Author Topic: But He's Doing it Mummy - spin off of playgournd tattletale  (Read 3817 times)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
Re: But He's Doing it Mummy - spin off of playgournd tattletale
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
I would go with "It doesn't matter what they do, it matters what you do and I want you to follow the rules." 

This is the younger variation of "If your friends jumped off the bridge, would you do it too?"  ;)

I once earned a slap from my mom for replying to that question with "That depends: is the bridge on fire?"

As for your first line, I completely agree.

Oh dear, I just laughed out loud and earned many strange looks!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
I get that a lot with my kids.  If it's rule based, I just reiterate the rule and add something like, "Let his parents take care of him."

If it's a parenting based thing (running around the playground without shoes, etc.) I just say something like, "Honey, I'm not his mother.  YOU need to wear shoes."

Recently some kids were playing on top of a box that houses a sprinkler system control at our park.  A group of parents who seemed to be attached to the kids were standing right there and not telling them to get down, so I decided to MYOB.  Until my kids wanted to climb up there.  I pulled them aside and quietly stated that I didn't want them up there because I didn't want them to fall off and since it wasn't really part of the playground equipment, they (my kids) shouldn't be up there anyway. 

Apparently, another woman sitting near me (and away from the rest of the group) was one of the kids' parents.  She shot me a dirty look and then walked over to the box and yelled at her son to get down.  I felt like a jerk at first but then I got over it.  I wasn't loudly condemning their parenting, I was just telling my kids why I didn't want them up there.  I suppose next time I'll make sure there are no parents around me so I don't accidentally offend anyone.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »
I think that saying something like "In our family the rule is no boosts*" is fine.

What is not fine is telling at 10 yo boy who is complaining that he has to go with Mom into the ladies while our four cousins (7, 6, 4, 3 at the time) go into the men's that the reason our kids are going into the mens is we want them to be kidnapped, (left out to keep from triggering bad ads), and killed.

It is not ok to tell my nephew he can't climb on a piece of climbing equipment[size=78%] because he is shorter than your kid, and you don't want your kid on the equipment. (Nephew was smack in the middle of the height requirements and more than capable)[/size]

[size=78%]*Family rule you can climb all the equipment on the playground made for climbing but NO-One is allowed to give a boost. [/size]Theory[size=78%] being if you can get up  - you can get down.)[/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

marcel

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 05:48:33 AM »
This is the younger variation of "If your friends jumped off the bridge, would you do it too?"  ;)
Off course yopu should never ask that question because the most sensible answer is: "Yes, probably I would" as best explained by Randal:
Wherever you go..... There you are.