Author Topic: Another Request for Ideas  (Read 2198 times)

GSNW

Another Request for Ideas
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »
This isn't really hospitality, more entertaining, I guess... with a twist.

I have a friend that just had her thyroid removed for cancer.  Now she has to get radiation treatment.  She literally is not allowed to come to work or be around other people for 10 days after the treatment.  She will be holed up in her house and if someone were to come over, she'd have to stay at least six feet from them.  She lives alone but this just seems like total quarantine to me, I know it's necessary... but I feel awful for her.

I want to send her a package or two during this time.  I know her general tastes in movies and music, so I'm thinking 1-2 Amazon packages (can be dropped off at her door) with things she can amuse herself with.  Books and DVDs are about where I'm at, does anyone else have any creative/fun ideas I can steal?

Oh Joy

Re: Another Request for Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
How about a gift card to a website where she can customize something?  I'm picturing making a photo book or something along those lines.  You know, a putzy 'I've been meaning to...' kind of project.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
I've had chemo, not radiation, so  i don't know if there is the same brain mush effect, but I would go with light, silly comedies on DVD, light reading (" airplane books"), and magazines

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »
Cafe Press can do all sorts of customized clothes and jewelry, stickers and magnets, at a good price. I can't complain about any of their products I've ordered yet. They do a lot of discount emails though, once you've ordered from them. How about a coffee mug and favorite (approved) treat? A bathrobe with slippers, all personalized? Or is she the type to appreciate sweet smelling candles?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
What about getting two copies of the same movie - one for her, one for you.  You could both cue it up and either skype or telephone while watching so you are watching it 'together'.  Or you could do this with a favourite TV show, if there is anything on at the time she is 'quarantined'.

Does she do any crafty stuff?  Some craft supplies would come in handy.

Is she allowed food gifts?  If you could take over some single serving meals before the treatment, she wouldn't have to worry about cooking on the days she doesn't feel up to it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »
Recently my mom was hospitalized. I got her a bunch of those nail polish tabs that go on like stickers but are actual polish, along with a few new files and such. I figured it'd something to do, looking nice is a self esteem boost, and the stickers are odor free so no worries on the fumes making her sicker/nauteated, and no spill factor to worry about if she's run down, or dry time.

Also does your friend knit or crochet? A "learn to knit!" kit with a starter set of needles, yarn and a basic pattern and "how-to" guide might be nice - 10 days is enough time to learn, mess up, learn from that and complete a simple project. Really this can go for almost any craft.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
If you're able and willing, volunteer to run errands for her.  She may need prescriptions, fresh food, or other items we don't realize we're going to need until we run out.  You may have to insist repeatedly that you want to do this for her, but I assure you it will be greatly appreciated. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

gellchom

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
I would watch a movie on tv or a favorite tv show "together."  Over the phone is okay, Skype or tango or google plus even better.
I do this often with a faraway friend who has cancer.
Make a date to watch something and make popcorn at both ends!  Something you can mock and snark about might be a nice break from lots of super sweet sympathy she's getting.

lellah

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
I love this!  You sound like an awesome friend.  If you're ordering from Amazon, I might suggest throwing in some snackies.  If she's dealing with nausea, some fancy fizzy drinks might be a big hit.  Maybe some ridiculous jammies or slippers?  Stupid fun projects like coloring books, wordfind books, macramé, whatever.  Some super-rich unscented lotion or lipbalm would probably be welcome.  Radiation often means sensitive, irritated skin all over. 

You know what I bet she'd not be into?  Inspiring cancer tchotchkes. Those are the worst and no one wants them. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
Toss in a coloring book or two and some crayons. Nothing makes you feel like you can take on the world like a fresh pack of crayons and a brand-new coloring book, no matter how old you are. :)

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:51 AM »
If you're able and willing, volunteer to run errands for her.  She may need prescriptions, fresh food, or other items we don't realize we're going to need until we run out.  You may have to insist repeatedly that you want to do this for her, but I assure you it will be greatly appreciated.

This! And, go off her list. If there a items you know she can have and would like, get them. ie. Favorite Ice Cream, Cheese puffs! A nice scented soap or candle. Gossip magazines are always good entertainment.

You are a good friend!

POF

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:10 AM »
Toss in a coloring book or two and some crayons. Nothing makes you feel like you can take on the world like a fresh pack of crayons and a brand-new coloring book, no matter how old you are. :)

On the same theme - the velvet coloring pages - with the markers ( I still enjoy those at 49 ! )
Also - a friend had a lot of fun with a sparkly sticker book. 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »
DVDs of her favorite TV shows

Thinkgeek.com has something called a Madame Radiation tee-shirt.

Jloreli

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
This is a very VERY big "know your audience" suggestion......

In her shoes I (along with the majority of my friends and family) would get great amusement out of getting a t-shirt or mug with the symbol for caution radioactive on it or some such reference to glowing in the dark. BUT we are silly and rather flippant....and inclined to take the humorous road even higher the more serious the situation.

Would your friend be similarly amused?

Perhaps some online gaming? Or a list of blogs she might get a kick out of?

The strange animals that grow in water? Or "Hatch" out of eggs in water?

Wind up toys?

gmatoy

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »
I just wanted to say that I am in awe of all of you! What good friends you all must be! (I love the ideas!)