General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Trifecta of etiquette blunders from boss regarding wedding

<< < (3/3)

TootsNYC:
I've decided that I don't automatically mind the inviting of work people without spouses, somehow.

(But I guess I think that if you know someone ONLY well enough to invite just them when they're married etc., then you don't know them well enough to invite them to your wedding. However, I can't get all bent out of shape about it. )

Mikayla:

--- Quote from: EMuir on May 09, 2013, 10:17:26 PM ---OP here.  The manager is not liked by staff.  In fact, she is generally disliked.  There is some worried discussion among the invitees as to what might happen if nobody goes, wondering if someone is going to take one for the team and go. It pretty much made the entire department feel awkward.  A few extroverts are just happy to go to any party, and will go even though they aren't friends.

--- End quote ---

You may have made a minor blunder in calling this an etiquette trifecta, because it seems to pass the etiquette sniff test.  Where it fails in a big way is the way these play out into an abuse of power.  The bolded is not surprising. 

So even if the etiquette is ok, I think the shower and the potluck were completely inappropriate.   How difficult is it to think through potential downsides of involving your employees in your wedding? 

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: EMuir on May 09, 2013, 10:17:26 PM ---OP here.  The manager is not liked by staff.  In fact, she is generally disliked.  There is some worried discussion among the invitees as to what might happen if nobody goes, wondering if someone is going to take one for the team and go.  It pretty much made the entire department feel awkward.  A few extroverts are just happy to go to any party, and will go even though they aren't friends.

This boss has also been quite private with her personal info in the past, so nobody really knows her at work.  Nobody has met her boyfriend or children, or heard her talk about them.

--- End quote ---

Seems like a gift grab to me...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version