A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

McDonald's Ads in the UK.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Thipu1:
Thanks, all.  Since we visit the UK every other year or so, I thought this ad would be seen as a spoof. 

I also know what posters have said about Perceptions of the UK in ads in the USA.  The worst has to be an ad for a dog treat. A lady dressed in a coat, hat and purse that much resemble clothing worn by the Queen is seen walking an English Bulldog outside Buckingham Palace.  It's hardly likely you'd see something like see something like that in modern London.  At least they've stopped using Pearly Kings and Queens in ads. 

Twik:
There is a "geographic stereotype shorthand" that advertisers (and even movie producers) like to use. It's a language they believe everyone understands.

Scene set in Paris? You must show the Eiffel tower, and play wistful accordion music.

Scene set in England? You must show Big Ben, a black cab, and hear "Rule Britannia".

German scenes? Well, we really don't have an "iconic" German landmark, so let's show a beerhall, and men in Lederhosen. "Oompapa" in the background is mandatory.

If someone were to suggest setting the scene by showing, instead, Notre Dame, or Stonehenge, or a view of the Rhine, it would be received knowledge that no one would understand where the action is taking place.

veryfluffy:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on May 09, 2013, 02:51:39 PM ---The worst has to be an ad for a dog treat. A lady dressed in a coat, hat and purse that much resemble clothing worn by the Queen is seen walking an English Bulldog outside Buckingham Palace.  It's hardly likely you'd see something like see something like that in modern London. 

--- End quote ---

Of course not. The Queen has Corgis.

LTrew:
As an American living in England, all I think is that the burgers look disgusting and wonder why they can't get someone working on the development team who has even ever visited America.  Still, there are a lot of weird misconceptions about American food here, and I guess McDonald's caters to those.  Every "American" thing has to be served with sour cream and chive dip, salsa is almost uniformly disgusting, and the flavour combinations are just not American at all. 

WillyNilly:
As an American I totally can get behind the visual imagery of the commercial - it, even to me, looks like iconic American stereotypes. But the descriptions of the burgers, especially with their geographic names, is just so so SO very wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version