Author Topic: Dear Prudence does it again - rats!  (Read 2166 times)

Calistoga

Re: Dear Prudence does it again - rats!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
Darn it Prudie. Rats didn't spread the plague, fleas did  >:(

I had a pet rat. Very sweet creatures. Of course, if I'm asking someone to pet sit, I am going to mention ALL of my pets, especially something like a rat which requires a bit more work than your garden variety house cat.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Emily Yoffe just updated via Facebook and the LW said the rats were definitely pets, they were in a wicker basket (?!!) and provided more detail on just how filthy the house was (no soap anywhere, dirty clothes all over, shredded paper for cat litter, etc). A commenter said she should decline pet sitting again and call the apartment manager annonymously to complain. I agree!

Edited to add - I took Prudi's response to mean she misunderstood and thought the rats were vermin and endangering the cats. Also I might have misunderstood about there being paper for litter, the way she phrased it is ambiguous.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:03:29 PM by JenJay »

heathert

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
Frankly, if there were rats somewhere that I agreed to pet sit and I wasn't informed in advance I would have to leave. I would call them and let the person know but I don't deal with rats.  I know people keep them as pets but I don't and do not consider them pets. Yuck!