Author Topic: McDonald's Ads in the UK.  (Read 1877 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
McDonald's Ads in the UK.
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
I was just reading an article in the Consumerist about McDonald's 'American Menu' ads in the UK.  It seems to be so over the top that I can't believe anyone would see them as anything but funny. 

How are these ads viewed in the UK.   

sunnygirl

Re: McDonald's Ads in the UK.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
A friend of mine was involved in casting these commercials. They are supposed to be spoofing stereotypes about the US. British commercials are often humorous and tongue-in-cheek. But on the other hand, I don't really get the comments Consumerist makes -- "Duhh, women who dress up their dogs never take cabs, they get a car service" and being bewildered that Venice Beach bodybuilders are considered an American thing. I think non-Americans would definitely consider all those things (cowboy hats, yellow cabs, and Venice Beach bodybuilders) to be iconic/stereotypical American images.

But then, I roll my eyes whenever I see Britain/London portrayed in American media, because 99 times out of 100 it's really silly stereotypes that either haven't existed for a long time, or barely exist and/or are mainly just for the tourists. So I guess this is the flipside to that?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:34:45 PM by sunnygirl »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »
In watching the commercial, I can see why McD choose these stereotypes. NFL cheerleaders, CA bodybuilders, yellow cabs with the goofy dogs dressed up are all easy things to spoof. 

What is shocking to me is what was described as a Chicago style burger, Lousisiana BBQ, or the yucky sounding Arizona nachos. I'd love to hear from the person who thought putting pepperoni on nachos was a good idea.

Bethczar

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
In what way does salsa represent Chicago?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
Thanks, all.  Since we visit the UK every other year or so, I thought this ad would be seen as a spoof. 

I also know what posters have said about Perceptions of the UK in ads in the USA.  The worst has to be an ad for a dog treat. A lady dressed in a coat, hat and purse that much resemble clothing worn by the Queen is seen walking an English Bulldog outside Buckingham Palace.  It's hardly likely you'd see something like see something like that in modern London.  At least they've stopped using Pearly Kings and Queens in ads. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
There is a "geographic stereotype shorthand" that advertisers (and even movie producers) like to use. It's a language they believe everyone understands.

Scene set in Paris? You must show the Eiffel tower, and play wistful accordion music.

Scene set in England? You must show Big Ben, a black cab, and hear "Rule Britannia".

German scenes? Well, we really don't have an "iconic" German landmark, so let's show a beerhall, and men in Lederhosen. "Oompapa" in the background is mandatory.

If someone were to suggest setting the scene by showing, instead, Notre Dame, or Stonehenge, or a view of the Rhine, it would be received knowledge that no one would understand where the action is taking place.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

veryfluffy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
The worst has to be an ad for a dog treat. A lady dressed in a coat, hat and purse that much resemble clothing worn by the Queen is seen walking an English Bulldog outside Buckingham Palace.  It's hardly likely you'd see something like see something like that in modern London. 

Of course not. The Queen has Corgis.

LTrew

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »
As an American living in England, all I think is that the burgers look disgusting and wonder why they can't get someone working on the development team who has even ever visited America.  Still, there are a lot of weird misconceptions about American food here, and I guess McDonald's caters to those.  Every "American" thing has to be served with sour cream and chive dip, salsa is almost uniformly disgusting, and the flavour combinations are just not American at all. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
As an American I totally can get behind the visual imagery of the commercial - it, even to me, looks like iconic American stereotypes. But the descriptions of the burgers, especially with their geographic names, is just so so SO very wrong.

sunnygirl

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
When I watched the ad the first time I wasn't really paying much attention to the food, but reading the comments, you're all right - the descriptions of the regional burgers is the weird part. I don't get that.

There is a "geographic stereotype shorthand" that advertisers (and even movie producers) like to use. It's a language they believe everyone understands.

Yes, that is a very good point. I don't mean to go too off topic but did anyone see the British Family Guy episode? I thought they actually nailed it - obviously they have a writer who is British or has spent a lot of time in Britain. Normally I don't mind geographic stereotypes, but the one that peeved me was an episode of The Simpons (I think?) stereotyping Britain as a place that still hangs/beheads people. Not to get into any kind of death penalty issue, but that's a bit rich.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 08:05:50 AM »
As an American I totally can get behind the visual imagery of the commercial - it, even to me, looks like iconic American stereotypes. But the descriptions of the burgers, especially with their geographic names, is just so so SO very wrong.

Totally!! The stereotypes were cute. The burgers are just... huh??

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
The worst has to be an ad for a dog treat. A lady dressed in a coat, hat and purse that much resemble clothing worn by the Queen is seen walking an English Bulldog outside Buckingham Palace.  It's hardly likely you'd see something like see something like that in modern London. 

Of course not. The Queen has Corgis.

That is true but the Churchillean voice saying, 'I say.  Is that bacon?' wouldn't sound right coming  from a corgi.  A bulldog it must be. 

nayberry

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
i look on them as a bit of a bad joke,   though if McD's did a bbq burger with proper pulled pork on top i'd be there in a heartbeat!

menley

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
McDonalds in Hungary always cracks me up - they regularly do "American" themed things like Texas or Chicago or Hawaii themed burgers with ingredients that Americans would never actually eat on their burgers (or at least, not in such quantities as McDonalds proclaims they would. Maybe there are a handful that like their burgers with pineapple on top...)