Author Topic: How often do you grocery (food) shop?  (Read 2997 times)

*new*mommyagain36

How often do you grocery (food) shop?
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
I had a fun discussion over lunch today with several (female) co-workers.  I stop at the store pretty much every day.  There's a Super Sprawl Mart and a Traditional Grocery Store on the way home.  I keep running lists of what I need and stop at one or the other practically daily.  Co-Workers gave me the hairy eyeball  :o, like that was very excessive, and most of the other ladies stop no more than 2 times per week, 1 gal shops monthly at Super Huge Club Store and supplements by stopping 1-2 times a week for produce.  So, that got me wondering.  How many times in a week do you stop to buy groceries - specifically food items?  Just curious what's the norm out there...
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Cz. Burrito

Re: How often do you grocery (food) shop?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
I usually stop 1-2 times a week.  I might do a larger shopping trip every 10 days and supplement with small trips when I run out of produce or need something in particular for some recipe.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
I shop once on the weekend, and usually once mid week for produce and stuff that's become extra popular unexpectedly (like when DP went on a walnut binge and finished off a whole can in two days!).

My mother goes once a week, at most. They are paid bimonthly, and only have funds one of the two checks for shopping for non-essentials, so that cuts down the trips. My grandmother has gone daily my entire life (and most of hers). She got married right out of HS and spent her first two married years in Germany with my grandfather in a tiny USAF base housing unit, with no refrigerator. To her, NOT shopping daily is crazy!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
Once a week, or every 10 days sometimes. But, I live alone in a small apartment, and I don't have a car. My dad comes to see me several times a week and usually one of our errands is the grocery store. I feel like I buy a ton of stuff for just living alone, but apparently I either eat it all or throw it out, because my fridge is pretty bare if I haven't gone shopping for ten days.  ::) I wish I had more storage space so I could do bigger runs less frequently, I hate grocery shopping.
~Lynn2000

GratefulMaria

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
I used to go several times a week.  When DH's truck was totaled, we went to one car, and I have to plan my menus and trips more carefully.  I try to keep it at once a week now.  Our sons are both coming home over the summer, though, and one or both of their girlfriends will be visiting at different points, so I'm sure I'll be stepping it up!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Too often.  We probably do replacement shopping of things we routinely use weekly and other stuff in between maybe 2 or 3 times. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »
I was like the OP originally, stopping st the store at least every other day. Until I had a kid (and still a full-time job). Now it's just every Friday because I just don't have the time for more.

LB

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
I make a meal plan for the week and shop once, on Saturday.

Before that I was stopping at the store for something nearly every single day after text message conversations with my husband. We would talk about dinner, decide on something, and then realize we didn't have everything we needed. That had to stop. It was driving me crazy.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
I go almost every day after work; but since I work AT the grocery store, and in Northern Town everything is a 5-minute walk, it isn't really that excessive. Not to mention, given how fast our produce turns bad, pears I buy on Monday won't be fit to eat by Wednesday.

CakeBeret

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
I shop every Saturday. It's rare for me to do any supplemental shopping. I might occasionally--a few times a year--do the shopping on Sunday instead.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Snooks

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
Once a week, normally on a Friday.  I hate grocery shopping, I would shop online but then I run the risk of them not having what I need and then I'd have to go to the shop anyway.

Jones

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
1-2 times a week usually, sometimes an extra trip if out and about with hungry kids and I don't want to mess with fast food.

jmarvellous

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Once a week, but occasionally I'll stop in a second time for a vital forgotten ingredient or stuff for entertaining.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
I keep it to a minimum because we spend a lot less that way, and there's less driving around. We can walk to one of our stores, but the rest are too far. I have different stores for different purposes. Costco is for things like vinegar, milk, and cheese. I go to Sprouts for their produce and meat specials and Winco for bulk items, yogurt and things like soy sauce. It sounds like a lot, but I think I average 1-2 trips a week.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

workerbee

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
Once a week (ideally anyway!). I shop online so will usually plan the week's meals and then put in my order, to be picked up on my way home from work. I usually end up stopping in to pick up an additional gallon of milk and/or some other necessity at least one additional time. I try to avoid weekends, but the store is only a mile from our house so it's easy to run in (although not so fun with two toddlers in tow).

I don't mind shopping, but I don't enjoy it, so stopping every day would be pretty miserable for me. The once/twice a week keeps my stress level and spending reasonable!  :D