Author Topic: How hard do you try to correct the store's mistake?  (Read 4273 times)

AylaM

How hard do you try to correct the store's mistake?
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »
Dad ordered a rather expensive gadget for my mother, and it came with a "start-up package". 

When he got the package it appears that the packer put a case of one of the items in instead of a single item (it is small so unless the packer knew what it was, a case wouldn't seem too out of place).   The item itself isn't really expensive but he received quite a few of them, totaling over $50 in free stuff.

Dad just received it today and wasn't sure what to do with it.  He looked at the store's return policy and it said he'd be responsible for shipping fees.  I told him they'd likely make an exception if he told them what they did.  He doesn't really want to call.

I'm of the mind that he should call, but if they wont pay to ship their stuff back he should keep it.  But I'm thinking he is leaning towards "free stuff!" and "I don't want to call customer service".

Should I drop it and let him do whatever he wants (store's mistake after all) or convince him to return the merchandise?

peaches

Re: How hard do you try to correct the store's mistake?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »
I would contact the company, if it happened to me. I wouldn't expect or be willing to spend money on shipping. It would be up the company to make an effort to retrieve the merchandise.

But your father is an adult. He is capable of making up his own mind. You've given your opinion; I'd leave it at that.

sarahj21

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »
POD peaches. He didn't order extra items. He should email or call them (whether he made the order online or over the phone) and ask them to send a postage-paid envelope or similar in order for them to be returned. He could then drop it into a post box or post office at his convenience. I wouldn't pay for return shipping either because even if he does get reimbursed, it could take ages, and it would annoy me to have to wait to be refunded my own money like that.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:54:37 AM »
For myself, I would try but I would put a lot less effort into correcting the stores mistake than I would if it was my own.

I would call or email once. If I ended up in endless phone hold land being directed to their website there is a good chance I would just hang up.

I would not pay for shipping even if I got reimbursed. I would take the package to either of two places in the nearby shopping center but not to any other that I would need to waste time driving too.

Basically I would notify them off the error, but I expect them to do 90% of the work to get the item back.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
I would contact the store and let them known (a) because it is an obvious mistake and the freebies aren't mine and ( b) because I wouldn't want the packer to continue making the same mistake over and over.

However, since it is a store mistake I wouldn't go out of my way to return the item I would be willing to give it to a UPS person or drop it at the post office but nothing that would cost me considerable time /effort/money

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
I would call but not expect to have to do any work.
Like "if you send a postage-paid envelope I will send them back."

The store may not even bother...one time I ordered some kind of throw/blanket and they sent the wrong one. I called and told them this, and they sent the right one but said not to bother sending back the other one.

dawbs

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
I'd call...
but I'll second that I put minimal effort in.

I dealt w/ incompetent people who wanted me to pay them to ship something I hadn't ordered back to them last time I dealt w/ Amazon on that.
I explained myself 3 times, they told me to pay for shipping, they'd reimburse me, I declined and eventuallyhung up on them and gave my FIL a very nice watch as a Christmas gift.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »
I would call but not expect to have to do any work.
Like "if you send a postage-paid envelope I will send them back."

The store may not even bother...one time I ordered some kind of throw/blanket and they sent the wrong one. I called and told them this, and they sent the right one but said not to bother sending back the other one.

This. It might cost more to mail it back then for them to just have you keep it.

DH ordered a $30 item that arrived damaged. Not shipping damage, but faulty. He called, they immediately refunded his money to his credit card. He contacted them again and said "don't you want me to send it back to you to confirm it was damaged?" They said no, they believed him and it wasn't worth his or their trouble.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
Back in the days of LiveJournal, a woman posted a story on one of the groups I belonged to about Amazon sending her an entire pallet of cut crystal decanters instead of the one she had ordered. She contacted them repeatedly about returning them and never got a real response. So she kept them. She had pictures of this huge number of decanters sitting in her living room..it was pretty funny. She ended up giving some as gifts, donating others, and so on.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
I once bought some books from Barnes and Noble, online. The package came and was bigger than it should've been. They had sent me some books I had not ordered. One was a coffee table book of sexual positions, complete with very detailed illustrations and instructions (not the kuma satra, this was more modern by far). The other books were part of a romance series about a woman and a pair of brothers. I called BN and asked if they'd like them back, because they weren't really my cup of tea. They sent me a paid return shipping label, and I sent the books back.

CoryanderX

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
I agree with others that I'd make a basic effort to let them know of the mistake and give them a chance to fix it. The more effort they expect me to put in, the less obligation I would feel to accomodate them. I'm not going to call repeatedly trying to reach someone, I'm not going to pay for their mistake (regardless of any promise to reimburse me), I'm not going to drive way out of my way. If he does call, he should think in advance about what he's willing to do for them, if anything.

I'd put a BIT more effort in if it were something really valuable. Your story made me think of reports I'd read where people who had ordered a single iPad received a case of a dozen iPads instead -- if that happened to me, I'd at least call the company a few times if I had to, although I'd still consider it their problem, not mine, if they made it too hard for me to return them.

bloo

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
For myself, I would try but I would put a lot less effort into correcting the stores mistake than I would if it was my own.

I would call or email once. If I ended up in endless phone hold land being directed to their website there is a good chance I would just hang up.

I would not pay for shipping even if I got reimbursed. I would take the package to either of two places in the nearby shopping center but not to any other that I would need to waste time driving too.

Basically I would notify them off the error, but I expect them to do 90% of the work to get the item back.

Agreed. I don't have the mindset of 'free stuff' when it comes to things like this.

I'd had super cool manual can opener that I loved and 14 years in, it quit working. It was pricey and heavy duty so I called the company, Kuhn Rikon to see if it could be fixed and if not, could they recycle it if I sent it back. They explained they could not fix it but would recycle it and even they were impressed that it lasted that long. When I said I'd like to buy a new one they said they'd send me one as a gift (woohoo!) as well as a labeled, postage-paid envelope to send them my old one.

Well, when they sent me two can openers (in two separate deliveries), I immediately contacted Kuhn Rikon, who thanked me for my honesty and they told me to keep it! (woohoo again!).

If OP's dad sold something over Ebay and accidentally included something else, I'm sure he'd appreciate the buyer's efforts of trying to return it.

The company will likely send something like a postage paid label or envelope to send the gadgets back if they want them (they may decide it's not worth the hassle and tell OP's dad to keep them. But the company should be given at least one chance to make that decision.

As far as the OP, I agree that Dad is an adult and this is his issue and OP can share her feelings and then leave it alone, no matter what her dad does.

DavidH

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »
Keeping it without making any effort at all to return it is like the dog food thread, it's basically stealing since you know it wasn't paid for because of a mistake and did nothing.  On the other hand, I don't think you should be obliged to pay for their mistake.  I'd call once or twice and explain what happened.  If they decide to send a mailing label I'd send it back, either by taking it to the post office or leaving it for the delivery service driver.  I wouldn't pay to send it back, and I wouldn't make multiple phone calls to insist they take it back.

Calistoga

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
The extent of my effort would be calling and letting them know. If they say they'll pay for shipping, then I'll send it back...but I'm not going to pay them to fix a mistake that they made. It might end up that with the shipping, it's cheaper just to let your dad keep the stuff.

It wouldn't be right not to contact them at all. But it would also be beyond gracious to PAY for a mistake they made when it's much easier and profitable to keep the stuff.

AylaM

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »
I got a look at it  today.  He was supposed to get one of the item and he received 6 of them.  I looked it up they retail between $15-$25 new.

He is currently saying that he doesn't know what he is going to do.  Which is better than yesterday's response, I suppose.