Author Topic: Another Request for Ideas  (Read 2475 times)

Curious Cat

Re: Another Request for Ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
Toss in a coloring book or two and some crayons. Nothing makes you feel like you can take on the world like a fresh pack of crayons and a brand-new coloring book, no matter how old you are. :)

Yes! Especially if you go for the 96 pack or whatever the really big box is.  I also like willynilly's nail "polish" idea

chicajojobe

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
You're right she probably will be bored out of her mind, and it's really thoughtful of you to send her something.

I can sympathize. I injured my knee 2 months before starting graduate school so I had to quit my job early...which meant up until moving day I was basically stuck in my house. Not because of my knee, but because I was too broke to afford to go anywhere or pay for the gas to get there!
What I'd recommend is...

- Does she have a favorite TV show that she watches or has been meaning to watch (say like Game of Thrones)? A DVD or BluRay (which ever she's more into) boxset for marathon watching is good.
- Do you have subscription to Netflix streaming? Maybe you could get one and give her the password, that way you can watch things together. I'd go with streaming and not delivery because it takes a few days to get your next movie and she'd have to go outside to the mailbox and I don't know if that's allowed or not.
- If she's into knitting some yarn and a few patterns are a good idea. I don't knit on a daily basis but while I was between jobs it pretty much kept me sane.
- I don't know if she has any dietary restrictions, but getting groceries might be a challenge so you could send her a few of her favorite foods.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
You know what I bet she'd not be into?  Inspiring cancer tchotchkes. Those are the worst and no one wants them.

Thank you for posting this!!!!!  As a patient with cancer (almost five years now), I tried very hard to avoid these.  One resolution I had when I was first diagnosed was that cancer was not going to become a "lifestyle."  It's simply a part of a total life that consists of a great deal more than one illness.  Not buying the tchotchkes was part of that resolution.

Some things I did love to receive that first 6 months...

My very understanding sister sent me a beautiful cotton nightgown and a box of scented soaps.  These made me feel feminine and pretty right after the mastectomy.  When it was her turn, I sent her a muumuu-style cotton dress from Vermont Country Store.  I had bought several of these myself, as they are easy to put on and wear right after surgery.  For radiation treatments, they may be easier to take off/put on, and being big and loose they might tend to be less irritating to already-tender skin.

DVD's or a Netflix gift certificate or an Amazon gift certificate are all great ideas.  I treated myself to all the Charlie Chan DVD collections, and my daughter and I had a Charlie Chan marathon the day I came home from the hospital.

A small quilt or afghan for the sofa might be useful.  These can also be brought to use during chemotherapy sessions -- not sure whether they can be used during radiation  treatments.