Author Topic: Others posting photos on my wall.  (Read 2371 times)

CakeEater

Others posting photos on my wall.
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
I make cake as well as eating it.

Two of my FB friends have taken to posting photos of cakes they find online on my wall with captions like, 'One for you!'

None of them are especially to my taste, although they're well done. My friends don't want me to make these cakes, or help to make them themselves. They just found cakes they think are pretty and want me to appreciate them as well.

Problem 1 - It's getting a bit tedious. How many times am I obliged to respond, 'Ohhh pretty!' or some such thing?

Problem 2 - Other friends 'like' the photo thinking I made them. Do I have to make a comment on all these photos stating that I didn't make this one - even though it seems obvious to me that it's a photo shared from a website, people looking quickly sometimes don't make that distinction.

MummySweet

Re: Others posting photos on my wall.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
Hey fellow caker! (waving madly) 

I have been having the same problem.  Over the last few months a relative of one of my in-laws has been posting pics of cakes  on my wall with similar notes... most recently a picture of a dog cake, that while very cute was definitely decorated by a novice; and one of a very, very realistic cockroach (very well done technically, but I found it disturbing).   I don't care to have anyone thinking I made either of these cakes, so I have immediately untagged them.   

I don't think you have any obligation to respond to the poster.  If others have commented on them, I would be honest and say, "Actually, not my work.  A friend thought I might like to see it."

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to ask the poster to stop, and if doing so will cause tension in the family.  She is really a lovely woman.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
I have a similar, if not identical, issue on Facebook. People know I love animals and work especially closely with turtles and tortoises, so multiple people post the same cute turtle and tortoise photos/memes/articles on my wall. Got the same one twice in one day once.

I click Like and make a quick, appreciative comment every time. Yes it's a bit tedious, but so is a lot of social interaction (to me, anyway). At least people are thinking of me and being nice, so that's a plus.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
You can set up facebook such that things you have been tagged in only appear on your wall after you have approved them.

Nemesis

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Honestly, I would just delete it from my wall. If they asked why, I would tell them that the only cakes on my wall are those I baked myself.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
Just set your FB so people can't post photos to your wall and you have to approve tags. Problem solved.

CakeEater

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
Hey fellow caker! (waving madly) 

I have been having the same problem.  Over the last few months a relative of one of my in-laws has been posting pics of cakes  on my wall with similar notes... most recently a picture of a dog cake, that while very cute was definitely decorated by a novice; and one of a very, very realistic cockroach (very well done technically, but I found it disturbing).   I don't care to have anyone thinking I made either of these cakes, so I have immediately untagged them.   

I don't think you have any obligation to respond to the poster.  If others have commented on them, I would be honest and say, "Actually, not my work.  A friend thought I might like to see it."

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to ask the poster to stop, and if doing so will cause tension in the family.  She is really a lovely woman.

Waves back!

Thanks for the advice everyone - I think I'll do a combination of the above.

MummySweet, have you seen the gif of the realistic baby cake being cut open? Talk about disturbing!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
You can set up facebook such that things you have been tagged in only appear on your wall after you have approved them.

I did this, and it seems to work only sporadically. Or only if they do it in a certain way--I think it asks for approval if they actually tag me, but if they slap it directly on my wall, it goes right up. So I've had mixed results. And one acquaintance liked to do this with animal abuse pics, yeesh.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
I'd make a comment indicating I didn't make it "That's cute" or "Wow, realistic!", etc. and make sure I wasn't tagged. I'd then wait a day or two and delete it. If someone noticed and seemed hurt I'd explain "Some of my other friends wrongly assumed I made the cake. I wouldn't want to accidentally take credit for another baker's work, so I removed it."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
I think you can prevent people from even posting on your wall. And in your situation, I think I'd do that, either as a blanket or if it's possible to do it by person, just add people to the list as they "offend."

Also, it's perfectly OK to drop those people a note and say, "I want to keep my wall to be for my own stuff only. Please don't post other people's cakes on my wall. It confuses people."

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
Is the problem that you don't want the cakes on your wall at all, because you don't like them? Or is that you just feel obligated to respond to every one of them?  If it's the latter, I don't think you should have to respond or even add a disclaimer that you didn't make it.  I don't necessarily respond to every little thing that people put on my wall, though I try to at least "like" them to acknowledge that someone thought of me enough to put it there to begin with.

If the issue is that you don't want the cakes on your wall at all, then just set up your page so that people can't post things without you first approving them.  Then maybe send a PM to those that do it a lot and explain that while you appreciate them thinking of you, you are getting too many cake pictures from everyone and other friends are getting confused thinking that you made/decorated them.  So, to lessen the confusion, you are only putting your cakes on your wall from now on. 

CakeEater

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »
Is the problem that you don't want the cakes on your wall at all, because you don't like them? Or is that you just feel obligated to respond to every one of them?  If it's the latter, I don't think you should have to respond or even add a disclaimer that you didn't make it.  I don't necessarily respond to every little thing that people put on my wall, though I try to at least "like" them to acknowledge that someone thought of me enough to put it there to begin with.

If the issue is that you don't want the cakes on your wall at all, then just set up your page so that people can't post things without you first approving them.  Then maybe send a PM to those that do it a lot and explain that while you appreciate them thinking of you, you are getting too many cake pictures from everyone and other friends are getting confused thinking that you made/decorated them.  So, to lessen the confusion, you are only putting your cakes on your wall from now on.

More the second. I feel a bit bad that people are obviously thinking of me and wanting to share my interest, but it gets a bit much.

'Ohh, pretty!'
'I like this one'
'That looks like a lot of work'
'Your DD would like that one'
'Is your birthday coming up?'

etc.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »
You could just "like" it. Sometimes I post pics to my friend's wall (just the one, we have the same sense of humor) and she always "likes" it but rarely comments. Doesn't bother me a bit. She posts things to mine, too, so I know she doesn't mind.

audrey1962

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
More the second. I feel a bit bad that people are obviously thinking of me and wanting to share my interest, but it gets a bit much.

I don't think you're obligated to say anything. I have an acquaintance that posts those types of things to my wall and I don't respond.

CakeEater

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
Excellent- then I shall dial back my interest and my annoyance!