Author Topic: S/O of Watch my bags -- Buy this for me!  (Read 3152 times)

SoCalVal

S/O of Watch my bags -- Buy this for me!
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:04:46 PM »
DH and I were at a merchandise stand the other night after the concert we attended was over. Unlike my experiences of 15, 20, 25+ years ago, people were actually expected to stand in line in an orderly fashion and wait their turn (when I first started attending concerts 27 years ago, I tried doing that and learned quickly that if I didn't "fight" my way to get the employee's attention, I'd be standing their politely waiting for my turn until everyone else was gone). Anyway, it wasn't a problem, DH and I stood in line and waited for our turn like (almost) everyone else.

Just after I paid and we were getting ready to leave the counter, some woman (a stranger) got DH's attention and asked him a question. DH doesn't hear very well so she had to repeat herself. She was saying to DH, "Here's $50. Buy such-and-such for me or else the guy is going to make me wait in line." Oh, I forgot to mention that shortly before Stranger said this, a couple to our other side was trying to get the employee to assist them as they tried to cut ahead of everyone. He told them that in order to do so, they would have to get the okay of everyone else standing in line. Basically, he wasn't about to budge and let them cut.

Anyway, I overheard Stranger demanding DH buy merchandise for her, and DH was actually reaching out to do it. I stopped him and said, "No; she needs to wait in line just like everyone else" and started walking away. Stranger actually had the nerve to say, "Gee, thank you for being so nice." Not one to easily back down from such annoyances, I turned around and called out, "Yes, I'm being nice to all these people who are already waiting in line" then left with DH.

DH -- I love him, but he can be incredibly narrowly focused. DH felt it was our "Christian duty" to help out this woman. I point-blank asked him, "Do you think your 'Christian duty' is to cheat all these other people waiting patiently while you let this woman cut ahead of them?" DH admitted he didn't think of it that way. I said, "The employee already told one couple trying to cut that they'd have to get the okay of everyone else in line before he would help them. Did you really want to upset the employee *and* everyone in line over one woman who was too lazy to wait in line like everyone else?" DH admitted that that would not have been good either.

I don't know if I were rude to retort that I was being nice to everyone else, but, I'll admit, I was pretty aghast that that SS actually had the nerve to react that way when she was clearly trying to cut ahead of everyone else and let my temper get the best of me (although I likely still would've said the same thing -- probably more if I hadn't been so annoyed and astonished at her nerve).

mime

Re: S/O of Watch my bags -- Buy this for me!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
If I were one of the customers in line behind you waiting my turn, I would have appreciated your response to the SS. I would have been appreciative of the fact that you made it known that your actions were done out of fairness to me and the other people in line over the preferences of the person who wanted to cut ahead of all of us.

So I don't think you were wrong to defend your actions to this SS. It would have made me smile, and may have even empowered a few more people in line to refuse this woman if she continued making her requests to the people behind you.

:)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »
What mime said.  :)

bloo

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:41 PM »
What mime said, too! ;D

I'd like to add that I love your shiny, titanium spine and how you reasoned with your DH! Good job! No rudeness on your part here, folks!

SoCalVal

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
Thank you all for validating my actions.  No one in line responded while we were still there so let's hope they silently were thankful.

poundcake

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »
DH felt it was our "Christian duty" to help out this woman. I point-blank asked him, "Do you think your 'Christian duty' is to cheat all these other people waiting patiently while you let this woman cut ahead of them?" DH admitted he didn't think of it that way

"Christian duty" doesn't mean "do whatever any random person demands of you." And I hope Jesus has better concerns than directing your DH to make sure some pushy lady gets her merch at a concert.

It's a good reminder of something we say around here often, that it's not rudeness to refuse a request or demand. Etiquette gives us the framework to do that as effectively as possible. You handled it really well, SoCalVal.

Roses

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:38 AM »
What Mime said, plus evil Roses might have clapped...

weeblewobble

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »
DH felt it was our "Christian duty" to help out this woman. I point-blank asked him, "Do you think your 'Christian duty' is to cheat all these other people waiting patiently while you let this woman cut ahead of them?" DH admitted he didn't think of it that way

"Christian duty" doesn't mean "do whatever any random person demands of you." And I hope Jesus has better concerns than directing your DH to make sure some pushy lady gets her merch at a concert.

^^^THAT^^^