A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Question for the New Yorkers- transplant hate

(1/21) > >>

Amanita:
Here's a question for the New Yorkers:

I've seen a fair bit of this in comments on articles, in videos, and other places online. People who were born in NYC dissing others who were born elsewhere and moved to NYC. "Freaking Transplant..Only people born here are real New Yorkers..As a born and raised NY'er... "

Is there really that much of an "Us vs Them" mentality, or really that much animosity toward those who came from somewhere else?

WillyNilly:
Yes and no.

I was born and raised in NYC and still live here. My parents were also born & raised here and also live here. My grandfather... ok you get the point.

There are two kinds of NYC immigrants, ones who become NYers and ones who dig their heels in and always remain transplants. Pretty much all NYers hate the latter. Many, many, many NYers didn't start out here. And that's cool - it is in fact part of what makes NYC so amazing. But they come and they adjust and they love the city as a family member. They become NYers.

But then there are the folks who come here and start complaining NY moves too fast/otherwise try to change the culture. Or loudly proclaim with disgust its no place to raise a family. Or they do non-stop comparisons to the rest of the country, with NYC always being the loser. Or they act like everyone here is just in it for the money like they are. Or they think they are special because they moved to NY and we should all be oh so proud of them for it.

Our city is packed to the gills. There are people everywhere. And for good reason - its a beautiful, vibrant city with everything to offer. We have natural forest land and wetlands within the city border. We have beaches and rock formations. We have museums and every kind of performance you can imagine. We have every kind of food, music and clothing type available. We have quiet places and loud crowded places. We have a lot of 'for free' stuff and lot of ultra-posh expensive stuff. This is a place to come make your fortune an realize your dreams.

But don't come and just take-take-take all the while dumping on our city. Don't live here but remain an outsider. That's what we hate. Because its too crowded to deal with people like that.

Thipu1:
I thoroughly agree with WillyNilly. 

Being a New Yorker isn't a matter of who lived where for how long.  Being a New Yorker is a state of mind. 

I was born and raised in Rockland Couny.  That's about 40 miles north of the city and my family has lived there for at least six generations.  I've lived in NYC since 1972 and I've never encountered that mind-set in the city. 

During the O.J Simpson trial a complaint was made that an attorney's 'New York accent' couldn't be understood.  The local news here got hold of a number of people on the street to say the phrase in
question.  The 'New York accent' was literally Haitian, Asian or Serbo-Croatian depending on the speaker.  All these people were good New Yorkers and proud of it.

We're practical people who work hard and don't have much patience for snobs or poseurs.  They may exist in the media but they sure don't exist in Windsor Terrace or Astoria. 

Amanita:
I remember a discussion about the costumed mascots in Times Square, and this was one person's comment:

I'm a born and raised New Yorker, and I don't remember seeing all these things around..This isn't Disney or Role Playing Tokyo, this is New York Freaking City, ban all the costumed characters!"

I had some choice words for him as a reply, although I refrained from asking just what did where he was born have to do with the argument at hand?
I did ask about freedom of expression issues- people wear costumes for all sorts of reasons besides making money from tourists, and a blanket ban would catch a lot of people who never did anything bad to anyone, who had nothing to do with the badly behaving mascots. And I did express concern with a place like NYC becoming like Singapore, with fines, bans, and rules for everything, to the point where public life might end up seriously over-regulated. And I did say that yes, it IS "New York Freaking City"- one of the world's creative and cultural capitols, so seeing folks in costume really shouldn't be out of character for such a place.

The fact that NYC welcomes and embraces creativity is one reason why I love NYC, and would love to live there!

Kaypeep:

--- Quote from: Amanita on May 09, 2013, 03:43:29 PM ---Here's a question for the New Yorkers:

I've seen a fair bit of this in comments on articles, in videos, and other places online. People who were born in NYC dissing others who were born elsewhere and moved to NYC. "Freaking Transplant..Only people born here are real New Yorkers..As a born and raised NY'er... "

Is there really that much of an "Us vs Them" mentality, or really that much animosity toward those who came from somewhere else?

--- End quote ---

I think NYC is a dog eat dog world, and very much a ME ME ME mentality more than an Us or Them mentality.  With NYC being THE PLACE almost everyone wants to be, to make it here, etc. every other cliche about NYC, one thing native New Yorkers have to hold over the heads of transplants is the fact that they were here first.  Have always been here, and know it better.  And they will use that fact at almost any moment if given the chance, if it will give them the upper hand in the given situation. It's a way of making themself stand out from the non-natives, and thus, appear better.  It's a badge of honor to say things like:

- That place isn't new, I've been going there since I was a kid. 
- My great grandfather knew the owner. 
- That neighborhood is nice now but you should have seen it in 20 years ago!
- Really, you think that's a good thai restaurant?  You haven't been to ______. 
- That's not REAL pizza.
- You ate at Applebees?  Really???

As for dissing out of towners, I have never known a NYer to turn down giving directions or helping someone who is lost or looking for a recommendation on where to go.  We like visitors and newbies.  We need them to shop and bring in tax revenue and keep the theaters going.   HOWEVER, we Can.not.stand. tourists who walk 4 across, holding hands and shopping bags, during rush hour, strolling and looking up at the sky while 3 dozen people are stuck behind them.  Blocking doors to buses and trains, holding up the line to ask 20 questions to the bus driver during rush hour because they didn't know the bus doesn't accept dollar bills and they don't know what  Metro Card is, etc.  And we have no patience for people who come and visit (or stay) but won't adopt to the way of life.  I knew a girl who refused to learn the subway or bus lines and just took cabs everywhere because she was too scared to take mass transit.  Or the tourists who won't eat at anything but a chain restaurant.  Or the ones who look at ME funny because I ordered "an everything with nothing" and they didn't know what I was talking about. Or the ones who won't leave Manhattan and think going to The Bronx is akin to a death wish.  (Conversely, as someone from the Bronx, I despise the Bronxites who refuse to go "downtown" to Manhattan and pride themselves on having never rode a subway their entire life.)

As a NYer, it's par for the course to dis anyone who doesn't go with the flow. That can be someone from Kansas in the city for the first time, or someone from 5 miles away in NJ who doesn't know how to pump their own gas and is now holding up the line at the gas station. 

It's a badge of honor.  The same way people like to celebrate their Irish heritage on St. Patrick's Day or their Italian heritage on Columbus day, New Yorkers take pride in their heritage and will remind you of it almost any time they are given the chance. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version