A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Are we more "Me" oriented than "We" Oriented? more info #43

(1/11) > >>

MamaMootz:
There is no etiquette question here as far as a situation goes, but I think it was an interesting topic for discussion, so:

I was listening to talk radio this morning on my way to work, and here in the Garden State, a band of police officers in Jersey City rescued a woman from a roof yesterday. The talk show host was making a point about the press statement one of the officers made when speaking about the incident, where he said "Myself, Officer X and Officer Y fell on her and stopped her from jumping."

Talk show host then explained that this is one of his recent pet peeves with the use of the English language, as normally he believes the correct protocol would be to put yourself LAST in a sentence, instead of first; i.e., "Officer X, Officer Y, and me", as opposed to what was said.

He then pointed out that he believes this shift in language as an example speaks to a larger cultural trend where we put ourselves before others, as he has heard this type of phrasing frequently.

Do you think this is true? And taking it one step further: do you think that this has an impact on good manners and etiquette?

I think that it speaks to a larger shift- for example in prior decades, Bridezillas were less commonplace, people said "please" and "thank you" more frequently, people were in less of a hurry, and parents were expected to raise human beings that could function in society.

I agree with the talk show host - I think the past was less about "me, me, me" and more about "we" and the "me-ness" speaks to a larger issue with common courtesy in a lot of instances.

Thoughts?

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: MamaMootz on May 09, 2013, 08:00:56 AM ---There is no etiquette question here as far as a situation goes, but I think it was an interesting topic for discussion, so:

I was listening to talk radio this morning on my way to work, and here in the Garden State, a band of police officers in Jersey City rescued a woman from a roof yesterday. The talk show host was making a point about the press statement one of the officers made when speaking about the incident, where he said "Myself, Officer X and Officer Y fell on her and stopped her from jumping."

Talk show host then explained that this is one of his recent pet peeves with the use of the English language, as normally he believes the correct protocol would be to put yourself LAST in a sentence, instead of first; i.e., "Officer X, Officer Y, and me", as opposed to what was said.

He then pointed out that he believes this shift in language as an example speaks to a larger cultural trend where we put ourselves before others, as he has heard this type of phrasing frequently.

Do you think this is true? And taking it one step further: do you think that this has an impact on good manners and etiquette?

I think that it speaks to a larger shift- for example in prior decades, Bridezillas were less commonplace, people said "please" and "thank you" more frequently, people were in less of a hurry, and parents were expected to raise human beings that could function in society.

I agree with the talk show host - I think the past was less about "me, me, me" and more about "we" and the "me-ness" speaks to a larger issue with common courtesy in a lot of instances.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Officer X, Officer Y and I.

The talk-show host is picking on people after saying that?

scotcat60:
I trhink people are more self centred these days, but I think the use of the word "Myself" as in "Myself and Officers X and Y" is not just because of that, but because people are not sure of the correct grammar, and they don't know whether to say "Officers X and Y and I fell on her".... " or " Officers X and Y and me fell on her"

I would say "I " is correct, as in "I fell on her" rather than "me fell on her"

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: scotcat60 on May 09, 2013, 08:18:40 AM ---I trhink people are more self centred these days, but I think the use of the word "Myself" as in "Myself and Officers X and Y" is not just because of that, but because people are not sure of the correct grammar, and they don't know whether to say "Officers X and Y and I fell on her".... " or " Officers X and Y and me fell on her"

I would say "I " is correct, as in "I fell on her" rather than "me fell on her"

--- End quote ---

Yes, this--using "myself" is how people dodge trying to figure out whether to use "me" or "I" because they know there's a rule but they forget the rule in the moment. It's like how "impact" has become a verb because people got sick of trying to choose between "effect" and "affect."

Amava:
Wait, wait, let me make sure I understood this correctly.

A talk show host is talking about  someone who has stopped someone from jumping off a roof. So, someone who has basically saved a life. Yes?

The host then finds nothing more interesting to talk about than to harp on his own grammar pet peeves and criticise the person, who has just saved a human life, for inadequate grammar.

Well, that sounds reasonable!  :o *holds up sarcasm sign*

I would think if someone is an example of being "me-oriented", it's this host.
Good grief!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version