Author Topic: Your food is gross...  (Read 5863 times)

Miss Tickle

Re: Your food is gross...
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2013, 01:07:57 AM »
It's just such a strange thing to say, right? I guess these are the same people who say you look fat or tired or that hairdo is ugly. I just don't know what they expect you to say back:

Thanks, you/yours too?
I'm so ashamed?
Bless your heart?

I can understand in certain circumstances; I once told DH his dinner was kind of creepy because the prawn heads were standing up looking at us but he totally agreed and said, "What would Ramsey say about this?"

On the other hand, listening to people complain about the things they ordered to their tablemates but NOT the staff? Arg.

TylerBelle

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 01:47:46 AM »
I've had a little bit of experience with this, too. Dining at a restaurant where you'd get your salad at a salad bar, on more than one occasion I've had a friend announce loudly to the table how I always fixed the ugliest salad. I believe it was because I would include items as alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, and my beloved blue cheese dressing in it. I couldn't help it, I enjoyed getting adventurous with salad and trying things didn't have at home. Although after that initial declaration, no more would be said (until the next time :P).

(A little bit snarky response)
"My food is gross, hmm? Well, feel blessed you caught me on a less adventurous day. Sometimes my food has been known to actually move by itself. Anthony Bourdain doesn't have anything on me."

(A more sweet one)
If someone told me that my food was gross, I would say, "Good thing we live in a world of choices! We don't have to eat the same thing; isn't that nice?"
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 06:18:17 AM »
I went to lunch with a group of friends from work. As the waiter described the fish I was ordering, he mentioned how it was plated: full body on the plate, cut open so the meat was accessible. My friend next to me said "I can't have her lunch staring at me the whole time!", so the waiter offered to have the head of the fish cut off.

"If madame wishes, we can have it blindfolded with a piece of lettuce."
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 07:11:51 AM »
I've noticed quite a few people seem taken aback at being served the whole fish; I think a lot of people must just be used to salmon steaks or fish fillets. Somebody on a travel board had the vapors and gave a one star review to a restaurant in Italy that I've actually been to and love because her fresh lake fish came whole.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
I went to lunch with a group of friends from work. As the waiter described the fish I was ordering, he mentioned how it was plated: full body on the plate, cut open so the meat was accessible. My friend next to me said "I can't have her lunch staring at me the whole time!", so the waiter offered to have the head of the fish cut off.

"If madame wishes, we can have it blindfolded with a piece of lettuce."

I just read Terry Pratchett's Making Money (a Discworld novel) - a whole sheep's head was cooked with sunglasses on it because the chef was told that one of the diners didn't like having food that "looked at him".  Only they ended up in the kitchen due to some crisis and he got to watch the sheep's head lifted out of the pot with the sunglasses on.....

I immediately thought of this thread....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
I recall ordering the trout special in a restaurant in Philadelphia. The waiter leaned over and whispered, "I don't think you'll like him, Ma'am. He comes with his head on."

I had this vision of the same fish being brought out repeatedly, only to be rejected in horror by the patron, to the point that he and the waiter were on first-name terms.

However, the relationship was terminated as I accepted him, even with his little fishy eyes staring back at me. He was delish.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
Fish Heads, Fish Heads
Roly Polly Fish Heads
Fish Heads, Fish Heads
Eat them up, Yum

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
Maybe a very tight, not-actually-sarcastic-in-TONE "Thank you for making such a comment on the food I'm about to eat."

Or an even-toned "I don't appreciate such negative comments on my meal. Please don't make them."

it's so incredibly rude.

I suppose there's always "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Mikayla

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »
I've noticed quite a few people seem taken aback at being served the whole fish; I think a lot of people must just be used to salmon steaks or fish fillets. Somebody on a travel board had the vapors and gave a one star review to a restaurant in Italy that I've actually been to and love because her fresh lake fish came whole.

Someday I'd love to have that skillset!  But I'm one who finds it really unnerving.  However, for me it's been easy to handle with humor.  In fact, one time someone offered me a bite and I told him it looked delish, but he needed to turn the poor guy around so he wasn't staring at me as I munched on him.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »
I'm not above a gentle direct inquiry of, 'How do you want that to make me feel?'

Ooh, I really, really like this.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

Someday I'd love to have that skillset!  But I'm one who finds it really unnerving.  However, for me it's been easy to handle with humor.  In fact, one time someone offered me a bite and I told him it looked delish, but he needed to turn the poor guy around so he wasn't staring at me as I munched on him.

Anyone else having a Douglas Adams moment?  Just me?

My response is usually along the lines of: "We must be having food, you're using that phrase again."  Then I ignore them and proceed to enjoy my food.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
"Don't yuck my yum!"

Try eating grouper cooked in banana leaf in front of an aquarium where there are several large grouper swimming by and staring at you while you eat.  It happened to us in the Bahamas.  Still ate the grouper.  It was scrumptious.