Author Topic: Horseback riding in Australia  (Read 637 times)

OSUJillyBean

Horseback riding in Australia
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
DH and I are leaving for Australia this weekend and will be spending two weeks there.  We had originally planned on booking a horseback ride in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney but when I went online today to book the trip, I saw a public announcement stating that the owners had been fined over $50,000 by the courts due to cruelty and neglect following several inspections by the RSPCA!  :o :( :(

Here is our itinerary:

2 days in Blue Mountains
1 day in Hunters Valley
2 days in Sydney
4 days in the Outback near Ayer's Rock / Alice Springs
2 days in Cairns
3 days in Port Douglas
1 night in Melbourne

If anyone knows of a place to hire horses that doesn't look like a Sarah McLachlan ad I'll be really grateful!! 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:23:18 PM by OSUJillyBean »

Redsoil

Re: Horseback riding is Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
Give this one a go, Jillybean.

http://www.huntervalleyhorseriding.com.au/

Hope you enjoy your travels in Oz!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:36 AM »
We've booked with them.  And they were a lot cheaper than the cruel-to-animals place to boot! 

Thanks Redsoil!

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »
Have a great trip!

FYI Ayers Rock is now known by its native name - Uluru.  While noone would say anything, its considered disrespectful to the Aboriginal community to persist with calling it its white name.

Redsoil

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
No worries, Jillybean.  Have fun!
Look out... 

Redsoil

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Actually, if you also want somewhere nice to dine, Margan Winery and restaurant is excellent.  Absolutely gorgeous food and wines.  Not inexpensive, but very good quality and friendly service.  The boss and I were in the Hunter for a conference, and we loved the food there!

http://www.margan.com.au/margan-cellar-door/
Look out... 

Iris

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
Actually, if you also want somewhere nice to dine, Margan Winery and restaurant is excellent.  Absolutely gorgeous food and wines.  Not inexpensive, but very good quality and friendly service.  The boss and I were in the Hunter for a conference, and we loved the food there!

http://www.margan.com.au/margan-cellar-door/

For something more upmarket if that takes your fancy, the restaurant at Peppers is lovely. See if you can get a table on the verandah with a view over the vines. If you have time for tastings in the hv  after horsenriding I strongly recommend going to Scarborough. Other people may do nicer wines but they do the best tasting experience by far. I would avoid most of the vineyards that are usually recommended in tourist books. We did the tourist vineyards a while back and found them decidedly inferior to the locally owned smaller ones.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

CakeEater

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »
DH and I are leaving for Australia this weekend and will be spending two weeks there.  We had originally planned on booking a horseback ride in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney but when I went online today to book the trip, I saw a public stating that the owners had been fined over $50,000 by the courts due to cruelty and neglect following several inspections by the RSPCA!  :o :( :(

Here is our itinerary:

2 days in Blue Mountains
1 day in Hunters Valley
2 days in Sydney
4 days in the Outback near Ayer's Rock / Alice Springs
2 days in Cairns
3 days in Port Douglas
1 night in Melbourne

If anyone knows of a place to hire horses that doesn't look like a Sarah McLachlan ad I'll be really grateful!!

Wow - that's some itinerary! You're covering a lot of miles there. Hope you have a great time!