Author Topic: Is this okay? (Offering meals to new parents)  (Read 1712 times)

alis

Is this okay? (Offering meals to new parents)
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
My neighbours are expecting their first baby in a few weeks. We don't know them very well (a bit of a language barrier on my part, but they are nice enough the times I have spoken to them). Would it be polite of me to drop off a freezer-ready or hot oven meal for them after the baby arrives as a gift?

I think back to my 1st child, how hard it was to try and figure out how to deal with the new baby and eating a real meal (but mine had colic too), I really loved having my MIL cook for me the 1st week after the 2nd one, made it a lot easier.

Don't worry, I won't ask to come in or see the baby, I will wait until they are ready and offer, I just want to help them out a little as I know how hard it is.

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Is this okay? (Offering meals to new parents)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:32:01 AM »
If you can let them know how to prepare the dish and the basic ingredients, of course!

This is standard where I come from, and a wonderful way to extend welcome and kindness.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »
That would be extremely kind. Bonus points if it's in a disposable, oven ready container, is something that's vegetarian friendly (unless you know for sure that they eat meat) and not overly fussy to finish (add some bread crumbs or cheese to the top, sure - take out, do five steps, then finish heating, not so much). Baked pasta dishes or a rice/cheese/cream of mushroom sort of casserole would fit the bill admirably, as would some baked enchiladas with beans and rice, or even a basic frittata/quiche sort of thing (meals don't have to be dinner, after all - and if they're half awake with a baby, breakfast may be the last thing they want to have to cope with).

Overall, a really sweet idea. :-)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »
I think it is a great idea.  I had people bring easy to reheat casseroles after I had my younger DD and after we got home after she had heart surgery.  To me, it was more appreciated than another outfit or toys!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
I think its a great idea. I did that with my friends when they had their son. I had an extra key to their house (they had offered it when I offered to bring them food, so I could just bring it by at my convenience) I made a lasagne, which just needed to be popped in the oven and baked, some bread, and homemade choc chip cookies.  She told me they were so happy, and got a bunch of meals out of it!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
I would not accept food from someone I did not know well. I just wouldn't know what their kitchen was like and if I had food allergies or intolerances they wouldn't know about them.

earthgirl

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
When my son was born four months ago we had a bunch of people bring us dishes (we got a lot of manicotti for some reason, and a couple of other freezer meals), including some people that I had never met before (friends of MIL's). 

To be honest, some of it wasn't to our taste so we didn't eat much of those particular dishes, but we really, really appreciated the gesture all the same (and communicated our gratitude to the donors!).

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
I think that is a lovely idea and you should go with your kind impulses.

Another suggestion is a snack tray. With my first baby my sleep was completely messed up and sitting down to eat a hot meal really wasn't a priority. Everything had to be eaten one handed or in shifts as baby would not go out of a persons arms without crying. So sitting down for dinner wasn't a restful experience. What I ate was a lot of cheese and sliced apples and nuts. I spent a lot of time snacking. Partly because of time and also because I was breastfeeding and that made me hungry all the time.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »
Ooh, I *love* the idea of the snack tray!  When I had a new baby, people would bring meals over.  The problem is that people almost exclusively bring things like casseroles, soups, and chilis.  I don't like any of these!  I usually eat a meat, a starch, and a vegetable or something like that for dinner.  So my husband got to enjoy lots of taco soup, chili, etc.  I still very much appreciated it, I promise, and it helped to have something to feed other members of the family.  But it's not so hard to get some fast food and such in those first few weeks.

What *is* a lot harder is to get to the grocery store.   And despite any stocking up you can do ahead of time, it can be hard to keep up on milk, bread, fruit, etc.  A fruit and/or veggie tray would probably be really cool (maybe with dividers between the different kinds of fruit, in case somebody is allergic to something).

If you do cook something, maybe you could put a list of ingredients on the top?  That way, if there are any allergies, they'll know what's in it and anybody who has allergies can avoid it.

alis

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
Thanks everyone! And yes, especially the idea of a breakfast or snack tray. I was lucky to have a fast nurser but if I recall the rantings of sleep deprived friends, many of them felt chained to the couch. That's a much better idea. Thank you! I'm glad I asked first!