Author Topic: Funny Shopping Memories.  (Read 1055 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Funny Shopping Memories.
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
When I was a child, most people in the family were employed by the State.  Payday was on Thursday so grocery shopping was done that evening. 

In the early 1950s, Grandpa and Grandma were the only people in the family who had a television set.  After grocery shopping on Thursday evening, everyone would gather there to watch TV and eat ice cream.  The program of choice was always wrestling from Sunnyside Gardens because a cousin chauffeured the wrestlers from their hotel to the venue. 

Haystacks Calhoun and The Sheik would be throwing each other all over the place. Meanwhile,  the announcers would be saying things like, 'A Happy 30th Anniversary wish to Mr. & Mrs. John Jones of Canarsie from Bubba, LuAnne and the kids', or 'Best wishes to Ginnie on her graduation from Podunk High School. Mom and Dad are proud of you'.

It was surreal but it was also the essence of early television.  It was also great family fun.

cwm

Re: Funny Shopping Memories.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
My grandma would never buy me presents for my birthday or Christmas. She'd always take me shopping a few days afterwards and make me list how much money I had and what I wanted to buy before we went, and then budget for whatever I saw while we were at the mall. I miss that.

My other grandma would take sis and me to the auctions while we were with her for the weekend. Or to garage sales. We always managed to entertain ourselves at the auctions by going to the snack bar, and the garage sales were great because she'd give each of us two dollars for the day to spend however we wanted. In her neck of the woods, you could get an entire outfit for a quarter or so at garage sales, so it was like a fortune. Then we'd come home and drink powdered chocolate milk and grandpa would watch wrestling on the TV.

I miss those days...

Jules1980

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
My grandma would never buy me presents for my birthday or Christmas. She'd always take me shopping a few days afterwards and make me list how much money I had and what I wanted to buy before we went, and then budget for whatever I saw while we were at the mall. I miss that.

My other grandma would take sis and me to the auctions while we were with her for the weekend. Or to garage sales. We always managed to entertain ourselves at the auctions by going to the snack bar, and the garage sales were great because she'd give each of us two dollars for the day to spend however we wanted. In her neck of the woods, you could get an entire outfit for a quarter or so at garage sales, so it was like a fortune. Then we'd come home and drink powdered chocolate milk and grandpa would watch wrestling on the TV.

I miss those days...

My Mom, my cousin, and I used to take my grandma to rummage sale, or rummaging as it's called around here.  Some of our best conversations were held in that car between sales.  I miss that.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
After I moved out, I lived about 25 adn then 45 mins from my parents. So about 3 times a year my mom and I would meet at the fancy, schmancy mall on a sunday, have lunch, and shop. Now that she's 8 hours away, I miss that. we'd go into all the pricy stores we'd never be able to afford and just look.