Author Topic: Jeremy Irons and littering packaging in a supermarket  (Read 6397 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Jeremy Irons and littering packaging in a supermarket
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »
There was something I neglected to mention:  this is a contributing factor to food going bad.

Nobody these days has the time to shop every day to purchase everything fresh to be prepared that day, especially if you are self-employed.  What is compounding her problem is that the stores near her have been raising their prices insanely so that she has to now go three neighborhoods away to shop, which is impractical to do more than twice a week.*  This requires serious meal-planning and containers for preservation of fresh ingredients and/or leftovers.

There were some leftovers at the party, which I put into those containers and stacked neatly in the fridge.  They needed that food to see them through a week of heavy work with deadlines (They work at home).

As for the plastic wrap, I brought mine with me this time, used what I needed to, and took it back.  Neither of us had the $$$ to waste this year.

*She and her husband have a rent-stabilized apartment, for anyone suggesting they move.

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »
The more I think about this, the more it just seems like an elaborate publicity stunt to publisize this new movie he's made:

Irons is ... headed to the Lebanese city of Sidon for his documentary Trashed, which focuses on the mountains of rubbish blighting the area

Cuz let's face it. In the real world, does any of us believe that Jeremy Irons does his own grocery shopping?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
I use to work at a grocery store and it never bothered me to throw away customer's garbage, which happens more often than you think (garbage, not activism).  I have to be there and work anyway.  I get paid the same no matter what job I was doing.  The front line also has no power.  So yeah, he's protesting to the wrong people.  Most likely, the workers just toss Mr. Iron's trash and go about their day without another thought.

He'd be better off writing letters, starting a letter campain, or posting pictures of the amount of packaging is being wasted.  He's not making the world a better place by what he's doing now.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
The more I think about this, the more it just seems like an elaborate publicity stunt to publisize this new movie he's made:

Irons is ... headed to the Lebanese city of Sidon for his documentary Trashed, which focuses on the mountains of rubbish blighting the area

Cuz let's face it. In the real world, does any of us believe that Jeremy Irons does his own grocery shopping?

I don't it's really just publicity. Mr. Irons has been a long at time advocate for recycling. He has been seen many times going through public trash cans to pick out recyclable items. But I agree this strategy is probably not going to be effective.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
There was something I neglected to mention:  this is a contributing factor to food going bad.

Nobody these days has the time to shop every day to purchase everything fresh to be prepared that day, especially if you are self-employed.  What is compounding her problem is that the stores near her have been raising their prices insanely so that she has to now go three neighborhoods away to shop, which is impractical to do more than twice a week.*  This requires serious meal-planning and containers for preservation of fresh ingredients and/or leftovers.

There were some leftovers at the party, which I put into those containers and stacked neatly in the fridge.  They needed that food to see them through a week of heavy work with deadlines (They work at home).
As for the plastic wrap, I brought mine with me this time, used what I needed to, and took it back.  Neither of us had the $$$ to waste this year.

*She and her husband have a rent-stabilized apartment, for anyone suggesting they move.

I am totally confused by this post...

Self employed people have less time that other employed people? 

You need food more if you have a heavy workload & deadlines?

I think you have gotten off track about Jeremy Irons and this thread.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
Venus, I'm afraid you've lost me as well.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
Then forget it., particularly since it isn't clear to me what Mr Irons considered to be excessive or what the materials themselves were.

heartmug

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »

I think you might be on to something.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »
It just doesn't sound like a very well thought out protest.  If he's that adamant that excessive packaging not be used, why not just boycott the product altogether?  Purchasing it and then leaving the detris for someone else to throw away kind of defeats the purpose of his protest.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
Especially since the people who do the cleaning up have nothing to do with the packaging policies of the companies whose products they sell.

lowspark

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
It just doesn't sound like a very well thought out protest.  If he's that adamant that excessive packaging not be used, why not just boycott the product altogether?  Purchasing it and then leaving the detris for someone else to throw away kind of defeats the purpose of his protest.

Excellent point! I mean, regardless of where he disposes of the packaging, be it in the grocery store or in his home, it's pretty much going to end up in the same place!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »
I have heard of this method before - although not done by a celebrity. It is assuming that a business has more clout then an individual consumer and if the business gets fed up with all the packaging they have to dispose of they will lean on the manufacturer to fix it.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »
I just love when customers think scrabbling over us store employees will end with "Hey, Corporate Boss I've never met, can you change your return policies / packaging / prices ? I feel so bad for the nutter who just made a mess for me to clean up."  ::)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
How much was he buying, that he had a "mountain of packaging" left over?  I'm looking at what I just bought at the store today (~$150 worth of groceries) - if I kept only the packaging necessary to keep food from spilling/sloshing/leaking out, AND you discount things like paper plates (which he'd probably be against anyway), I don't think I'd be able to make more than a cubic foot or so of trash, and that's if I didn't squish anything down.

ETA: just went and looked (only a few things were put away already).  Two grocery bags, two plastic produce bags, and a bit of plastic netting.  Everything else was necessary for holding the contents in.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
To me the most unnecessary packaging are the ginormous plastic things on electronics that are harder to break into than Fort Knox.  I don't know if that stuff can be recycled, but if it can't there needs to be a better solution.