General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Should I have said something?

<< < (3/3)

JenJay:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on May 10, 2013, 08:00:52 PM ---Maybe she thinks that you were overstepping in some way--infantilizing the inmate, or becoming the inmate's advocate when it was not appropriate, etc.

--- End quote ---

I think that's very possible.

MM, you know what your intent was, but she didn't, which leaves the situation open to her interpretation. Possibly she's touchy or was having a bad night or has had issues with other new COs. I'd speak to her privately and not offer her any unsolicited advice in the future. She's indicated that she doesn't appreciate it. Others will. As you get to know everyone better you'll be able to discern the "we're a team" coworkers from the "don't step on my toes" coworkers.

emwithme:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on May 10, 2013, 08:22:11 PM ---[(Also, this doesn't bother me but I thought you may want to know that calling a corrections/correctional officer a "guard" is incredibly insulting to many, many, many people.)

--- End quote ---

I did not know this.  Please could you explain why?  :)

JenJay:

--- Quote from: emwithme on May 12, 2013, 07:55:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on May 10, 2013, 08:22:11 PM ---[(Also, this doesn't bother me but I thought you may want to know that calling a corrections/correctional officer a "guard" is incredibly insulting to many, many, many people.)

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's to distinguish between someone who works inside a prison versus someone who does private security (aka a security guard).

edited to add - I hope it's okay that I answered. My DH used to be a CO and I didn't realize there was an issue with "guard" before he started working there, either. He had worked a few different types of security positions before and there's no animosity there, each job is important. A CO, however, is in a much more dangerous position and they are actually law enforcement officers.  :)

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: JenJay on May 12, 2013, 04:06:07 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's to distinguish between someone who works inside a prison versus someone who does private security (aka a security guard).

edited to add - I hope it's okay that I answered. My DH used to be a CO and I didn't realize there was an issue with "guard" before he started working there, either. He had worked a few different types of security positions before and there's no animosity there, each job is important. A CO, however, is in a much more dangerous position and they are actually law enforcement officers.  :)

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you answered as I didn't actually know why. I figured people were in a big fuss over political correctness. I see it is a much different situation than I thought.

Personally, I thought it was to differentiate between the old school approach to corrections and the newer, less physically aggressive approach.

emwithme:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on May 12, 2013, 06:57:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: JenJay on May 12, 2013, 04:06:07 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you answered as I didn't actually know why. I figured people were in a big fuss over political correctness. I see it is a much different situation than I thought.

Personally, I thought it was to differentiate between the old school approach to corrections and the newer, less physically aggressive approach.

--- End quote ---

Thank you (both) for explaining.  And thank you MM, JenJay's DH and all other Corrections Officers out there.  I'm sure it's a difficult job that doesn't get much in the way of thanks :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version