Author Topic: Cooking gluten free, but with gluten for the rest of the family?  (Read 897 times)

Syrse

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot, but here goes.

My doctor gave me the 'gluten-intolerant' stamp last week (hooray  :P) and I've been scrambling to adapt to the diet. I did wonder: are there gluten free people here who are the only ones at home? DH says he doesn't mind going me in the gluten-free, but I am reluctant about raising Babysyrse without any of it in her diet. How do I combine this? Is it, for instance, enough to have her eat bread/cereal in the morning, and make the evening meal gluten free? Do you cook separate meals at night? Different sides?

As a side note, it seems there are no burgers on our butcher's gluten-free list. I could make them myself, but I was thinking of maybe making a batch at them at a time, so I can freeze them in. Maybe do the same with a good schnitzel recipe? Then I can just cook one for myself, and others for the rest of the troops.

I also have family members suddenly insisting they feed Babysyrse gluten-free stuff at their home, but that's a whole other pickle. I'm thinking 'The doctor told us that's a bad idea' is going to be used a lot for that one.

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Cooking gluten free, but with gluten for the rest of the family?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
I do not have a gluten intolerance, but I do have quite a list of food allergies.  From my experience, it is just easier to cook/prepare one version and keep the whole family on the same diet.  Not that you have to be militant about it, it just saves time and aggravation on your part.

If you want your DH and baby to have some gluten products, you can always serve bread with meals or for snacks have crackers and such.  Keep bread and tortillas in the house for sandwiches and wraps for non dinner meals.

There is a happy medium here, you just have to find the balance for you and your family, that all y'all can live with.  Best of luck.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Rohanna

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
I don't think there's any particular harm to her eating gluten with some meals and not others- I wouldn't restrict it from her diet without medical reason though, as being comfortable with eating a variety of foods is only going to be helpful (plus the "gluten free" stuff is expensive!).

I have severe lactose intolerance- for some things I will make one batch that we all can eat, but when it's using expensive or harder to get items (like the occasional time I can get the ingredients for lasagna), or the substitutes aren't as "nice" I will make 2 batches. If I'm making, say, pizza, everyone else gets a regular one and I will make 1/2 no cheese, or half with lactose-free cheese or Daiya. I won't make everyone eat the Daiya, because while it's not bad, it's not mozzeralla and it's pricy.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Zizi-K

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
For family meals (dinner, I assume) I would suggest getting to know those cuisines which are naturally gluten-free. Corn tortillas make Mexican food a wonderful option, and if you pick up some gluten-free soy sauce and rice noodles, most of Asia opens to you. Rice, potatoes, quinoa - many sides/starches are naturally gluten-free, and no one will miss pasta when they have pad thai. Making two different things sounds like a huge pain, and kids+hubs can easily have those things (like pizza, pasta) when they go out to dinner and during other meals. Or, on those occasions when you really want pasta yourself, and make them regular noodles while you have the GF. Alternatively, you all can eat the same thing but they get a nice piece of baguette on the side.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
If you are cooking two different meals, you have to remember things like using different spoons and not sticking the gluten one in the gluten free pot.  A friend at work is GF.  Her family is really supportive but she and her brother were cooking pasta in the kitchen, with the GF in a separate pot.  Without thinking, brother used the wrong spoon to stir the GF pot.  They both realized it right away and no harm was done but it was a bit of a pain.

So based on her experiences, I'd recommend that you cook the same meal for everyone.  There are lots of meals that would be naturally GF.  You just have to read the ingredients on store bought sauces really carefully.  Then, as others indicated, DH and baby can have an additional bread or cereal item and, of course, order something in.  You could even do a 'leftovers' night, where DH and baby order pizza and you eat some GF leftovers.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Rohanna

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »
I cook with 2 types of spoon when I'm making something that I can't eat- I use wooden and plastic stirrers so I remember which one I used in which pot. Maybe something like that would help you too?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Syrse

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21:08 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far  :)
I love the different spoon idea or just adding bread, also the leftover night.
I'm finding the food labels very clear on the matter, and I am loving the gluten free symbol, makes my life so much easier  :)

About the spoons; I've heard that anything wooden should be replaced, because they are probably gluten contaminated: is this at all true? I guess I'll need a different rolling pin. Should I decontaminate my cookie cutters?  :P

Iris

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
I am the only one who CAN have gluten in my house. I get plenty of gluten in my breakfast and lunch and really don't miss it in dinner. There is so much out there now, especially if you are cooking, that I don't feel it is a sacrifice. When I feel the need for something gluteny I have it but that is pretty rare.

In terms of decontamination years ago the dietician told us that a dishwasher cycle will decontamination most things. However, as I said that was years ago so take it with a grain of salt.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

magicdomino

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
I was just wondering, is there anything wrong with someone who isn't gluten-intolerent going without gluten?  Is it an essential ingredient?  It's just wheat protein, and there are plenty of alternative sources of plant protein, like corn and beans.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
I don't think there is any problem going gluten free, even if you don't have to.  The big issue is bread.  Gluten free bread has come a long way but it still isn't a good as regular bread.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
I don't think there is any problem going gluten free, even if you don't have to.  The big issue is bread.  Gluten free bread has come a long way but it still isn't a good as regular bread.

I found an awesome brand of gluten-free bread (Genius), but it is $7 for a small loaf. :'(  So no toast for me until I learn how to make my own!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

EllenS

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »
I was just wondering, is there anything wrong with someone who isn't gluten-intolerent going without gluten?  Is it an essential ingredient?  It's just wheat protein, and there are plenty of alternative sources of plant protein, like corn and beans.

The problem is not missing the gluten itself- it is missing other nutrients, fiber, etc that you lose when avoiding gluten.  We tried a low/no gluten diet for a while (looking to reduce inflammation), including gf baking.  We found a big difference with gf flours, even self-mixed, tend to be very high in starch and low in fiber (to try to get a good rise).  Can be constipating.
Also, the easiest way to avoid gluten is to avoid grains and grain - based products, but that also means you are missing out on certain B vitamins and some other nutrients (don't have my research to hand).

It is all replaceable, but you do have to pay attention and sometimes your dietary replacements are missing things you would not think about - so it takes a lot of self-education.  Basically, any massive restriction in your diet means you are losing the advantages of variety, and have to work to get all your bases covered.
Personally, I would want all my options open with a baby/little kid in the house - just to make sure they are getting as much variety as possible.

Good luck, OP!  I know your health is worth it, you'll do a great job, and I hope you will be feeling much better soon!

Rohanna

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
The other problem is you need to be very careful with gluten free replacements as many tend to be very high In sugars - many people have gotten into trouble going "gluten-free" for "health" reasons and ended up eating way more refined sugars than they normally would.

The people who tend to feel healthier going gluten-free without have g health issues are those who replaced processed carbs with home cooked meals - and felt lighter and better from that :)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »
I definitely wouldn't bother with separate cooking!

Just have cereals, snacks and perhaps bread in the house that the gluten tolerators can enjoy.   Eating gluten free isn't going to do them any harm, particularly if its only the meals you are sharing.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"