A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Small country vs. big country: fame

<< < (3/3)

CakeEater:
Australia here. I hate watching sport and the whole culture of professional sport, but I would have to say that sportspeople are among our most famous people.

baglady:
I don't know who the head of the FBI is now, but when it was J. Edgar Hoover, everybody here in the U.S. did.

I think every country has people who are famous for weird reasons -- i.e., being something other than a newsmaker or entertainer. Since Hoover died, we no longer have a most famous police officer, but we do have a most famous airline pilot: Sully Sullenberger, who brought that plane down in the Hudson River a few years ago.

Of course, with reality TV now, everyone can be a "star." Who'd have thought 20 years ago that a chubby kid from Georgia who competes in small-time kiddie pageants would have her own TV show? Or that the daughters of a deceased Hollywood lawyer/stepdaughters of a former Olympian would not only have multiple TV shows but be on all the magazine covers month after month?

TeamBhakta:

--- Quote from: baglady on May 16, 2013, 07:05:15 PM ---Or that the daughters of a deceased Hollywood lawyer/stepdaughters of a former Olympian would not only have multiple TV shows but be on all the magazine covers month after month?

--- End quote ---

Expect them to get even more covers soon, since people are asking why Kanye and another famous man keep getting apartments near each other + spending long hours together while pregnant Kim gets left behind.  >:D

baglady:

--- Quote from: TeamBhakta on May 16, 2013, 07:36:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: baglady on May 16, 2013, 07:05:15 PM ---Or that the daughters of a deceased Hollywood lawyer/stepdaughters of a former Olympian would not only have multiple TV shows but be on all the magazine covers month after month?

--- End quote ---

Expect them to get even more covers soon, since people are asking why Kanye and another famous man keep getting apartments near each other + spending long hours together while pregnant Kim gets left behind.  >:D

--- End quote ---

Aha! I knew it! Kanye is a gay fish!

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;))

Ereine:
I just remembered a fame in a small country sort of story (though Finland isn't like Iceland where everyone seems to know everyone). Our current president's wife is about thirty years younger than he is, a few years older than I am. She's from a small town where my aunt and uncle live and my aunt taught her Swedish at school. She was later involved in a poetry movement and got to know my cousin (son of another uncle). These days she's the head of a book fair in my town and my stepmother is on its board. I've seen her a few times (only seen, I have no personal connection), at the book fair and when she and the president came to dedicate a statue here. Seeing the president is a pretty big deal here too, there were lots of polica but it's still very different in a small apparently safe country. I once saw our previous president shopping at a market. She did have bodyguards but other than that she was like anyone and people weren't paying much attention as she was known to shop there often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version