Author Topic: Food That Isn't What People Think it Is.  (Read 17782 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Food That Isn't What People Think it Is.
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »
One of the weirdest foods I ever ate was supposed to be "steak au poivre". However, the dish as produced looked like ordinary beef stew.

It turns out, due to a tragic error in translation, "steak au poivre" had turned into "steak with pears". People biting into the white chunks that looked like potatoes got a really unexpected taste sensation.

*gasping on the floor laughing*

Library Dragon

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
To me, pigs in a blanket are what I used to get at IHOP when I was a kid in the 60's: breakfast sausages rolled in pancakes.  Man, I miss the old IHOPs - great fake Swiss chalet buildings, waitresses in those silly Bavarian style outfits, what seemed like a hundred kinds of syrup on the table...

Oh yes! I always ordered one of the international pancake dishes and felt so sophisticated.  I'm one those odd people who doesn't like syrup on my pancakes, so lemon, butter, and a little confectioners sugar was perfect for me. 

Twik: I'm now craving real steak au poivre.  No pears in it though. :)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
To me, pigs in a blanket are what I used to get at IHOP when I was a kid in the 60's: breakfast sausages rolled in pancakes.  Man, I miss the old IHOPs - great fake Swiss chalet buildings, waitresses in those silly Bavarian style outfits, what seemed like a hundred kinds of syrup on the table...

Oh yes! I always ordered one of the international pancake dishes and felt so sophisticated.  I'm one those odd people who doesn't like syrup on my pancakes, so lemon, butter, and a little confectioners sugar was perfect for me. 

Twik: I'm now craving real steak au poivre.  No pears in it though. :)

Pigs in blankets to me is sausages wrapped in bacon and cooked. I really want some now.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
How about the Egg Cream? 

This is a NYC Classic drink that's probably on the endangered species list.  The thing contains neither egg nor cream.  It is delicious and is easy to make but you must have one specific ingredient. 

Recipe.

Select a tall glass. Add...

Up to a tablespoon of Foxe's U-Bet syrup. No other brand will do.   Chocolate is rhe preferred flavor but a sophisticate may opt for coffee.

An equal amount of chilled milk. 

Fill the glass with chilled seltzer. 

Mix and enjoy. 

In the 1970s, luncheonettes in mid-town Manhattan would advertise 'Last Egg Cream Before Grand Central'. 

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
Chicken fried steak is not chicken.  The name always confused me growing up.  Even now I had to look it up.  My dad made a version of it growing up, but called it fried steak.  He coated it with a flour mixture and fried it in a frying pan.  I don't like fried anything with exception to french fries, but I thought it was very good when he made it. 

My parents always made strawberry shortcake with homemade biscuits and the strawberry topping (strawberries that had sat with sugar on them in a bowl overnight to make it juicy).  There was no whipped cream.  It was never my favorite dessert.  I liked the strawberry part, but disliked the biscuits.  So when people go on and on about how much they love strawberry shortcake, I always wondered why. 

Kariachi

« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
Chicken fried steak is not chicken.  The name always confused me growing up.  Even now I had to look it up.  My dad made a version of it growing up, but called it fried steak.  He coated it with a flour mixture and fried it in a frying pan.  I don't like fried anything with exception to french fries, but I thought it was very good when he made it. 

My parents always made strawberry shortcake with homemade biscuits and the strawberry topping (strawberries that had sat with sugar on them in a bowl overnight to make it juicy).  There was no whipped cream.  It was never my favorite dessert.  I liked the strawberry part, but disliked the biscuits.  So when people go on and on about how much they love strawberry shortcake, I always wondered why.

See, I used to grab a plate of shortcake and have a bowl of strawberries on the side. That way my shortcake didn't get all mushy and strawberry-y.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »
Strawberry shortcake in New England is going to be very different than strawberry shortcake served in the Deep South of the US.  Someone may love one and detest the other.  It's just a question of what you're used to.

On our house, shortcake was made as often with peaches or blackberries as with strawberries. Apples could even be used.  It just depended on what fruit was ripening in the back yard or cheap at the market.  My mother even tried a rhubarb shortcake once.  That wasn't a great success.

Hillia

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
My ILs had never liked corned beef, because MIL didn't know how to cook it (she just roasted it in the oven like any other hunk of beef). Now that she knows, they have it every month or so.  One of FIL's brothers came to dinner one night and threw a big fit that they were feeding him horsemeat - he knows what horsemeat looks like, he ate it in Germany in the 50's when he was stationed there.  It's horsemeat, I tell you!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Pen^2

« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »
DH and I found out a funny fact today.

We've been eating out at different places almost every day (our belongings from moving overseas haven't arrived yet, so we can't cook) and have had burgers with bacon, bacon pasta, and probably a dozen other bacon dishes as a result. We were told off-handedly by a friend today that since we live in a Muslim area, all the bacon/pork in all restaurants is actually made from turkey.

We couldn't tell the difference--except that on average, it was slightly better cooked than back in our home country.

We are impressed. Fake bacon that tastes indistinguishable from the real thing? Healthier, more sustainable, less land and energy required to raise the animal, and is accessible to all (there are several) religious groups in our area? Ehell, yes! Behold the coming of the turkon!

Jocelyn

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
Pen, I've not found turkey bacon or sausage that tasted just like pork. IMO, it's like veggieburgers- tasty enough if you think of it as a different product in its own right. Can you get any information about the brand name of this bacon delight?

Library Dragon

« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
Pen, I've not found turkey bacon or sausage that tasted just like pork. IMO, it's like veggieburgers- tasty enough if you think of it as a different product in its own right. Can you get any information about the brand name of this bacon delight?

YEs, please share. Most turkey bacon makes me want to scrape the taste off my tongue.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
All extended family breakfasts must have both, with turkey bacon being cooked first. The turkey bacon has a more toasted flavor to me.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
DH and I didn't take our children out to eat at restaurants when they were young. My parents took the kids to a buffet restaurant. The desserts and salads with toppings were next to each other. DSon thought that an off-white colored, creamy-looking food item was vanilla pudding, so he served up a large pile of it on his plate.

He put a heaping spoon of it in his mouth.......it was real mayonnaise.  ??? and  >:(

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »

Think of it as chicken-fried steak. It's steak, but prepared the same was as you'd make fried chicken. :)  They also serve chicken-fried chicken, to be extra confusing! (It's basically boneless fried chicken.)

m2kbug

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »
I don't know if mine really falls in line with the topic, but we have a lot of a particular group in my area.  I was asked to bring a salad to the pot luck, which I did.  Turns out when they say salad, they mean Jello+stuff in it.  Who knew?  :D