A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

McDonald's Ads in the UK.

(1/4) > >>

Thipu1:
I was just reading an article in the Consumerist about McDonald's 'American Menu' ads in the UK.  It seems to be so over the top that I can't believe anyone would see them as anything but funny. 

How are these ads viewed in the UK.   

sunnygirl:
A friend of mine was involved in casting these commercials. They are supposed to be spoofing stereotypes about the US. British commercials are often humorous and tongue-in-cheek. But on the other hand, I don't really get the comments Consumerist makes -- "Duhh, women who dress up their dogs never take cabs, they get a car service" and being bewildered that Venice Beach bodybuilders are considered an American thing. I think non-Americans would definitely consider all those things (cowboy hats, yellow cabs, and Venice Beach bodybuilders) to be iconic/stereotypical American images.

But then, I roll my eyes whenever I see Britain/London portrayed in American media, because 99 times out of 100 it's really silly stereotypes that either haven't existed for a long time, or barely exist and/or are mainly just for the tourists. So I guess this is the flipside to that?

Hmmmmm:
In watching the commercial, I can see why McD choose these stereotypes. NFL cheerleaders, CA bodybuilders, yellow cabs with the goofy dogs dressed up are all easy things to spoof. 

What is shocking to me is what was described as a Chicago style burger, Lousisiana BBQ, or the yucky sounding Arizona nachos. I'd love to hear from the person who thought putting pepperoni on nachos was a good idea.

Bethczar:
In what way does salsa represent Chicago?

Slartibartfast:
Link to Consumerist article, including the ad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version