General Etiquette > Techno-quette

That's not something you "like"

(1/7) > >>

Knitterly:
Maybe this is my own personal bias - emotions are running VERY high around the issue, so I'll try to summarize generically, then follow up with specifics if it seems like it's needed.

When you post condolences to someone on their horrible, tragic loss... does a facebook "like" mean something different to people?

To me, it means that I like what you've said.  As it, I like it.  It's a good thing and I like it.  Like I like ice cream or chocolate.  I like pictures of kitties and puppies and your super cute kids!  I like status updates that say you're engaged or buying a house or having a baby or getting a new car.  I like status updates about sunny weather and enjoying walks in the rain.

But if you post that someone has DIED??  I don't like that.  I don't click like.  If I want to agree with you, I will post a comment.  If I don't know what to say, I'll just post a heart on your post, or a sad face.

So why, when you post a link to something that says someone has died (brutally and senselessly, I might add), would someone even think that the "like" button is appropriate?

I can post something less generic if people feel like the specific circumstances matter.

Yvaine:
I have definitely encountered the concept of the "sympathy like," and sometimes people will even explain in the comments that that's what they're doing.

Another thing is that sometimes when someone dies, the post will be a glowing eulogy of everything awesome they ever did, and one isn't "liking" the death but "liking" the things the person did while alive.

Hillia:
I think people hit 'Like' in those circumstances just as a show of solidarity, not to say they like what's happened.  It's a quick way to acknowledge the post without saying anything.

Outdoor Girl:
I completely agree with you.  I don't think the specifics matter, here, even though I'm guessing it is about the missing person, now homicide case from your area.

If I posted that my grandmother died in her sleep at 98, I still wouldn't want to see someone like the post.  Now if I posted a funny story about my grandmother and somebody liked that, that would be fine.

hobish:

--- Quote from: Hillia on May 14, 2013, 06:05:20 PM ---I think people hit 'Like' in those circumstances just as a show of solidarity, not to say they like what's happened.  It's a quick way to acknowledge the post without saying anything.

--- End quote ---

This.
Getting upset because people use FB differently than you do is going to cause you to be upset an awful lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version