Author Topic: This is somehow my fault...  (Read 12052 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: This is somehow my fault...
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
No, there's no way you could have anticipated this.  You shouldn't think about it any more.  Mom was probably still in "Getthatoutofyourmouthrightnow!" mode and sounded harsher than she meant.

Let's not forget the threat I posted not too long ago about my DH eating crystal air freshener that he thought was candy.  Even adults put stupid things in their mouth sometimes.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
At that age, someone should have been with the child in the bathroom.  I would never let a child that young go to the bathroom by themselves just yet.

Wow, really?

I sure would--and did.

Bramble

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »
I made sure my kids knew, at a young age, that everything in the bathroom was Mr. Yuk.

Am I the only person flashing on the "Mr. Men" series of kid's books when I read that sentence?

http://themistermen.co.uk/mrmen.html

Mr. Yuk refers to a sticker widely used in the US to designate poisonous household substances in a way that children can easily identify as bad.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_yuk

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »
Well, I'm betting she doesn't do that again anytime soon.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. 

Coralreef

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
;D  This is a self correcting error.

This.  ;D Kids figure out not to eat soap because soap tastes awful.

Learning experience for the kid.  She learned soap can be a solid, it tastes bad, is found in some bathrooms.  Mom needs to relax, the kid will try to eat worse.  OP should not go out of her way to remove soap from her house / bathroom. 

Then again, I had a neighbour who's kid would eat soap and he was around 6 or 7 YO.  It didn't matter if it was plain soap, he would either eat or drink it.  Scented soaps were banned from that house and she kept all soaps in locked cabinets.  That was a weird, weird kid. 

[/right

shygirl

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
At that age, someone should have been with the child in the bathroom.  I would never let a child that young go to the bathroom by themselves just yet.

Wow, really?

I sure would--and did.

The child is about 2.5 years old and still potty training, so seems reasonable that she still needs an adult with her to go the bathroom.  Also, aren't most adult sized toilets too big for a child?  Even if the child could actually go to the bathroom by herself, she might have needed help getting up and down from the toilet.  Especially if it's a new place, and they don't have those handy stepping stools around.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
Wow, no OP, this is beyond the pale. I would throw away that bar of soap, though.  ::)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
The child is about 2.5 years old and still potty training, so seems reasonable that she still needs an adult with her to go the bathroom.  Also, aren't most adult sized toilets too big for a child?  Even if the child could actually go to the bathroom by herself, she might have needed help getting up and down from the toilet.  Especially if it's a new place, and they don't have those handy stepping stools around.

It really depends on the child. Some kids will need help longer than other, some kids are bigger than others, and not everyone uses a potty. We didn't. But it's irrelevant because it seems from the OP that the mother was with the child.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »

Wow, really?

I sure would--and did.

There's a difference between "never letting the kid go by herself" and "it's reasonable for that she might need help."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »
For those who asked if it was just tone or if she specifically said something that blamed me/DH, it was hard to tell.  She said something like, "Julia bit into the soap, and found out it tastes nasty."  Someone said, "What?" and Julia's mom replied with, "Well, Julia didn't know what it was, since she's never seen a bar of soap before and there wasn't any liquid soap for her to use". 

Also, Mom wasn't in the bathroom with her; Dad was in the bathroom with her and Mom went to go see what happened when the unearthly shrieking/crying/yelling combo broke out.  Dad's comment was something along the lines of "I don't think she'll ever do that again". 

One more comment - the soap was not decorated/scented in anyway to resemble specific food.  It's shaped like a hockey puck, maybe about 3 inches in diameter, tinted a very faint pink, and smells kind of floral and fruity all at the same time.  I actually made it myself when I was experimenting with how much madder root I needed to color white soap (a lot, as it turns out). 

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
For those who asked if it was just tone or if she specifically said something that blamed me/DH, it was hard to tell.  She said something like, "Julia bit into the soap, and found out it tastes nasty."  Someone said, "What?" and Julia's mom replied with, "Well, Julia didn't know what it was, since she's never seen a bar of soap before and there wasn't any liquid soap for her to use". 

I don't see how any of what she said laid blame on you. I can understand her having an angry or upset tone of voice over the situation, but this doesn't sound like she was blaming you.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »
This reminds me of the time I was in the produce section of a grocery store, and there was a mother with a young child in her cart next to me.  I picked up an orange bell pepper, and the child looked at it and started screaming.  The mother gave me the look of death.

I hope the child doesn't grow up to need therapy because I thoughtlessly exposed her to the horror of orange peppers.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
This reminds me of the time I was in the produce section of a grocery store, and there was a mother with a young child in her cart next to me.  I picked up an orange bell pepper, and the child looked at it and started screaming.  The mother gave me the look of death.

I hope the child doesn't grow up to need therapy because I thoughtlessly exposed her to the horror of orange peppers.
You monster.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
Julia's mom trying to deflect blame for her kid trying to eat my soap.

Bingo.

and there wasn't any liquid soap for her to use". 

Without knowing the tone, that comes across to me as "how dare you not have liquid soap. My child is only used to that, so it's all your fault she ate the bar soap". That attitude would really chap my hide. 

OP, you haven't done a single thing wrong and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 06:52:07 AM »

Also, Mom wasn't in the bathroom with her; Dad was in the bathroom with her and Mom went to go see what happened when the unearthly shrieking/crying/yelling combo broke out.  Dad's comment was something along the lines of "I don't think she'll ever do that again". 
well tone is everything , of course, but it doesn't sound like she is blaming *anyone*, just stating the facts (while, i assume, trying to get child to stop shrieking).

And I think i like the dad, or at least his attitude  ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools