Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Rice Salad?

(1/3) > >>

mumma to KMC:
Hello! We are having our parish priest over for dinner on Sunday. We are planning on grilling a London broil and maybe some corn, but I'd like to do a rice side dish. Since it will be 90 here on Sunday, I'd like to so something I can make ahead and either serve chilled or just heat up right before dinner.

So, e-hellions, do you have any tried and true rice recipes that you really like?

Outdoor Girl:
I have a really good wild rice salad recipe - it is already posted in the recipes folder somewhere but I can repost it if you are interested.

It has wild rice, apples, sour cream, mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, a little dill and I'm not sure what else.  What is really nice about it is that it can be made ahead.  In fact, it should be made ahead for better flavour.

Edited to add:  Found it!

Wild Rice Salad

2 cups cooked wild rice, drained well
2 large apples, peeled and diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
fresh or frozen dill, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
garnish:  almonds, walnuts or orange slices (I've also used cranberries)

Combine the rice, apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, dill, salt and pepper and refrigerate the night before serving.  8 to 10 hours before serving, combine the mayonnaise and sour cream.  Fold into the wild rice mixture and refrigerate until serving time.  Garnish just before serving.  Serves 6 to 8.

Library Dragon:
This Insalta Caprice is my favorite rice salad.  http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29695.asp

Since you are making  London Broil you can leave out the meat and cheese.

mumma to KMC:
They both look good! :) Thanks.

Q about capers, can they be left out or subbed? I don't have any and I'm not sure if I can get them at our local grocery :(

jpcher:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on May 15, 2013, 05:53:35 PM ---I have a really good wild rice salad recipe - it is already posted in the recipes folder somewhere but I can repost it if you are interested.

It has wild rice, apples, sour cream, mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, a little dill and I'm not sure what else.  What is really nice about it is that it can be made ahead.  In fact, it should be made ahead for better flavour.

Edited to add:  Found it!

Wild Rice Salad

2 cups cooked wild rice, drained well
2 large apples, peeled and diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
fresh or frozen dill, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
garnish:  almonds, walnuts or orange slices (I've also used cranberries)

Combine the rice, apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, dill, salt and pepper and refrigerate the night before serving.  8 to 10 hours before serving, combine the mayonnaise and sour cream.  Fold into the wild rice mixture and refrigerate until serving time.  Garnish just before serving.  Serves 6 to 8.

--- End quote ---

This sounds awesome!

I make a wonderful wild rice soup with all of the above ingredients (except apple and dressing) and really miss the soup during the summer.

Thanks, Outdoor Girl, for posting this recipe. It's a must-do for my summer menu planning. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version