterwards) and the weekly trip would be easy. 

I can dream.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »
I go every two weeks, although on the "off" week I may go pick up a couple of items if there are really good specials going on.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bluenomi

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »
Once a week for a big shop at the supermarket and the fruit and veg markets. I might pop in during the week if I run out of something or decide I need something I don't have. DH likes to come so it's a family trip on Saturday with the toddler in tow  :-\

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
Because we have so many good places to shop, we will pick up juice one day, milk the next and a pound of coffee or some pickles from the Farmers' market on Sunday.  Since we walk to every place we shop, produce is usually bought on the way home. 

We really enjoy having just about everything we need within an easy walking distance. 

dawnfire

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
I probably go shopping most days. It may just be for bread and milk  and see what's on special at the supermarket . It gets me out of the house and gives me a bit of exercise (I walk there, a 15 minute walk each way)

TylerBelle

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
Do so about once a week or week & half. I don't mind shopping that much, it can be fun and somewhat exercising. I enjoy browsing the deli sections for interesting items. Such as it was cool to find mascarpone cheese there when I'd only seen it on the tv food shows.

The thing I dislike the most is after returning home, having to get all the bags from the car. Sometimes I sit for a minute, wishing some sort of mechanical device would come out and retrieve everything, take it in the house and put it away. But it has yet to happen :o.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

katycoo

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
About once a week, but I walk past a supermarket getting to my office so will often swing in if I need 1 or 2 items

MerryCat

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
Usually only once a week, unless we unexpectedly run out of something.

caroled

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46:36 AM »
I work nights. I am off on Sun & Mon nights so from the time I leave work on Sun morning I don't return until Tues Night.
I do my shopping typically on Sun morning and then anything that is at a really good price/ad items, especially produce, meat I want to rotate out, I can get easily enough before the ad ends . I then do my cooking for the week on one of my 2 days off.

BUT, I work in a grocery store, so shopping for me is pretty convienent. I usually get the bulk of my stuff on Sun .We have other stores that I also shop at and as I tend to shop when I get off work as most other people do, I am doing mine at 3-4 in the morning.

This past week I shopped at competition store on Sat morning on the way home, for items my store doesn't carry and other items that were for sale at a lower price. Sun I bought my regular stuff at my store( workplace) also sale items and store brands, (yea! employee discount). And then today while I as out and about I went to Whole Foods, a store I love, but seldom go to because of the prices and it is somewhat a hassle to go as I have to specifically make time on a day off and can't get it done on the way home in the morning because it is not a 24 hr. store.

I overdid it to say the least, but I have everything I need to get me thru at least the next 2-3 weeks, and I have about $75 worth of some fabulous cheese!!! ;D

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 01:10:43 AM »
Groceries, once a week. I meal plan a week at a time and shop accordingly...even my kids know that now and are sure to get their requests in. It has hugely helped with their snacking habits. They know if they hork down all the "good" snacks at the beginning of the week they'll be stuck w/ apples, bananas & yogurt sticks toward the end ;)

Ereine

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 02:00:04 AM »
I shop whenever I'm out of something, maybe three or four times a week. I tried planning it more, but I live alone almost next door to a decent grocery store and the things I eat don't seem to last well for a week (like bananas and the bread I like the best and without a microvawe freezing it required too much planning) and I have plenty of time so I wasn't motivated enough to do it just to avoid impulse buys. There are some things the nearest grocery store doesn't stock or there are better brands in other places and if I want those I have to plan a little more but they're still on my route. I also like grocery shopping so it's not something I want to avoid.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »
Do so about once a week or week & half. I don't mind shopping that much, it can be fun and somewhat exercising. I enjoy browsing the deli sections for interesting items. Such as it was cool to find mascarpone cheese there when I'd only seen it on the tv food shows.

The thing I dislike the most is after returning home, having to get all the bags from the car. Sometimes I sit for a minute, wishing some sort of mechanical device would come out and retrieve everything, take it in the house and put it away. But it has yet to happen :o.

I feel you.  I find myself shopping more on DH's days off because he loves that part.  ("Oooh, cool, you got capers/prunes/kale!")