Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Rice Salad?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Library Dragon:

--- Quote from: mumma to KMC on May 16, 2013, 11:20:41 AM ---They both look good! :) Thanks.

Q about capers, can they be left out or subbed? I don't have any and I'm not sure if I can get them at our local grocery :(

--- End quote ---

No problem. Feel free to play with the recipe (it's mine so I can say that). Sliced green olives are a tasty alternative. 

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: jpcher on May 16, 2013, 06:01:18 PM ---This sounds awesome!

I make a wonderful wild rice soup with all of the above ingredients (except apple and dressing) and really miss the soup during the summer.

Thanks, Outdoor Girl, for posting this recipe. It's a must-do for my summer menu planning. ;D

--- End quote ---

It's a great potluck dish, too, if you have refrigeration available up to the point of serving.  My brother has this covered dish that is shaped like a duck.  He was going to a friend's place, who was vegetarian, and told them he was bringing duck salad.  She was very confused until he showed up with the salad in the duck dish.

My brother orders the rice in bulk straight from the growers.  It is cheaper than buying it at the grocery store and it is generally better quality.  About $10/pound, including shipping for us from Manitoba to Ontario.

mumma to KMC:

--- Quote from: Library Dragon on May 17, 2013, 12:07:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: mumma to KMC on May 16, 2013, 11:20:41 AM ---They both look good! :) Thanks.

Q about capers, can they be left out or subbed? I don't have any and I'm not sure if I can get them at our local grocery :(

--- End quote ---

No problem. Feel free to play with the recipe (it's mine so I can say that). Sliced green olives are a tasty alternative. 

--- End quote ---

And I have a ton of those! :)

jpcher:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on May 17, 2013, 10:11:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: jpcher on May 16, 2013, 06:01:18 PM ---This sounds awesome!

I make a wonderful wild rice soup with all of the above ingredients (except apple and dressing) and really miss the soup during the summer.

Thanks, Outdoor Girl, for posting this recipe. It's a must-do for my summer menu planning. ;D

--- End quote ---

It's a great potluck dish, too, if you have refrigeration available up to the point of serving.  My brother has this covered dish that is shaped like a duck.  He was going to a friend's place, who was vegetarian, and told them he was bringing duck salad.  She was very confused until he showed up with the salad in the duck dish.

My brother orders the rice in bulk straight from the growers.  It is cheaper than buying it at the grocery store and it is generally better quality.  About $10/pound, including shipping for us from Manitoba to Ontario.

--- End quote ---

Do you have an address? I use to order from someplace in Minnesota (I think) but have since lost the address. You're right, it is a lot cheaper and better than buying it at the grocery store.

Outdoor Girl:
Oh Canada Wild Rice
Shoal Lake Wild Rice Ltd
Keewatin, Ontario

But their address is Manitoba:

Group 525, RR#5, Box 30
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R2C 2Z2

www.shoallakewildrice.com

866-989-7696

My brother orders it by the case (12 one-pound packages, I think) and gets a wholesale price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version