Author Topic: When to go to HR  (Read 2268 times)

learningtofly

When to go to HR
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
hi all,

The company I work for has a large campus.  There are many people here I've never met.  Sometime sour paths cross in the cafeteria or the supply room, and some I will never meet.  I do go to another building for some work.  There is a locker room and since that building is clean we change into scrubs.  Everyone just leaves their clothes in a locker, changes, and goes in to do work.  The problem?  I've had money taken from my clothes in my locker. 

After the 2nd time I felt it was on me to clean out my pockets.  However, sometimes I'm running late and I just don't remember I have money in my pocket until I get over there.  Lately things had been fine, but this week I was robbed again.  Security has a record of this and I'm not the only one.  However, they keep trying to track log in records without knowing the layout of the building.  They want to help, but there are limits.

I'm assuming this is something to talk to HR about?  We must have a policy and they could send it out in an email.  Can I go to HR or do I let security handle it?

LeveeWoman

Re: When to go to HR
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
I think it's on you to protect your property.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
I thnk you should get a lock for your locker

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
This sounds like a changing room so I'm guessing security cameras are out but I'm with the PPs 0time to either take your cash with you or start locking your locker.  How sad that grown adults are stealing from coworkers!!  You might expect this from small children who don't know better but grown adults in a working environment?  Yikes!

Sorry you're having to deal with this, ltf!

mandycorn

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
Take it to HR.

Tell them you reported it to security. The worst they can do is tell you they can't help and you have to just let security handle it, but there's no harm in bringing it to their attention.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

cheyne

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
You can talk to HR but I don't think there is much they can do about it.  I would invest a couple of bucks in an inexpensive combo lock for the locker.  A thief isn't going to mess around with a lock and will go on to easier pickings.

SoCalVal

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
Take it to HR definitely.  It is then on HR to force Security to investigate the recurring theft since Security doesn't seem to be making a strong enough effort (I work at a large university hospital where we also have changing areas and lockers; when an incident arose with one of the employees breaking into someone's locker ON PURPOSE IN FRONT OF HIS COWORKERS TO SHOW THEM HE COULD DO IT, it had to be investigated).  Whenever an employee reports something to our labor relations dept (part of HR), it has to be investigated.  I'm pretty sure Security could put more of an effort into their investigation.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
I think you need to get a cheapo lock for your locker. There's very little HR would be able to do if the most basic precautions to secure your items aren't being taken.
Utah

DavidH

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
You can go to HR, but you should have an idea of what you want to accomplish before you go.  For example, if you want to have the thief caught, that is really more a security issue. If you want to ensure they know this is happening, this is the best way to do that.  You said they must have a policy they can send out.  I'm sure they do, but resending a policy that says don't steal from your coworkers is unlikely to accomplish very much. 

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
Perhaps go back to security and ask what they are doing to monitor the situation.  Cameras would be problematic in a locker room  Can they have someone go in undercover?  Also, do they issue locks?  If not, tell them they need to.