Author Topic: How often do you grocery (food) shop?  (Read 2597 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: How often do you grocery (food) shop?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:42 AM »
Daily, mostly for perishables.  I've found that if I shop weekly for perishables, way too much goes bad before we can eat it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Do so about once a week or week & half. I don't mind shopping that much, it can be fun and somewhat exercising. I enjoy browsing the deli sections for interesting items. Such as it was cool to find mascarpone cheese there when I'd only seen it on the tv food shows.

The thing I dislike the most is after returning home, having to get all the bags from the car. Sometimes I sit for a minute, wishing some sort of mechanical device would come out and retrieve everything, take it in the house and put it away. But it has yet to happen :o.

My son removes the bags and carries them upstairs to the kitchen! I still have to put things away if I ever want to see them again.  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
We do one major shopping trip every two weeks, supplemented by a twice a week trip to our local grocery store for bananas and other items.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »
I shop on payday Mondays for all the meat and shelf-stable items I'll need for two weeks plus the perishables for that week. On the Mondays between I restock the dairy and produce for the 2nd week's snacks and meals.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
I make a meal plan for Sun-Thur and do one big shop for that.

By Thursday we usually have a good idea of our weekend plans and if we'll be eating dinners at home and I'll go to the store to by for that if needed.

One of us might stop by a store for extra produce or pick up something that was forgotten.

I also have a few speciality stores that I shop at probably every 2 months to stock up on items that I can't get at a regular store. And we'll make a trip to Costco about once every 2 to 3 months.

Before I had kid's it was much more common for me to stop on the way home for dinner supplies 3 or 5 times per week.

emwithme

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »
Once a week, for the main meals and shelf staples.  We'll buy milk/bread/eggs whenever we run out (they don't fit the schedule very often), and I may need to pick up extra fruit/vegetables mid-week if things have run down too quickly or have gone past their best (although as a greengrocer's daughter I am not bound by the use-by dates that British supermarkets put on produce, and quite frequently eat fruit/veggies that is three weeks "past good" but only just properly ripe). 

mmswm

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
I would love to be able to shop only once a week.  I do a major shop once a week, but the swarm of locusts, I mean young  boys, that live in my house necessitate daily trips for milk, bread, fruits and fresh veggies.  I buy enough to fill the fridge to capacity, but it's almost always gone by lunch time the next day.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
We use shelving in the garage for shelf stable items, but we have a very small refrigerator and a smaller freezer, so we can't buy many perishables at one time. We are going to buy a chest freezer soon.

Tai

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »
We do a couple of "big shops" a month, and several small runs throughout.  My neighbors don't have a car, so there's usually one trip per week where I take the neighbors while the kids are at school.  I keep running lists on my cell phone of stuff that we get at each of our local stores (and the price we usually pay) so that I can see if I've found a deal.   

Some things, though, I've thrown in the towel on.  Life has gotten a lot busier lately, and I no longer have the time to coupon and shop like I used to.  I don't buy toilet paper at the store anymore, that's on auto ship from Amazon.  I buy my Ulta shower smoothies when they go on sale buy 3 get 3 free and I've got a coupon- and then I don't worry about buying bodywash for 6 months or so.  Yeast, soy sauce, flour, sugar, canned tomatoes, razor blades, DH's cologne, shampoo, and laundry soap supplies get bought in 3 month to 1 year supplies when I see them at a sale price I like or we run low. 

Chivewarrior

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I shop irregularly and intermittently. The *intention* is to have it once a week, but I'm not that great at planning ahead so I'll often wind up there again to pick up something I forgot, or absolutely need for some specific purpose. I'm also doing all my own cooking with a dorm fridge. It's a large dorm fridge with a separately-doored freezer compartment, but definitely does not hold as much as the standard fridge!

To some extent, my shopping frequency actually depends on how much my depression is kicking in. If I'm depressed, I'll end up at the store more frequently because I'm acquiring things I don't have to cook, and I tend to acquire those in small quantities to try to encourage myself to cook.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
Once a week, with an occasional stop in between. I don't have a car so I'm doing it by bus. That helps keep my trips down.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Because I don't drive, I do shop a bit more because I am getting too old to haul 9 tote bags of groceries home on the bus (but I still do!) .  I have 2 kids plus pets so my sister and I hit the Costco (love that place) about every 6 weeks and do a major stock up, and I do a Wally World stock up every 3 weeks and then get the perishable staples every week.  My dad always carped about how often I was at the store (we only went twice a month when you kids were here and it lasted) then my parents took older DD (11 at the time) with them to their place in the mountains for 6 days.  When he came back (with a twitch) he said he now understood the need for always shopping and did I ever have her tested for a tape worm  ;D ;D ;D ::)