Author Topic: I'm betting this would have been rude . . . or not?  (Read 1876 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
I'm betting this would have been rude . . . or not?
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
I was in the express check-out line (15 items or less) at the grocery store today. I only had 11 items, one of which was a bottle of wine.

The checker was younger than 21, so an adult(supervisor?) (AS) came over, stood next to me, getting ready to press the buttons for my wine before my order was completely unloaded. Great! Efficiency!

The last thing I put on the counter was a bag of pre-packaged fresh veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots) and I noticed that there were quite a lot of brown spots on the cauliflower. (I can't believe that I didn't notice this before, I'm usually quite particular about my produce.)

As the AS reached over to ring up my bottle of wine (my first item) I said "Wait!" (I would have stepped out of line) but it was too late so my order was already started. By this time there were already 2 people behind me.

I showed the bag to AS and said "Oh, dear. Look at this . . ." AS looked and said "I'm so sorry about that" took the bag away from me and left.

I'm betting it would have been rude of me to wait for AS to return with a fresh bag of veggies before completing my checkout, holding up the rest of the line. Especially since I didn't ask for a fresh bag (I would have if there was nobody behind me) and there was no indication that AS actually went to retrieve a fresh bag for me.

So I checked out and left. (The bag of veggies was not important for tonight's meal.)

Now, I'm thinking, that I was rude to AS because I left before she (possibly) came back with a fresh bag of veggies.

But I didn't want to hold up the line!

How would you have handled this situation?

SoCalVal

Re: I'm betting this would have been rude . . . or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
You were fine as she didn't indicate she was returning with a fresh bag (I would think she would've either asked you if you wanted another one and/or instructed the cashier to ring it up and AS would return with an acceptable one).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
The cashiers at my store always ask me if I want to have something replaced if they spot there's something wrong with it and offer to send the bag boy to replace it.  Most often I say "Thanks but that's okay, actually!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
I actually don't think it's rude for a customer to wait while an employee replaces a bad product. If the customer forgets something, yes, but if you realize at checkout that something is broken, damaged, expired, etc. it doesn't bother me. It's the store's responsibility to make sure their products are in good condition so I don't get annoyed at my fellow customers if they assumed their item was of good quality, realize it isn't, and need a replacement.

I don't think you were rude for leaving without your item. If the AS was going to get you a replacement I would think she'd have said so. I'm surprised she didn't offer. I would have expected her to either grab me one or page a produce employee to bring one up.

My opinion on this might be due to the fact that my usual store is 20 minutes away and I only shop once per week. I wouldn't want to have to make a trip back for one thing later in the week or stop by a significantly more expensive place closer to home.

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
How odd.  The AS should have let you know whether she was coming back with another bag.  Since she didn't, I would have asked the cashier if they knew whether she was. 

If she was, and I really needed the veggies, I would have no qualms about waiting for her to return with them.  If it was taking too long, I'd go ahead and check out, then pay for them separately, or ask if I could step aside until the AS returned so the next customer could be rung up.

I guess the cashier knew the AS wasn't coming back, though, since they checked you out without asking if you wanted to wait.  If she was returning, you had no way of knowing that, so you weren't rude for not waiting.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:04:31 PM by Daydream »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »
If she was going to replace the bag for you the logical action would have been to scan the one in her hand, let you finish your transaction while she went off and got the replacement. That way the cashier could go on to the next customer while you just waited for your veggies you already paid for.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
If she was going to replace the bag for you the logical action would have been to scan the one in her hand, let you finish your transaction while she went off and got the replacement. That way the cashier could go on to the next customer while you just waited for your veggies you already paid for.

This is what I would do, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Daydream

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »
I also wondered about what WillyNilly wrote since that's been done for me in this situation before.  Do the bags of veggies vary by price/weight?  That might explain why the AS didn't do that.

Also, if there was no suitable replacement, they'd have to refund your money, but that's no big deal.

All in all, it just seemed like the AS wasn't thinking straight or good at communicating. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »
To me it sounds like she probably thought you didn't want the bag of veggies at all.  Did you specify you wanted a replacement?  If not, I doubt she would have realized you wanted her to come back with one.  So I think you handled it best in moving on rather than holding up the line.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
To me it sounds like she probably thought you didn't want the bag of veggies at all.  Did you specify you wanted a replacement?  If not, I doubt she would have realized you wanted her to come back with one.  So I think you handled it best in moving on rather than holding up the line.

I vote with Surianne's evaluation of the situation.

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
I woulod have assumed the customer wanted a replacement - after all they were trying to buy one!

Cashiers also have the ability to suspend a transaction so if you're waiting and the prson behind you has only a few items they can finalise their purchase then come back to yours when the assistant has returned.