Author Topic: How hard do you try to correct the store's mistake?  (Read 3872 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: How hard do you try to correct the store's mistake?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
I would call but not expect to have to do any work.
Like "if you send a postage-paid envelope I will send them back."

The store may not even bother...one time I ordered some kind of throw/blanket and they sent the wrong one. I called and told them this, and they sent the right one but said not to bother sending back the other one.

This. It might cost more to mail it back then for them to just have you keep it.

DH ordered a $30 item that arrived damaged. Not shipping damage, but faulty. He called, they immediately refunded his money to his credit card. He contacted them again and said "don't you want me to send it back to you to confirm it was damaged?" They said no, they believed him and it wasn't worth his or their trouble.

I just ordered a driver disk off Amazon last month, when it came in, I went to do a clean install of the operating system on a formatted hard drive (issues had been developing - possibly due to power blinks).  The driver disk had the pretty label on it but nothing burned into it.  I contacted Amazon and they contacted the seller.  I got reimbursed for the driver disk, not the shipping & handling.  They said to just keep the disk......(blank cd costs a lot less than the $5 shipping & handling).

Then I ordered a replacement driver disk from the company on eBay that I had bought last time (but mislaid).  It should be here soon.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Chances are good that the retailer won't even ask for the items back; the markup on electronics is pretty high, and it may cost more for them to have it shipped back than the merchandise is worth. I've had incorrect or extra items shipped to me before; all but one of the merchants said not to worry about it, and my conscience was clear for having contacted. There have only been two cases that I can think of where they did want the item back, and both emailed me a shipping label to return the item at their expense.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
They made the mistake, and if it can't be corrected without money coming out of my pocket, then I wouldn't make much of an effort to return it.

A few years ago, I ordered something from an online store on Cyber Monday. The company's website had great sale items and couldn't up with the traffic, so the website kept crashing through out the day, but I managed to place an order for three items before it crashed for good.

My stuff arrived, I was super excited, but noticed that the charge never hit my credit card. I watched for two weeks before calling. The first time, I was on hold for nearly an hour and finally got a hold of someone only to get disconnected, from their end. Two days later I tried again, got a hold of them and when the lady tried pulling up the info, their system crashed. I didn't try again after that. I felt bad about it but I couldn't get a hold of anyone to fix the error and had a life to live, and I was not able to spend hours on hold.

Margo

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
I agree with PPs that there is an obligation to notify the seller of their mistake. 

Keeping the things without making any attempt to resolve the issue is no better than stealing (it's a kind of 'theft by finding') But he doesn't have any obligation to go out of his way to fix their mistake. If they send a prepaid envelope then it's reasonable to put it in a mail box. It the items are big enough that this would involve a special trip to the post office then I think he's fine to say 'no, but I'll make them available for you to collect' He should not be incurring any expense.

FenigDurak

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
I had this happen to me with a computer company (Farmer in the ___) when I ordered a replacement laptop battery. I received it, installed it and went only merry way. A week later they sent me a second battery. I called customer service, but because the way their system is set up, if I were to return it I'd be refunded for the battery I paid for (essentially getting a free battery), so they let me keep it.

You Dad should take the time to call them. It's a few minutes out of his life and he'll earn some good universe points.

White Lotus

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
Technically, if someone sends you something you did not order, I think it is considered a gift.  That is so people can't just send tons of unordered junk to people, bill them for it, and expect to actually collect. Morally, ethically, everybody here agrees one should at least make a good faith effort to tell the sender, and put in minimal effort -- but no money -- to get it back to them.  I come down with the group.  We are in fact better than we have to be and isn't that nice?

bloo

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 07:25:01 AM »
Technically, if someone sends you something you did not order, I think it is considered a gift.  That is so people can't just send tons of unordered junk to people, bill them for it, and expect to actually collect. Morally, ethically, everybody here agrees one should at least make a good faith effort to tell the sender, and put in minimal effort -- but no money -- to get it back to them.  I come down with the group.  We are in fact better than we have to be and isn't that nice?

I agree with everything but your first sentence. Mistake does not equal 'gift'. If I mistakenly give something to a friend, I appreciate her saying, "Oh I don't think you meant to give me this, did you?" If I mistakenly hand a cashier a $20 bill instead of a $5, she/he is not to assume the extra change above the $5 is a gift just because I'm not paying attention, right? A gift is given with thought beforehand because you want to.

Ordering one thing and receiving six is not a gift, it's a mistake by the company. A good faith effort, like you said, to correct the mistake should be offered by the buyer/purchaser.

Girlie

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
First question should be: If I made the mistake and gave someone too much, what would I want them to do? If your answer is that you'd prefer them to be completely straightforward and honest about it, then that's the best course of action for you to take personally.

Karma and all that, you know?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I once bought some books from Barnes and Noble, online. The package came and was bigger than it should've been. They had sent me some books I had not ordered. One was a coffee table book of sexual positions, complete with very detailed illustrations and instructions (not the kuma satra, this was more modern by far). The other books were part of a romance series about a woman and a pair of brothers. I called BN and asked if they'd like them back, because they weren't really my cup of tea. They sent me a paid return shipping label, and I sent the books back.

I ordered something online (forget where), but it was something that was NOT books. I got the item, but also a "nursing instruction manual".  I didn't even bother calling.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »

I agree with everything but your first sentence. Mistake does not equal 'gift'. If I mistakenly give something to a friend, I appreciate her saying, "Oh I don't think you meant to give me this, did you?" If I mistakenly hand a cashier a $20 bill instead of a $5, she/he is not to assume the extra change above the $5 is a gift just because I'm not paying attention, right? A gift is given with thought beforehand because you want to.

Ordering one thing and receiving six is not a gift, it's a mistake by the company. A good faith effort, like you said, to correct the mistake should be offered by the buyer/purchaser.

The first sentence is true , (look it up as this may have changed over the years/in locations/circumstances) White lotus is referring to a consumer protection law from the 60 or 70s if I remember correctly.

That said I think an effort should be made to return an item sent in error , I don't think you are obligated to spend any money or inordinate amount of time doing so. 

I don't know though how many times you can tell an adult what they should do with an item they received in error.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if that consumer-protection law did *not* extend to situations in which you ordered something, but was instead limited to situations in which you have no relationship with the company.

bloo

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »

The first sentence is true , (look it up as this may have changed over the years/in locations/circumstances) White lotus is referring to a consumer protection law from the 60 or 70s if I remember correctly.

That said I think an effort should be made to return an item sent in error , I don't think you are obligated to spend any money or inordinate amount of time doing so. 

I don't know though how many times you can tell an adult what they should do with an item they received in error.

I still don't agree with it. I'm not interested in the legalities of it, just the ethics.

It wouldn't surprise me if that consumer-protection law did *not* extend to situations in which you ordered something, but was instead limited to situations in which you have no relationship with the company.

Good point!