Author Topic: Hotels in Rome.  (Read 728 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Hotels in Rome.
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
We'll be visiting Rome in the fall and, since we received such good advice about London at Halloween, thought it a good idea to send out a feeler about hotels in Rome.

Last time, we stayed at 'Sweet Dreams', a small hotel near Termine.  It was comfortable, quiet, and the rate included a lovely breakfast.  We'd happily stay there again but would prefer to find a place near the Pantheon this time.

We know that, like all major cities, hotels in Rome will not be cheap.  'Reasonable' will be relative.  We prefer small hotels to large, international chains.  'Sweet Dreams' was a single floor in a multi-storied building. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Library Dragon

Re: Hotels in Rome.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »
No first hand knowledge in this area.  One of my favorite research tools is Venere.com. The reviews are very helpful.
http://www.venere.com/italy/rome/#p|1;f:o|venere_ranking-t|all-z|43189-r|r6-c|all_rate.

Check directly with the hotel though.  I stumbled on a special once of 80 euros a night for a room that is usually 300. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Curious Cat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
I stayed here with my family a number of years ago.  http://www.romehotelnord.it/en/location  Looking at their website it seems they have had quite a facelift/aren't quite as modest as when we stayed.  The location was superb and very convenient for walking to all of the attractions.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
Warning: avoid this place if you can!

We travel on Marriott points and went to Rome last year.  Staying in the city itself was more than we could afford but we were able to use M points to book a balcony room overlooking the Vatican at the Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park.

That all sounds nice, however, it wasn't ideal as it was about a 20 minute train ride out of the city.  There was also a hospital nearby and the ambulance sirens in Rome are LOUD.  We were woken up several times during the night by ambulances and you had to pause your conversation until after they had passed.  The hotel also could not give us the room we reserved (queen bed with a balcony overlooking the Vatican in the distance) and for the first night we were in separate smaller beds.  They switched us the next day after a lengthy wait in line (short-staffed).

There was nothing to see near our hotel and the only nice meal we had there was at the most expensive steakhouse in the area. 

This was a major trip for us and now I wished we'd spent more points/cash to stay closer in to the city.

Oh well - live and learn!

And good luck to you on your vacation/holiday!!   :D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
Try the Hotel Raffaello very near Termini and a good value.  The rate with breakfast included in high season is between 170-190 euros per night

Hotel Raffaello - Roma
Via Urbana, 3/5  (Roma)
Tel.: +39 06 4884342
Fax.: +39 06 4744905
E-mail: info@hotelraffaello.it

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
http://www.hotelmargaret.net/

I cannot recommend this place enough.  It is very reasonably priced, includes breakfast (freshly baked pastries and cereal, etc), and is walking distance from all the major tourist spots (including the pantheon - we visited the pantheon and walked there).  The staff is absolutely lovely and so helpful.  They helped us find good restaurants (amazing, actually), gave us walking directions (and maps) for where we wanted to go in the city, and were just so helpful and nice. 

Like "Sweet Dreams" that you mentioned, this is a single floor in a multi-storied building. 

If Mr K and I ever have a chance to go back, we will stay there again.  The rooms were a little on the smallish side, as was the bathroom, but it was really super clean.

SportsFan88

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
http://www.nardizzihotel.com/

Stayed here last year after it was listed in Rick Steves. Very centrally located.

Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
America is the land of opportunity, not entitlement.

Library Dragon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
This is NOT by the Pantheon, but is my favorite place to stay.  I've been there with meetings, family, friends, and always enjoy it.  Casa Tra Noi http://www.hotelcasatranoiroma.com/en/hotel.asp is a secular religious hotel. Basically, there is a chapel, but no curfew or any other issues. 

We usually take the half board option of breakfast and supper.  If you have a bottle of wine, water, soda, etc., that you haven't finished they save it for you in the dining room.  You can bring in your own beverages.  A friend discovered the vending machine with small bottles of wine for 1 euro, less expensive than the dining room wine.  No problem.  My large bottle of Fanta Light that I bought from the market down the block? No problem.

One of the best features is that it's at the end of a road in a neighborhood.  Very, very quiet at night.  It's a quick walk to St. Peter's and public transport.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
We stayed st a chain- the NH Giustiniano and liked it well enough. My dad was extremely happy as we were ten minutes walking from Castel Sant'Angelo, which he has always wanted to see. Plus we found a restaurant close by the hotel that served some of the best chicken I have ever had.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
Just got this feedback from 4 of my clients in Rome about the Raffaello Hotel  " The hotel in Rome is wonderful.  Compared to the Anglo Americano, the hotel in which my wife and I have previously stayed when in Rome, it's cleaner, better breakfast, and much friendlier staff.  It is smaller and the staff works to make you feel at home.  The concierge can't do enough for you.  We would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Rome."