Author Topic: Does this sound okay? Dog pooping on lawn.  (Read 3088 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Does this sound okay? Dog pooping on lawn.
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »
So, my husband and I recently bought a property downtown that is inner city, but in a historic neighborhood.  The house has been unowned for a while because it was being renovated, and then we bought it a month or so ago.  Since then, my husband has been fixing a few last things and then we'll put it up for rent.  The last few times my husband has mowed the lawn, he discovered that somebody has been walking their dog on the property and letting the dog poop in the yard.  We'd obviously like this to stop.

My husband's thought was that he'd put up a "No Trespassing" sign in the area of our yard where he thinks the dog owner most likely enters, and he'll collect the poop and place a pile of it on a pile in front of the sign, as a clear "this means you, dog owner."  He'll leave it for a day or two, then dispose of the poop the normal way.  Does this sound reasonable to you?  We don't know which neighbor/dog it is, so we can't speak to them directly about it.  If we do figure it out, we will of course go the direct route.  My thought is that this makes it clear that somebody is maintaining the property and doesn't want the dog pooping in it, in case the dog owner thought the property was vacant and not being maintained.  And it doesn't create a hazard or harm anyone (the poop will not leave our property).  Thoughts?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Does this sound okay? Dog pooping on lawn.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the poop pile, that seems like a lot of trouble (and icky trouble!) for your DH. Someone who respects your property will respect the no trespassing sign, and someone who doesn't will walk right past the poop and continue to use your lawn.  :-\

Syrse

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
I would personally put the 'private property' sign up, along with a 'no dog toilet' sign. The poop itself might be a bit rubbing it in, and a sign is going to be greeted with less offense, I think. It's also very clear, and can't be misunderstood.

That said, just because it was uninhabited, doesn't mean it's a free for all pooping ground  ??? Why do people feel like they can just up and do that?

YummyMummy66

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
I don't remember the exact wording or where to get one, but there is a sign that says, "No dog poop" or "Please poop on your own lawn" or somethign like that.

That is what I would put up and also, maybe a no trespassing sign.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
Put some sprinklers there that turn on if someone goes near.

Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »
Put some sprinklers there that turn on if someone goes near.

I like this idea, partially because you really don't know if someone is walking their dog on the lawn, or if they just let the dog out to wander the neighborhood a couple times a day. Dogs can't read signs, if it's a dog walking itself. Shouldn't be done, but I've seen it more than a few times in my life.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »
I don't see the need for piling up poop next to a no trespass sign. I would instead install something like these on the edge of both sides of the property.
http://www.dogpoopsigns.com/no-dog-poop-signs.aspx

Promise

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
It's possible that if you put up a dog poop sign the perp will deliberately choose your lawn just to be snarky. Our town has a law about dog owners have to pick up after their dogs but no one really enforces it. I think it's something you live with. I have two dogs and really you can't stop them much from where they stop to go. However, most good dog owners take a plastic back with them just for this purpose. You put you hand in the bag, scoop it up, turn the bag inside out, knot it and toss it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
I don't think it's right at the edge, though, it's in the middle of the yard.  So either the dog is loose or being let loose onto the yard (and there are leash laws in the city).

The dog poop sign is a good idea, it's just that my husband needed to head over now and didn't have access to any (but we did have a No Trespassing sign on hand).  If it continues, we could try to look for something like that.  I know that when we had a dog, we certainly *did* stop her from going where she wanted to go if it was on somebody else's property (and she was an 80-pound black Lab, not a little dog).  We'd pull her leash if she stopped and tried to squat, or, if that failed, we'd give her a shove so that it was too uncomfortable.  She was allowed to poop on the neighborhood field (permitted as long as you bagged it afterwards, which we did).  So I don't think "you can't stop them" is an excuse, although picking up afterwards seems like the *least* somebody could do.

I'm going to really hope that it's just somebody who figures, hey, biological waste, unowned property, no harm no foul, and that they'll stop when they see the No Trespassing sign right where they enter.  Since we won't be living there ourselves, we can't keep an eye out to see who it is, but if they don't stop by the time renters move in, maybe the renters will figure it out.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
I have a lady in my neighborhood who walks her dog every night and she never cleans up when her dog poops in someones yard.  I caught her watching her dog do her business in my yard and she started walking away.  I walked out my door and yelled "Hey, clean that up!"  Her reply?  "you have a dog, so just clean it up with your dogs " and she kept walking  :o :o  Maybe whoever is allowing their dog to do their business there will stop once it is inhabited, but you can put up all the signs you want, if they are rude enough to not clean up after their dog in the first place, no matter where they go, no sign is going to matter to them. 

Promise

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
Your post reminds me of that awful dog owner who picked up his dog's waste in a bag and then tossed the bag itself in his neighbor's landscaping. He was caught on a security camera doing it multiple times. We have a public bike/walking path that has signs on both ends and waste cans throughout for dog owners and I will find dog poo right in the middle of the path! How hard is it to get a stick and at least push it off the path? I hope the sign works and perhaps the perp is a reader here!

Otterpop

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
I have a lady in my neighborhood who walks her dog every night and she never cleans up when her dog poops in someones yard.  I caught her watching her dog do her business in my yard and she started walking away.  I walked out my door and yelled "Hey, clean that up!"  Her reply?  "you have a dog, so just clean it up with your dogs " and she kept walking  :o :o  Maybe whoever is allowing their dog to do their business there will stop once it is inhabited, but you can put up all the signs you want, if they are rude enough to not clean up after their dog in the first place, no matter where they go, no sign is going to matter to them.

You are within your rights to scoop it up and deposit it in her yard, no baggie, each.and.every.time. Or, start recording with your smart phone.  People really don't like that and usually hurry away.

After being a doormat for years and seeing how people escalate in the face of no resistance, I am away more assertive.  No more problems *knock on wood*.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:39:20 PM by Otterpop »

alkira6

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
If this does not work, go buy a large industrial sized jar of ground black pepper.  Sprinkle it liberally on the yard where the deposits are most often found and at the edges of the property. Dogs will sniff before they go and the pepper will irritate them without permanent damage. It works as aversion therapy.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
Thanks, Alkira!  That's a good thing to know.  I tried that with the cat who kept digging out our plants so it could poop in our plant pots on our front stoop.  I'd heard that cayenne pepper worked, so I sprinkled a ton.  Didn't work on that cat, unfortunately.  So I "planted" a bunch of plastic forks in the dirt, tines up, as my mother-in-law suggested.  That worked great.  No empty space to squat, so the cat stopped.  Can't do that in a yard!  But I'll ask my husband if the dog seems to like certain areas to make the pepper thing a possibility.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
http://www.safetysign.com/Property+Control+Signs/Pet+-+Animal+Control+Signs/F7583/8274.htmlI like this sign. Our municipality put this up.

For those who don't want to click it says something like " dear dog guardians, please clean up after your dogs. Dear dog grrr woof grr gr woof woof"