General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Rude To Say "Please Stop This"?

(1/6) > >>

KimodoDragon:
The scenario in my office is this:  there are 8 ladies in our group who work in 2 aisles of 4 cubes - no walls and we can all see and hear each other.  It's actually a quiet environment and pleasant for the most part.  Except for one blight.

Two of the eight women had a bad falling out last year.  So much so, that "Harriett" will not acknowledge, look at or speak to Karen.  Harriett begrudgingly talks to Karen when it involves business issues and that is at a bare minimum.

Since this falling out happened last year and Harriett has been on her no-speaking campaign, every morning-without fail, Karen will arrive and give a hearty loud, "GOOD MORNING, HARRIETT" as she walks past Harriett's cube.  Then Karen will address everyone else with, "good morning ladies".  It's almost as if Karen is taunting Harriett.  Another lady has asked Harriett why does she put up with it and Harriett says she just ignores it.  For the rest of us it makes for an uncomfortable setting when Karen does this.  Karen sometimes snickers or rolls her eyes after her loud greeting to Harriett.

Some days, I think about asking Karen to please stop doing this.  Harriett obviously is not interested in exchanging pleasantries so why keep doing this?  Then I think to just mind my own business.  One of the other ladies said this is considered a "hostile working enviornment".  I don't know if that is true, but the way Karen does her thing, makes me feel she is taunting and teasing, like she is trying to get a rise out of Harriett.

Would it be rude if someone told Karen to please stop doing this?

Venus193:
I think someone in HR should address this grade-school behavior.

Virg:
Agreed with Venus193.  Report this to HR, ask them to keep it anonymous, and ask them to put a stop to it.  Karen is needling Harriet and I can't imagine that her superior(s) are interested in a blowup between them due to this childishness.

Virg

Zizi-K:
I actually think that Harriet is complicit in this. It's not acceptable in a work environment to simply ignore or never speak with another coworker. They have brought their personal issues into the work environment, when what they need to do is leave them at the door. Harriet should respond with "Good morning" and that would be the end of the drama.

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: Zizi-K on May 09, 2013, 10:14:22 AM ---I actually think that Harriet is complicit in this. It's not acceptable in a work environment to simply ignore or never speak with another coworker. They have brought their personal issues into the work environment, when what they need to do is leave them at the door. Harriet should respond with "Good morning" and that would be the end of the drama.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. They both need to knock it off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version