Author Topic: How much would you order?  (Read 7143 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: How much would you order?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
I like Miss Jeanne's suggestion.  I do have a question, though.  Why only a dozen buns for 20 people?

Reread my post.  The amounts were for 8 people so she would need to calculate how much of the listed items would be needed for 20.   I would probably buy 2 dozen Kaiser rolls for 20 people, assuming there were plenty of side dishes.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
Ahhh... I saw 20 people in your intro and didn't connect the recipe for the OP.  Makes sense now.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
If you are making your own sandwiches I love the following:
One roast supermarket chicken chilled and then all the meat taken off in slices or shredded(in my neck of the wood this is cheaper than an uncooked one unless there is a sale)
White bread or soft small buns
Mayo
Tomato
Salt and pepper

I love it with hot chicken as well but that is very informal as my husband and I end up pulling the meat if with or fingers.

For anyone using a supermarket rotisserie chicken, I'd recommend reversing the order of the bolded: take the meat off and then chill. I've found that the meat comes off incredibly easily as long as it's still hot from the store, but it's much, much harder to get the meat off once it's cold. I usually get all the meat off as soon as I get home and get the refrigerated items put away. Then the meat can be popped in the refrigerator for later slicing/use.

Curious Cat

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
One roast supermarket chicken chilled and then all the meat taken off in slices or shredded(in my neck of the wood this is cheaper than an uncooked one unless there is a sale)
Mayo
Tomato
Salt and pepper

I love it with hot chicken as well but that is very informal as my husband and I end up pulling the meat if with or fingers.

For anyone using a supermarket rotisserie chicken, I'd recommend reversing the order of the bolded: take the meat off and then chill. I've found that the meat comes off incredibly easily as long as it's still hot from the store, but it's much, much harder to get the meat off once it's cold. I usually get all the meat off as soon as I get home and get the refrigerated items put away. Then the meat can be popped in the refrigerator for later slicing/use.
I agree with Onyx in terms of the order of taking the meat off of the chicken.  If I was making this I'd probably also have bowls of chopped/diced apples, nuts and raisins for people to add to their chicken salad. 

OP that ham sounds delectable!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
Mayo
Tomato
Salt and pepper

I agree with Onyx in terms of the order of taking the meat off of the chicken.  If I was making this I'd probably also have bowls of chopped/diced apples, nuts and raisins for people to add to their chicken salad. 

OP that ham sounds delectable!

Oh it is! :) DH doesn't cook often but when he does, he can turn out a fine meal indeed! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »
Mayo
Tomato
Salt and pepper

Thanks for the correction. That would work best. And that's usually how I actually end up doing it because I usually have the sandwiches with warm chicken first ( basically put  the chicken on the table and cut off slices)  and then strip of the rest and put it in the fridge. I goofed on my directions when trying to make it a bit more formal.

And now I think I need to do a picnic in the park.

Library Dragon

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »
Okay, update. As we have an electric roaster, DH has decided he wants to throw a ham into the roaster the night before and he'll take care of the meat.  His ham is pretty good as he mixes orange juice, pumpkin spices and a citrus soda.  It turns out to be very, very good.

And as it turns out my IL's are coming to the baptism but not staying for the meal but my brother and his gf will be.  So it'll be 8 people in all.

Yummy!  Okay, 8 people means more ham for me  ;)
This sounds like a great option, easy, but DH personal recipe.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
Well as it turns out we didn't need that much food after all! My in laws are both very allergic to cats though FIL is worse than MIL.  When he comes over he will sit on the porch the whole time and if he comes inside at all it's for maybe about 5 minutes at most.   But we were happy that they came to the baptism so we were okay and understanding of them not coming to the house.

My brother and girlfriend didn't come back to the house either as they had other plans for Mother's Day, which is also fine.  I kind of expected that with it being that holiday, people would be busy and it worked out pretty well in the end, as it gave us time to eat and pack up the van and get on the road earlier than we had expected to.  So DH had plenty of ham left to eat for the rest of the week!

I also discovered a potato salad I actually like!  I got it from Martin's, a red skinned potato salad that I think must have had some dill in it as well.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata